Is the 2023 Premiership team weakest of the past 3 since 1958

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 8, 2004
Canberra, Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Giants Foundation member
In terms of talent and skill, 2010 is still the best one I feel.

1990 was the most memorable though, because it broke the drought.

But, I feel players like Frampton, Mrakov, Ginnivan and Lipinksi should feel very lucky to have premiership medals.

Sure, Ginny has been great at Hawthorn this year, but he had no consistency when playing for the Pies, and his GF performance was poor.

But, I feel players like Frampton, Mrakov, Ginnivan and Lipinksi should feel very lucky to have premiership medals.

Sure, Ginny has been great at Hawthorn this year, but he had no consistency when playing for the Pies, and his GF performance was poor.
No luck in winning a premiership. We were simply the best.
Only Ginni had a bad day. He still deserved a medal.
Brisbane has some awesome talent and we managed to win.

1990 would mow 2023's team and I'd hate to see the Daicos's playing against each other!
2010 had key position players that would trouble the 2023's and it also had younger Pendles and Sidey......so yeah 1990 and 2010 were both better than 2023.

Just glad we got the job done 3 times!

1990 would mow 2023's team and I'd hate to see the Daicos's playing against each other!
2010 had key position players that would trouble the 2023's and it also had younger Pendles and Sidey......so yeah 1990 and 2010 were both better than 2023.

I don't agree. 2023 team relentless.
Both sides just as great.
Silly to compare anyway.

Yeah agree. I feel as though 1990 and 2010 teams both left another flag or two on the table. 1990 was understandable as they partied like there was no tomorrow after the big drought. So disappointing in 2011 not to back it up as that team was lethal all year. The most free-flowing team i remember in my 40-odd years of supporting the Pies. Shot ourselves in the foot, or Mick did, depending on your point of view

On paper, 2010 the best but I will be provocative and suggest that if they played MacRae style, they would have destroyed teams. Swan and Pendles elite and early 2011 Ross Lyon wondered if Daisy was the best player in the league.
We had the equal best small forward in Dids and AA intercept CHB with solid lock down FB.
All other defenders were quick, strong could run through lines and were hardly ever beaten one on one, Heater, H, Tooves and Jono.
If they were allowed to play through corridor in chaos numbers to the three top mids supported by quality kids in Sidey, Beams and Wellers and getting it in quickly to the best power forward, supported by other ok KPF in Dawes and prototype ruck forward in Brown, supported by the needed Jolley and Ball, Cloke would have had a field day without the three people jumping in his back after MM round the boundary line lead up.
I think we were a pretty complete team that didn’t have replacements for Jolley or Ball and then injuries etc took their toll. A ruthless club would have traded Cloke at end 2012 for probable two top ten picks

2023 is more talented overall. A few guys have had bad years so we're not remembering their best.

We had a two year stretch in 2010-11 where our high press was unbeatable and everything went right e.g. guys like Mcaffer, Blair, Dawes, Toovey, Leroy played above themselves, Ball/Jolly had very strong years in the twilight of their careers, Didak had career best year in 2010 then tanked, Reid/Brown played out of their skins for 2 games.

By end of 2011 our gameplan had been picked apart, 2012 injuries started hitting hard and by 2013 we'd fallen apart despite winning the flag with a very young list.

Last edited:
Pretty tough to split 2010 and 2023

It's easy to say "lol Frampton" but then 2010 had Dawes
I'm taking Beau over Macaffer myself
Moore over Reid or Brown
Jolly and Cameron are probably a wash in reality
2010 Sidebottom > 2023 Sidebottom
2010 Pendles > 2023 Pendles overall (on each GF day it's pretty close)

You could go through the whole list and it would probably ignite some pretty serious debate. Because the opposition has to play a role too and it's pretty easy to argue 2023 Brisbane is a far more talented side than 2010 St.Kilda so I feel like that should be a factor.

1990s side is pretty overrated imo. I reckon the nostalgia goggles are giving that side a pretty hefty boost. The 1990 side was a lot of tough blue collar tryers and not a tonne of genuine class/talent. It was widely accepted that we weren't the best team over the course of that season and the way we fell away post 1990 would suggest that was the case.

I reckon both 2010 and 2023 are better sides than the 1990 one myself.

In the end it's just my opinion but I reckon there's a looooot of overrated footballers in that 1990 side. But it's easy to let the top end make you forget that. The Top 6 or so was obviously quite great, but for me it falls away fairly steeply after that. But then I was 10 in 1990 so maybe my memory isn't clear enough to remember how good/bad those players were in real time? But even going back and watching old footage to refresh doesn't particularly change my mind.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moore over Reid or Brown

You could go through the whole list and it would probably ignite some pretty serious debate. Because the opposition has to play a role too and it's pretty easy to argue 2023 Brisbane is a far more talented side than 2010 St.Kilda so I feel like that should be a factor.

1990s side is pretty overrated imo. I reckon the nostalgia goggles are giving that side a pretty hefty boost. The 1990 side was a lot of tough blue collar tryers and not a tonne of genuine class/talent. It was widely accepted that we weren't the best team over the course of that season and the way we fell away post 1990 would suggest that was the case.

In the end it's just my opinion but I reckon there's a looooot of overrated footballers in that 1990 side. But it's easy to let the top end make you forget that. The Top 6 or so was obviously quite great, but for me it falls away fairly steeply after that. But then I was 10 in 1990 so maybe my memory isn't clear enough to remember how good/bad those players were in real time? But even going back and watching old footage to refresh doesn't particularly change my mind.

Not for mine Reidy had Moore covered imo.

Moore over Reid or Brown

Oh please......elaborate on "The 1990 side was a lot of tough blue collar tryers and not a tonne of genuine class/talent."
and " I reckon there's a looooot of overrated footballers in that 1990 side. But it's easy to let the top end make you forget that.".......c'mon let us all know how overrated they were?

Moore over Reid or Brown

1723531176426.png
There's a lot of class footballers in this (1990 GF) side - it goes way beyond a top 6. It's not just 'nostalgia' that make those who've been around for a while like myself rate it highly, and I think 'recency bias' may be coming into play with people rating the last couple of flag teams above it! Maybe there's 3 or so in the 1990 side who you could say were just blue-collar types (Tony Shaw was certainly in the hard-working rather than brilliant category, but since he's in our TotC he can be excused!), but I remember them as a team with a lot of top quality players. I don't think our falling away after 1990 had much to do with a lack of ability of those players.

I think this may be the weakest post since 1958

I think this may be the weakest post since 1958
Agree. But 1958 was a great time to be on BigFooty. I remember fondly trolling the Demon’s board back when they were relevant. In those days their match day threads would often run into multiple pages. We used to wonder whether Hawthorn would ever win a flag. And on our board the Sack Kyne thread was epic.
Good times.

Hard to compare but currently it's harder to win because the season is longer, more even and takes a toll. And you have to travel more. The wear and tear takes a toll on the players over the year.

none of them are the weakest premiership team. They are all different, from different eras of the game.

I love them all!
Precisely.
To even ask the question is so disrespectful of the 2023 team.
They delivered sweet 16.
They did it without the need for a replay.
It was one of the happiest days of my life.
Nothing that has happened this year diminishes that.

This thread is utter garbage.

Agree. But 1958 was a great time to be on BigFooty. I remember fondly trolling the Demon’s board back when they were relevant. In those days their match day threads would often run into multiple pages. We used to wonder whether Hawthorn would ever win a flag. And on our board the Sack Kyne thread was epic.
Good times.
And the Footscray supporters were still living in 1954

Remove this Banner Ad

Is the 2023 Premiership team weakest of the past 3 since 1958

Remove this Banner Ad

Back