Is the end of geelong run!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Very over rated side. Will resort to their nature and return to being a rabble of a club.

Gifted lasts years flag.

Greatest side ever...LAUGHABLE !!!!

They will be up there for a few years yet. Could easily win it next year.

Age not really an issue yet and i can't really see who will step up to challenge geelong and hawthorn next year.

Sorry Geelong you have missed the boat! Their older players are now on the down hill slide,they have missed the bus,their on the wrong side of christmas and simply their not spring chickens any more!:eek:

What a stupid thread. Geelong played well below their best yesterday. I would not be the slightest bit surprised to see them win it next year. They are still a very young side.

Depends. We're not about to drop off any time soon. Don't expect another 21 win regular season any time soon, but our lineup is good enough for top 4 finishes for a few years yet.

The question that should be asked is, is this the start of the other 14 clubs catching up to Hawthorn and Geelong?

Probably Geelong's second worst performance of the year yesterday, so I wouldn't be writing them off

Most of their exceptional players are still pretty young, and even have a few youngsters that will get even better (Blake, Hawkins)

You never know, yesterday's result may spur them onto bigger and better things, and unlike Bombers of 2001 they don't have to lay people off due to age or salary cap pressure

Sorry Geelong you have missed the boat! Their older players are now on the down hill slide,they have missed the bus,their on the wrong side of christmas and simply their not spring chickens any more!:eek:

Shame that most of our good players are in the 23-26 age bracket then, isn't it? :p

I agree with The Sheik. Yesterday's game will make sure we have a steely resolve next year and make sure we are harder to beat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not as simple as it sounds.

There are 16 teams in a competetive competition that has rules in place to allow EVERY team a fair crack at the flag, each & every year. The stats are there for everyone to see. I remember when we beat the Hawks at the end of 2005 quite convincingly & they were not unlike the Melbourne of today. That was only 2 p'ships ago.

That the Hawks went on & grabbed their chance is what is fantastic about this win.
Well done to them. As for the Cats! well there is no guarantee that they will even finish top 4 next year because it will now be highly unlikely that this 'tired' group (no matter how young they are) will be as dominating in the home & away season as they have been in the past two years.
ALL the other clubs are out to bridge the gap on Geelong as Hawthorn have & the fact is that 3 or 4 teams will succeed!
The key is to try & finish top 2 or 4 at worst. Other then that you have little chance of winning the ultimate.
So the question every supporter must ask themselves is cam my team finish top 4, but better still top 2.
The Cats have won 43 from 45 before yesterday.....................but missed the one that mattered most. That's all that counts! The Hawks just grabbed what may turn out to be, perhaps, their one & only chance at flag for another 17 years. (although I don't really think so. Theyll be there again next year.)
But I think this Geelong group now needs refreshing if they are to stay at the top.
There will be blame thrown around within the club & there will have been respect lost by some of the group & factions will start to rear their ugly heads. It happens. It's human nature. Blame someone. Make someone a scapegoat for what happened.

But one thing is for sure now with the cats. The edge is GONE! They have been beaten by the only threat that there really ever was in 2008.
In 2009, there will be others queing up! It only gets tougher now!

Well done Hawks for grabbing you chance!!

No guarantees in 2009. REMEMBER THAT! No guarantees!

No, they will be back. Probably need to get Hawkins up and firing as that will make there forward line even better. Still quality on every line, their defence is still better than, probably anyones (with Egan due back too), and their midfield is top notch. Will press for many years to come.

Teams like Essendon, Brisbane and West Coast lost key personel for different reasons which is why they dropped off. Can't see it happening to Geelong.

Not as simple as it sounds.

There are 16 teams in a competetive competition

Yeah but to be fair in 2007 there was only 1 team (Geelong) who were clearly the best and all the rest were just not in their class.

Then it was 1 better in 2008 when there was Geelong and Hawthorn who were clearly the best 2 teams of the year and all the rest had zero chance of doing anything.

The last 2 seasons have been probably the weakest for true Premiership contenders.

*Not taking anything away from Cats 07' and Hawks 08' they were simply awesome*

How can a team go from winning 23 from 25 starts to be an over-rated mess that will crumble in the future ??

Faarrrk me dead ..............

The Cats will be even harder to beat next year because of what happened yesterday.

And you don't lose talent overnight, they'll be just as good next year.

They won't crubble into a rabble but they will have less of the 'secrett ingredient' - confidence.

A loss in a GF leaves scar's, teams that lose one often lift to the next level to win one the following year, teams that win and then loose one have climbed the mountain twice, the second time for a heart breaking loss.

Will Geelong get better? Possibly.

Do other teams think the Cats can't be beaten, not anymore.

How many sides make 3 GF's in a row? Not many.

The Cats should finish top 4 next year, after that who knows.

Geelong reminds me a little of WCE from a few years back.

With everyone playing dumb about their forward line.

Both teams rely on their mids to help them kick alot of their goals.
Both teams benefit from gun midfielders delivering the ball to their serviceable but not great forward line.
Both teams declared a "dynasty".
Q Lynch = C Mooney
T Lonergan = A Hansen

Yeah, i reckon this was their last chance of another flag.
Every other team is going to catch up big time over the pre-season, which will make it so difficult for Geelong to play the footy they've played all year.

stupid hawthorn thread. Of course not there still a great team.

They have won 42 of the past 45 games now........Sif you can call it then end.....

They will be in the GF again in 2009 or very close anyway.

I am feeling a little scared for the other 15 teams next year. A Geelong team that is fit and firing is going to destroy anything in their way after what happened yesterday.

The psychological damage after a GF is paramount and shouldn't be underestimated.

Of course, Geelong will be up there, but I don't predict them to dominate as they have dominated this year.

Hawthorn has taken a massive leap from 2007 to 2008, and good on them for that.

What the Hawks have done is open the competition up.

Many sides will be saying to themselves now "we have a chance in 2009".

Commiserations to the Cats. I really felt for your boys yesterday. Trust me, as a Collingwood supporter, I share your pain.

I am feeling a little scared for the other 15 teams next year. A Geelong team that is fit and firing is going to destroy anything in their way after what happened yesterday.

If they couldn't produce what matters on the one biggest days that REALLY counts, how are they going to be scary to anyone that NOW gives themselves a chance.

No....................my theory is that they will eventually question each other as to who should have played & who shouldn't have played. Did you see Bomber pull a couple players aside for a decent chat. The blaming has already started on the ground during the match......................for all to see.
It's natural! It happens. The key is that the "best" teams keep it from happening until a later date.

As did Brisbane. But eventually it gets to the heads of a few & the big demolishon ball starts it's momentum. Akermanis at Brisbane was a classic case. It might be happening at the Swans now with some of the leadership group being questioned. It's funny but it all stems from within. The very success that a team has is the catalist for the downfall!

EGOs! We all have one! Footballers perhaps have it tenfold. But that is what makes them so good. But eventually it brings them undone.
A team starts to think it is invincible. They are too..........for a while. Until one person doesn't want to cop the blame or another can't accept the loss.

Meh.........................At least the Swans, Cats, West Coast, & Port can all say we've won one each from 2 tries in the last 6 or so years. Now it's up to the Hawks to prove the theory wrong.
I think they can. But it won't just be because of their age. It will have to be about more then that.
Just my thoughts.
Cheers!

Remove this Banner Ad

Is the end of geelong run!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back