Is the 2023 Premiership team weakest of the past 3 since 1958

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree. But 1958 was a great time to be on BigFooty. I remember fondly trolling the Demon’s board back when they were relevant. In those days their match day threads would often run into multiple pages. We used to wonder whether Hawthorn would ever win a flag. And on our board the Sack Kyne thread was epic.
Good times.

OK....now I feel really old cos I was there!

Yes as others have said, odd thread. For decades of my youth it seemed we'd never win one, despite playing in many.

They were all special in their own ways. Great players, good players, lucky players, WHO CARES. THEY DELIVERED.

While we await the next one, celebrate the failure of those other clubs (no names) who can't win one, let alone qualify, let alone make finals.

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would classify the 3 premierships in 3 different ways and if you agreed with the classifications then it probably comes down to personal preference. I rate it as:

2010: most talented
1990: most killer instinct
2023: most workmanlike

Of the three 2023 was clearly the most difficult, but also the weakest, IMO. What 2023 has taught me is that golden eras where clubs string 2 or 3 together are damn tough and you only need to be marginally off to fall back in the pack.

For example we all rave about sitting pretty as the best in it last year, but we had 4 matches where we had to do what Sydney did last week in order to win (Adelaide x2, AD and Port). This year we’ve had one of those go our way. We’ve also had 4 matches with 4 goal plus leads in the last Q where clubs came at us late (Hawthorn, Carlton, Sydney and Fremantle) and we’re 2-1-1 in those matches vs the 100% win rate last year (Geelong and Dees). We’ve lost that magic for whatever reason that saw us separate ourselves in close ones and it will cost us a top 4 spot.

This group rides the ebb and flow of a match much more than the other two because they don’t have the talent or killer instinct which would result in them turning those 4 goal leads into 8 goal wins. The one point I’d make though is that the extra 5 weeks off, compared to last year, will do more for this group than any top draft pick or star trade ever could!

View attachment 2078159
There's a lot of class footballers in this (1990 GF) side - it goes way beyond a top 6. It's not just 'nostalgia' that make those who've been around for a while like myself rate it highly, and I think 'recency bias' may be coming into play with people rating the last couple of flag teams above it! Maybe there's 3 or so in the 1990 side who you could say were just blue-collar types (Tony Shaw was certainly in the hard-working rather than brilliant category, but since he's in our TotC he can be excused!), but I remember them as a team with a lot of top quality players. I don't think our falling away after 1990 had much to do with a lack of ability of those players.
Gayfer and Kerro were blue collar types, but played crucial stopping roles when the game style was different.

Daicos, Brown, Millane, McGuane, Morwood and Kelly would have all been walk up starts in the 2023 team.

Shaw, Francis, Banks, Barwick, Christian, Monkey, Russell, Wright, Starcevitch, Turner and Crosisca would all have good chances to replace their positional equivalents.

Manson wasn't a great ruckman and couldn't kick, but was the original mobile around the ground marking focal point.

Gayfer and Kerro wouldn't fit the modern game.

2010 easily ..2011 was even better and didn't win ..those teams used to bash up most teams ..they thrashed Geelong in prelim bulldogs in qualifying and saints in replay ..superstars in swan pendles daisy Didak shaw and Cloke if he'd kicked straight

The competition has gotten a lot weaker and the upper class talent way more diluted. For example the saints Kilda team that never won one GF who we beat in 2010 has a better list on paper than any current AFL side. I'd argue even the Bulldogs team from a year or 2 before that who never made a GF were a better side than what we see today. You can downgrade what 2023 magpies did but it's hard to argue there will never be a more exciting run to a premiership ever again. People have short memories teams were scared that we were still in games despite being beaten and evidently we'd overrun them was guaranteed. Opposition haters try to make out it was all luck and untenable which is just them coping. A lot of people are going to be very upset when we are around the mark again next year competing for another premiership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is the 2023 Premiership team weakest of the past 3 since 1958

Remove this Banner Ad

Back