Is Steve Johnson gone

Remove this Banner Ad

I know this might sound daft. Just how many weeks training do we say "Pre-Season" is?
I accept what you say about a base Phat but do we just assume there will be no interuption at the of this year?No clean up operations required?No more time lost? At what point do we start to get concerned that he is never going to catch up?
You are right 10 odd games might be as good as we can expect just as long as it not what we could ever expect

People expect so much of SJ That they are dark on him when he is missing. Like Phat said he has not had a solid (or any really) pre season for 2 or more years. Look at other at the club and think Kingy. He has missed 3 pre seasons and only now is getting some form but look at him last year with his achiles. THese things take a lot of time to recover and if SJ cant get on the track to get conditioning and strength and that is waht pre season is all about, of course he will struggle for the season.

Sando is another. He didnt get much of a pre season in and is still in trouble with a lot of soft tissue injuries.

Turbocat said:
I know this might sound daft. Just how many weeks training do we say "Pre-Season" is?

Roughly 12 solid weeks.

Turbocat said:
I accept what you say about a base Phat but do we just assume there will be no interuption at the of this year?No clean up operations required?No more time lost? At what point do we start to get concerned that he is never going to catch up?

As i understand it the current injuries are purely to do with the lack of a fitness base and playing catch up, rather than caused by his previous injuries.

I see your point about his future, however i have faith in Steve to pull his head in this year, work hard for the first time and go into the 2006 season with a solid base and thus an excellent launching pad to find his best form.

The aforementioned faith isn't based on anything concrete, just some blind faith and an expectation of maturity.

worthogs said:
People expect so much of SJ That they are dark on him when he is missing. Like Phat said he has not had a solid (or any really) pre season for 2 or more years. Look at other at the club and think Kingy. He has missed 3 pre seasons and only now is getting some form but look at him last year with his achiles. THese things take a lot of time to recover and if SJ cant get on the track to get conditioning and strength and that is waht pre season is all about, of course he will struggle for the season.

Sando is another. He didnt get much of a pre season in and is still in trouble with a lot of soft tissue injuries.

Wear and age. King has been hard at for how long.Playing when unfit in a body on body position. Sando's age is starting to show, STI are a sure sign, He will get his 200 and probably a couple of finals but it will be bye bye after that

holdencaulfield said:
I find it hard to believe that he is a smoker.
Why?
You'd be surprised how many footballers smoke, there are heaps of them.
Also in soccer especially in the Italian league nearly a third of players regularly smoke.

iameviljez said:
That's crazy, you wouldn't think there'd be any left in the AFL. Surely not
A hint of sarcasm there, or not?

yeah there are plently of afl players that smoke, although the majority of them would only casually. does sj really smoke though phat?? he he. comes across to me as the type that'd love a dart after a few ales he he. and there ain't anything wrong with that.

jmain14 said:
yeah there are plently of afl players that smoke, although the majority of them would only casually. does sj really smoke though phat?? he he. comes across to me as the type that'd love a dart after a few ales he he. and there ain't anything wrong with that.

He's very much that type mate. He'd fit right in with the football of the 80's with his smoking, drinking and attitude, but these days most are like robots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phat said:
As i understand it the current injuries are purely to do with the lack of a fitness base and playing catch up, rather than caused by his previous injuries.

GFC said:
Johnson broke the same ankle during the 2004 pre-season in an off-field mishap, but medical staff say his current problems are not related to that previous injury.

Got to say I think thats crap.
Phat , I have to say that if you find a cyst , in the same ankle it didnt just happen. Lets hope that now that they have found the problem that it means that by the end of this year he will be injury free by the finals, which for SJ is more important than fittness and the reasy for a big pre season

Yeah, possibly, but it is only 6 weeks.
He could be back by rd16 and build up some form coming into the finals. Personally, I just want him fit & firing for next year, he has the talent to kick 30-35+ for us.

patdman said:
He could be back by rd16 and build up some form coming into the finals. Personally, I just want him fit & firing for next year, he has the talent to kick 30-35+ for us.
If he's still with the Cats that is, hasn't signed a new contract yet.

Go CATS!!

patdman said:

If he has an injury free year he'll kick more than that. He's kicked 44 goals over the past 2 seasons after only playing 15 and 13 games. He's now a little more mature (playing wise, not off the field :rolleyes: ) and averages nearly 2 goals a game this year. Given some consistent game time he could be avergaing around 2.5 goals a game which would give him 50 goals a season.

Fall Out Boy said:
I see your point about his future, however i have faith in Steve to pull his head in this year, work hard for the first time and go into the 2006 season with a solid base and thus an excellent launching pad to find his best form.

The aforementioned faith isn't based on anything concrete, just some blind faith and an expectation of maturity.

Did anyone hear Bomber on SEN today. Apparently when asked how good the Dog could be, he responded in a very passive mannor. He basically said something of the sort that he can never get to be 100% in terms of preparation because of the ankle. He also mentioned he is getting better at knowing what his body can handle.

This bit of info, if true, is the crux of why I started this thread last year. This guys has basically denied himself the chance of being the footballer he could have been. No amount of pre-seasons will give him the body capable of playing 25 games in a season

Now , just clarify my position. I dont want to trade , delist or whatever the hell other option some might think im highlighting. When on and as close to fit he can get he is our best forward but he may well have been so much better. If nothing else, he should be held up as an example of what not to do with the most important tool a player has , his body.

I heard a story about jonno that I am not sure if it is true or not but we all know that he broke one of his ankles from that night at the pub but apparently the other ankle had a hairline fracture and that is the reason that he has all of the trouble because they did not originally pick it up and it has never been able to fully heal.

Turbocat said:
Did anyone hear Bomber on SEN today. Apparently when asked how good the Dog could be, he responded in a very passive mannor. He basically said something of the sort that he can never get to be 100% in terms of preparation because of the ankle. He also mentioned he is getting better at knowing what his body can handle.

This bit of info, if true, is the crux of why I started this thread last year. This guys has basically denied himself the chance of being the footballer he could have been. No amount of pre-seasons will give him the body capable of playing 25 games in a season

Now , just clarify my position. I dont want to trade , delist or whatever the hell other option some might think im highlighting. When on and as close to fit he can get he is our best forward but he may well have been so much better. If nothing else, he should be held up as an example of what not to do with the most important tool a player has , his body.

Another angle on that could be that Bomber was not talking him up as a bit of mental preparation rather than speaking about a physical limitation for the player because so far Dog has only shown flashes of his true ability. Maybe it's the ol' reverse psychology thing.

Catnip said:
Another angle on that could be that Bomber was not talking him up as a bit of mental preparation rather than speaking about a physical limitation for the player because so far Dog has only shown flashes of his true ability. Maybe it's the ol' reverse psychology thing.

Bomber's not the type to go talking up particular players as much as other coaches. Perhaps he likes to keep them level headed.

Turbocat said:
Todays Sun 2Feb2006, Pg102
Johnson out of pre-season again with scar tissue on the same ankles , maybe back by Rd 1.
What more is there to say!!!
Are you f***** serious... a link please?

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Steve Johnson gone

Remove this Banner Ad

Back