Is this person still on an AFL list? Really? You sure?

Remove this Banner Ad

KEEFFE%20Lachlan.png

29 years old

There is a distinct correlation between being tall or KPP and staying on lists too long

- Lachie Keefe
- Dawson Simpson
- Shane Kersten
- Tom Nicholls Etc etc etc

Some real journeymen there.....

There's so many tall shit truck journeymen examples.

Jon Giles
Mark Seaby
Peter Street
Shaun Hampson
Robbie Warnock
John Butcher
Cameron Pedersen

Reading through Mof's bottom 50 thread got me thinking
It is like when I turn the radio on and hear John Laws. I am pretty sure I remember him dying a few years ago. Or was that Bert Newton? I don't know. Memory is a funny thing.

It is the same with AFL players. Every now and again I hear a name and I think surely not? Really. Nah. It cant be. That bloke [retired/died/got delisted/went to jail] year ago. Surely he isnt still on an AFL list?

I'll get things started with some obvious ones:

Crows - Andy Otten. Who even is this guy? Is he related to Brad Ottens? Is he a typo? I don't get it. Where did he come from?

Carlton - Andrew Phillips. I know 'the big guys take longer to develop' but seriously? This is his 9th year on an AFL list. 9! Surely not.
Levi Casboult - 9 years! 9 long years.

Collingwood - Tyson Goldsack. 13 years. Jesus Christ. Surely not. Come on Collingwood. Lynden Dunn AND Tyson Goldsack? You can do better.

Freo - Hayden Ballantyne and Aaron Sandilands. Seriously? Granted, Sandilands isnt getting any shorter but is now a mere large stationary object. The pyramids in Egypt are more likely to move than big Aaron.
Ballantyne is short, slow, can no longer stay on his feet at all, and generally slips around like a toddler on ice skates. Not to mention his personality, which is, for want of a better word, shit.

You get the picture.

Over to you Bay....
OK? But didn't the Syds re-draft Tippett on your rookie list?

OK? But didn't the Syds re-draft Tippett on your rookie list?
Yep.
I was going on alphabetical order and only got up to 'F'reo and didnt go on due to laziness.
Tippett is the ultimate. Tall dud who was grossly overpaid for a full decade and kept getting new contracts based on his height and some imagined 'potential'.

James Stewart
Mitch Brown
Michael Hartley
Shaun McKernan

Brown and Hartley havent really been on lists that long but they fit the bill age/talent wise.

McKernan amuses me. Every time you think his career is done he bangs out some amazing footy and saves his ass. I actually think we are a better side when he is in and playing well, he was a big part of our return to form last year. Still a massive journeyman and fits this thread tho.

I remember the mysterious name of Paul Whitelaw would appear in the Eagles squad list, each week in the newspaper. I always wondered who the hell he was, because I never saw him play a game and didnt even know what he looked like. I just looked him up, having been inspired by this thread. He spent 2 full seasons West Coasts list and didnt get close to a game. He apparently played 15 games for West Perth and was then delisted by them. This was back in 95/96, so not exactly relevant to the thread, but thanks for making me find out something new and utterly pointless!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players on Geelong's Entire List who've kicked more goals than Ryan Schoenmakers (51) in their career:

1. Tom Hawkins (498)
2. Gary Ablett (278)
3. Joel Selwood (152)
4. Mitch Duncan (126)
5. Patrick Dangerfield (93)

That's it. Literally only 5 guys on your entire list who've kicked more goals than Ryan ******* Schoenmakers. :$:$:$
Quality research

What about this bloke.
Delisted by the Suns and the Saints which means there is nowhere left to go (except Carlton maybe).
Somehow gets another gig at the Tigers.
Beggars belief!
I am fairly sure he only gets a go because he has a good name. 'Maverick'.

Mav was on Suns inaugural list, then gets shunted to ......... St Kilda. OMG that's like growing up in Broadmeadows, then moving up in the world to ..... Adelaide. At least at the Tiggers, he will be able to enjoy his weekends, wake up Monday and actually look forward to training with some real footballers.

Matt Shaw
Trent McKenzie
Tom Nicholls.

That is staggering!
Never heard of any of them but if they started at the GC that means this is their 9th year on an AFL list.
Talk about longevity. The media are always telling us how tough a game it is and how the average career is only 5 years.
Then you have these blokes that coast under the radar.
I spose if you only come of the bench in Junktime you could keep playing till you're 43 🤷‍♂️

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this person still on an AFL list? Really? You sure?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back