Is this Racism or PC gone mad?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Demonstrators call for Rupert Murdoch to be jailed over New York Post cartoon of chimp
By Edith Honan in New York
Reuters
February 20, 2009 10:00am

Image 1 of 2Cartoon controversy ... a man holds a copy of the cartoon from the New York Post / AP

Leading the fight ... civil rights campaigner Al Sharpton (centre) at News Corp in New York / Reuters
Cartoon published of chimp being shot
Protesters say it was aimed at Obama
Claim it was a racist attack
HUNDREDS of demonstrators have rallied to boycott the New York Post, branding the newspaper as racist for publishing a cartoon that appeared to compare Barack Obama to a chimpanzee.

Demonstrators led by civil rights activist Al Sharpton chanted "End racism now!" outside the parent company's skyscraper in midtown Manhattan and called for the jailing of Rupert Murdoch, whose international media conglomerate News Corp (the owner of news.com.au) owns the Post.

The newspaper has defended the cartoon as a parody of Washington politics, but Mr Sharpton said it exploited a potent image in the history of racism toward blacks.

Published on Wednesday, it shows police shooting an ape and plays on the real shooting of a pet chimpanzee that went on a rampage in Connecticut this week.

One of the police officers says, "They'll have to find someone else to write the next stimulus Bill."

Because Obama promoted the $US787 billion ($1.22 trillion) economic stimulus that he signed into law on Tuesday, critics of the cartoon interpreted the dead chimp as a reference to Mr Obama, who became the first black US president on January 20.

"I guess they thought we were chimpanzees," Mr Sharpton said. "They will find out we are lions."

Mr Sharpton said he would meet with advertisers to encourage them to pull their ads and said New Yorkers would boycott the newspaper.

"You would have to be in a time warp or in a whole other world not to know what that means," said demonstrator Charles Ashley, 25, a model who did not believe the cartoon was an innocent political joke.

Others said it made light of assassinating Mr Obama, a possibility they said that worries many African-Americans.

"Just the fact that they put a monkey with gunshot wounds in his chest, it gives the idea of an assassination," said Peter Aviles, 48, a building superintendent.

Police in Stamford, Connecticut, shot and killed a 90kg chimpanzee on Monday after the pet nearly killed its owner's friend and attacked a police car. The chimp, named Travis, had once starred in television commercials and was taking medication for Lyme disease.

New York Post Editor-in-Chief Col Allan said in a statement the cartoon "broadly mocks Washington's efforts to revive the economy."

- News Corp is the parent company of the publishers of news.com.

So now that the American President is Black they are no longer allowed to parody him with Monkeys?

There were no claims of racism when George W was compared to a chimp? Or even Howard to a rodent. Is this the beginning of another Racism witch hunt?

Meh - they'll get away with it under the first amendment, plus it gives the editors of the Times, Oz and every other News Corp rag under the sun another example of abuse by the monolithic PC thought police to rally against, so I doubt Darth Rupert will be too worried.

So now that the American President is Black they are no longer allowed to parody him with Monkeys?

Do you honestly not understand why african-americans would be a little bit miffed at the portrayal of a significant figure in their history as a chimp, or are you just an idiot?

Meh - they'll get away with it under the first amendment, plus it gives the editors of the Times, Oz and every other News Corp rag under the sun another example of abuse by the monolithic PC thought police to rally against, so I doubt Darth Rupert will be too worried.

Do you honestly not understand why african-americans would be a little bit miffed at the portrayal of a significant figure in their history as a chimp, or are you just an idiot?

No I am not an idiot but that you for enquiring :rolleyes:, I understand what was in the past, but if we are to be moving forward in the world surely what is good for the goose is good for the gander. By doing it to white presidents and not black presidents is just as racist surely.

No I am not an idiot but that you for enquiring :rolleyes:, I understand what was in the past, but if we are to be moving forward in the world surely what is good for the goose is good for the gander. By doing it to white presidents and not black presidents is just as racist surely.

confirmation your an idiot then:rolleyes:

080207163811-large.jpg

I did wince when I saw it and thought it was in bad taste. You can't decontextualise everything and say but people compared W to a monkey because 50 years ago people where not saying that caucasians were closer to monkeys.

Sharpton has gone over the top but it is in pretty bad taste to compare a black man to a monkey

I did wince when I saw it and thought it was in bad taste. You can't decontextualise everything and say but people compared W to a monkey because 50 years ago people where not saying that caucasians were closer to monkeys.

[/QUOTE]Well given that we've moved forward from those times you speak of--- so much so that a black man is now president of the most powerfulcountry in the world--wouldn't it be a opportune time to stop giving it a racial context thgat was most likely not even intended?

It seems to me the moment one winces and then protests they are prolonging the stereotype rather than fighting it;giving it oxygen.

As has been pointed out,Dubya and Howard were regularly satirised as chimps--the protestors are creating the 'other'

Perhaps the people at the Post just thought that the $787 billion plan was that poor that it could only have been done by a chimpanzee and that the chimpanzee deserved to be shot for thinking up something so diabolical.

To a few of you wringing your hands in this thread, here's a little bit of info for you too, free of charge. A chimp is a primate not a monkey.

Demonstrators led by civil rights activist Al Sharpton chanted "End racism now!"

LOL. Make no mistake that Sharpton is in the business of making sure that racism stays alive and well in the USA. If not for racism this man would be completely and utterly worthless, not that he isn't anyway.

As far as the cartoon is concerned, I'm not a PC person in any way, shape or form but I think it is in poor taste and they probably should have realised there was going to be a very adverse reaction before publishing it. Maybe they did and that was the whole point of it, who knows?

For those of you who haven't seen the cartoon.

image4809295.jpg

Anybody who immediately screams 'racist' is, at best, a fool.

The cartoon is a reference to an event well-publicised in the area, relating to a monkey who escaped from a zoo (or something).

Clearly this cartoon is trying to suggest that those who wrote the stimulus bill are monkeys. As in 'Pay peanuts, get monkeys'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Either way its a shit cartoon.

How can you draw relevance between a shot chimp and Obama?

Its not funny, or witty.

The only logical explanation for the reference is either massive insensitivity and complete ignorance of African Americans being compared to chimps

OR

Blatant racism

There is non aspect of this that can make the New York Post look reasonable imo.

For those of you who haven't seen the cartoon.

image4809295.jpg

Anybody who immediately screams 'racist' is, at best, a fool.

The cartoon is a reference to an event well-publicised in the area, relating to a monkey who escaped from a zoo (or something).

Clearly this cartoon is trying to suggest that those who wrote the stimulus bill are monkeys. As in 'Pay peanuts, get monkeys'.

Bah - just Sharpton rallying his winged monkeys. Gets his name in the paper, gets him more donations and more nice suits.

Obama has avoided the race issue wherever possible throughout the election campaign. Now people are getting stirred up about it? For God's sake we have had this sort of thing for years:

pic38.jpg

Storm in a tea cup. Americans need to HTFU.

Bah - just Sharpton rallying his winged monkeys. Gets his name in the paper, gets him more donations and more nice suits.

Storm in a tea cup.

What relevance does Obama have to a chimp though?

Apart from the fact ape/monkey was often used a racial insult, and even scientifically backed, against black people, of course.

Apart from the fact ape/monkey was often used a racial insult, and even scientifically backed, against black people, of course.

You think Obama wrote the entire stimulus package by himself?

You think Obama wrote the entire stimulus package by himself?

Of course not, but who else would the cartoon be referring to? Its Obama's baby and the first real action he's taken as President.

The association between black people and apes/monkeys in America still has a lot of venom attached to it (would be the equivalent of calling someone a coon here).

Like I said, if it wasn't deliberate, its just massively insensitive and ignorant.

Chimp escapes from zoo, is shot. Cartoonist thinks stimulus package was so bad it must have been written by a chimp. Mix event and opinion together and you have a cartoon.

(The cartoon actually rises above racism in assuming its readers will view it through colour-blind eyes. Or something equally pithy.)

Mix cartoon and activist on the make and you have a protest. :rolleyes:

Chimp escapes from zoo, is shot. Cartoonist thinks stimulus package was so bad it must have been written by a chimp. Mix event and opinion together and you have a cartoon.

No chimp escaped from the zoo buddy. It was a pet chimp, jeez, try and stay abreast of the big current events ffs. :)

(The cartoon actually rises above racism in assuming its readers will view it through colour-blind eyes. Or something equally pithy.)

Mix cartoon and activist on the make and you have a protest. :rolleyes:

Like I said, if there was no malice or racism intended (and I imagine their wasn't, its a New York newspaper, hardly a hotbed for blatant racism) then it is simply really, really, insensitive and shows a lack of foresight.

Obama has avoided the race issue wherever possible throughout the election campaign. Now people are getting stirred up about it? For God's sake we have had this sort of thing for years:

pic38.jpg

Storm in a tea cup. Americans need to HTFU.

Yep.

Al Sharpton is "sheeeeet..."
ep55_claydavis_506_01.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this Racism or PC gone mad?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back