Analysis 2024 Brownlow medal - Our boy Nick

Remove this Banner Ad

In the end i was just laughing because you knew he was going to poll every game they read out regardless of whether it was an ineffective, 19 possession game or not. The umps late in the year obviously just thought "Crippa having a solid year, just give him the 3 again **** it"
Oh well. At least the coaches got it right with the AFLCA.

Of course it isn't concrete evidence of anything

They're both ultimately assumptions/opinions

Mine is based on 2 years of seeing how the umpires vote him and his peers

The other is based on..."oh he's a really good player who gets votes so should win on one day"

Which one is more "concrete". I'd personally argue the one that has provided us with some actual info/data?
You're info/data is flawed though.

You said this - "The fact that he didn't manage to win it in two season where he clearly should have?"

You may think that he clearly should have one in both seasons but that is your subjective opinion. That's all it is. It's an opinion I'd suggest that very few people other than yourself hold.

You're info/data is flawed though.

You said this - "The fact that he didn't manage to win it in two season where he clearly should have?"

You may think that he clearly should have one in both seasons but that is your subjective opinion. That's all it is. It's an opinion I'd suggest that very few people other than yourself hold.

On this board?

You reckon very few on this board think he should have won at least one?

K

Woke up this morning - checked my phone for news, and no, it was not a bad dream. Cripps actually won with 45 votes!

In all seriousness, Nick getting 38 is too high too. Clearly umpires are only watching a select few now. Nick is one of them, but no one outdoes Cripps who they are absolutely infatuated with clearly.

Umpires have absolutely lost the plot. It shows with their on field performance and it's now showing with the brownlow voting too. They really do not understand the game. That's obvious.

On this board?

K
Clearly should have won you said.

This board is hardly a measure anyway. I can't recall too many saying that he clearly should win.

Look out in the actual world. Have a look at all the bookmakers and media selections before the count. Nick did not have a Dusty 2017 season where he was just expected to win.

Clearly should have won you said.

This board is hardly a measure anyway. I can't recall too many saying that he clearly should win.

Look out in the actual world. Have a look at all the bookmakers and media selections before the count. Nick did not have a Dusty 2017 season where he was just expected to win.

I think the issue here is that we're arguing from very different positions.

You seem to be focused on expectations based on what bookies thought?

I'm basing mine on the way the votes actually played out based on what happened in those games.

Nick got votes in a couple of games that he shouldn't have too. But they were more than cancelled out by the games he didn't get votes in that he should have.

Cripps got a tonne of votes in games he shouldn't have.

I actually still think Cripps is a deserved two time Brownlow medallist. Dude has been carrying Carlton pretty much since he was recruited. But that doesn't change the fact that he should have been suspended and ineligible in 2022 and was polling in games he shouldn't have in 2024

So while I'd argue we "got to the correct result" insomuch as Cripps being a dual Brownlow medallist, I disagree with the path taken to get there.

In the end i was just laughing because you knew he was going to poll every game they read out regardless of whether it was an ineffective, 19 possession game or not. The umps late in the year obviously just thought "Crippa having a solid year, just give him the 3 again **** it"

They thought the same about Nick too though.

Not sure if it's a good or bad thing.

I'm hoping it's because they're not paying that much attention to the individuals and walk away not really knowing who played well, so just give the votes to the big name star.

But could be because they've bought into the commentators constantly carrying on about the game's best players, which is likely to impact their decisions on frees too.

The fact that he didn't manage to win it in two season where he clearly should have?

Including one where he managed to beat the previous record by 2 votes?

Which, while doesn't guarantee anything, is at least based on more than just a completely baseless assumption that because he's an incredible player "oh, he'll win one eventually"

Plenty don't.

That's now two seasons in a row where he got either no votes or maybe 1 vote in games he was clearly BOG or close to it. So if that's how they see him, it seems unlikely he'd win one.
So yesterday it was neither Bobby or Jamie will win MOTY because the world is against the Pies? And today it's "two season(sic) where he should have" won the Brownlow for Nick?

You might need to examine your thinking. You seem to have some sort of weird egocentric persecution complex when it comes to thinking how the rest of the world views Collingwood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So yesterday it was neither Bobby or Jamie will win MOTY because the world is against the Pies? And today it's "two season(sic) where he should have" won the Brownlow for Nick?

You might need to examine your thinking. You seem to have some sort of weird egocentric persecution complex when it comes to thinking how the rest of the world views Collingwood.

The world is against the Pies?

I said the votes would be split when I thought the public was still voting on the winner

It’s hardly a conspiracy theory to suggest Collingwood supporters would be split on their MOTY choice between two of their players while supporters of other clubs would vote the non-Collingwood option

Great effort from Naicous, most votes ever before last night and still only 21. How much more improvement is there, looking forward to the perfect 66 vote season or is that 69. Ten years of this to look forward - what we really need are players to take some votes away from him LOL.

The world is against the Pies?

I said the votes would be split when I thought the public was still voting on the winner

It’s hardly a conspiracy theory to suggest Collingwood supporters would be split on their MOTY choice between two of their players while supporters of other clubs would vote the non-Collingwood option
I didn't say conspiracy theory - but if the shoe fits - what I am suggesting is an egocentric persecution complex.

"Nick doesn't get all the votes he deserves". It's pathetic.

The Brownlow medal is voted on by umpires .. enough said
They can’t even referee games correctly let alone adjudicate on who the best players are
Exactly- it’s the award night from the individuals who paid a free kick for Freo due to the ball not being passed back correctly to them.

Bont will probably win with 51 votes next year as a correction to under-polling this year.

On this board?

K
Are we talking about Nick or Cripps. If it's Cripps he's probably the most deserved winner of the Brownlow in history. We all knew he was going to win or at least tie with Nick. As for Nick, he'll win more than his fair share. 3 votes more than Dusty when he won the middle

The fact that he didn't manage to win it in two season where he clearly should have?

Including one where he managed to beat the previous record by 2 votes?

Which, while doesn't guarantee anything, is at least based on more than just a completely baseless assumption that because he's an incredible player "oh, he'll win one eventually"

Plenty don't.

That's now two seasons in a row where he got either no votes or maybe 1 vote in games he was clearly BOG or close to it. So if that's how they see him, it seems unlikely he'd win one.
You’re entitled to your opinion Cuz but we’re entitled to disagree and think that’s a terribly negative attitude you have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 Brownlow medal - Our boy Nick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back