Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Feb 16, 2003
themagpiesnest.tk
Other Teams
Collingwood. Forever.
156274au.%20Mo

Angus Monfries:

Angus captained the Australian team in the first test against Ireland in the International Rules Youth series recently. While he is only a small player he certainly leads from the front in terms of working in close where the game is physical. He is a high possession winner who uses the ball effectively by either foot and by quick hands in traffic. A real bonus is his ability to kick goals.

He has played senior football with his SANFL club Sturt.

PERSONAL DETAILS
DOB 19/01/87
State South Australia
Club Sturt
School Pembroke High School (Year 12)
Height 178.5 cm
Weight 69.5 kg
20m Sprint 3.14 seconds
Shuttle Run Stage 14 level 8

Over on the Draft and Trading board, they believe he should be around at No.9 (or thereabouts).

Is this the one we need to get?

He sounds good, but is small as you mentioned.

As you prob already know, is that I would like to look for a key defender, but with O'Bree struggling, and Buckley and Burns nearing end to a career, or in the midfield for that matter, sounds alright.

But it all depends on who we get rid of at season's end, If Mullins, Shackleton and Nixon go, then we should pick him up, If they all stay, then it is a crowded midfield senior list.

Do you take the best footballer in the draft or the best footballer in the postion you are lacking in? If he is the best there then I say take him no matter his position. Look at Presti as an example recruited as a forward made his name as a back, Did's was/is a forward but might end up in the middle.

We've got enough young kids as it is.

Having said that a Top 10 pick that is absolutely ready for AFL football for round 1 is what I am after there.

Then Travis Cloke.

Then maybe one more youngster and get some recycled players and I reckon we should be sweet.

im with hoggy

a top 10 pick who is ready to go by early next year would be good, i saw monfries in the u/18 champs, he looked real good, small but quick and plenty of heart

players like king, shackleton, nixon, richards, davidson. cam cloke, rowe, maxwell etc etc are in the squad already so no great need to pick up more youngsters

theres a few guys who could come to the pies who are middle of the road type players and add something to the line up
wirrpunda, luke ablett, shane birss, gilbee, callum chambers, spriggs are just a couple who i think could add something to the line up

Rodan, Luke Ablett and Gilbee would do me just fine - all pacey midfielders.

Have heard a few Dog's supporters liken Gilbee to a young Scott Burns...now that I like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by leonmagic

Have heard a few Dog's supporters liken Gilbee to a young Scott Burns...now that I like.

i like the sound of that too, shame we didnt get him last year, hopefully get another crack at him this trading period, i rate him

also i think i did go a bit far by mentioning spriggs as a possible pick up, i think he isnt much chop also

Originally posted by leonmagic
Well, 3.14 second for a 20m sprint is no mean effort, but I'm not sure how he's gone in the SANFL.

Billy Morrison did a 20m time of 3.09 at the draft camp last year so that time of 3.14 isn't that fast unfourtunatley.

We just have to hope that Richard Tambling is still available when our pick comes around which is doubtful from what I saw of him in the U18 Carnival.

Originally posted by Rival_V
We just have to hope that Richard Tambling is still available when our pick comes around which is doubtful from what I saw of him in the U18 Carnival.
Tambling should be our number one target over summer...and I haven't even seen him play!

I get a bit excited when I hear "pace"!!

Pace? I don;t really know how quick 3.14 is for 20m and who that compares to but Bill Morrison is quicker over 20m than this kid then forget it.

Surely he'd be quicker than 15.7 seconds over 100 meters. Runners are only at full speed after about 10-15 meters. So multiplying the result by 5 doesnt work. TAMBLING

Originally posted by grayza
i like the sound of that too, shame we didnt get him last year, hopefully get another crack at him this trading period, i rate him

I'm an outsider of both Collingwood and the Dogs, but I rate Gilbee highly as well. Certainly the best of the midfield batch the Doggies drafted that haven't improved much - McMahon, Birss etc.

Would be a very good player under a decent coach, IMO.

I don't think Tambling will be available when your pick comes around, although he is very light so he may drop.

As for Monfries, he's ours. ;)

We already have 10 new rookies in the squad this year. So next year we will have Travis Cloke and Tom Davidson coming and coming back. So we dont need many more youngsters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this kid our answer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back