Opinion Is this rock bottom?

Remove this Banner Ad

Similarly with Jon Hay

Every week I’d here from the same bloke, there’s big issues there about blah blah

I said narrrrrrr

He was close to the mark as it turned out
We knew Hay had issues. One person convinced the club he was very manageable. Disgraceful recruiting.

We did have a choice, could have elected to not match West Coast's bid.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Think we sort of overplayed our hand by having LMac be on an official club trip overseas during the draft to be fair

This year will be rock bottom. I was hoping for last year, but the kids need
mature bigger bodies and will be better next year. Hopefully we will get a few more mature bodies like Scrimshaw to help us out until all our young guns can handle the rigours of AFL. IMO this will be the last year of senior players who are not up to standard. I’d like the captaincy to go to Sheezel (like we did with a young Carey) with Larkey as VC. The young guns get on board and next year to start to build something special. This year is a write off and will say goodbye to CZ (needed but not essential and hopefully get a compo top 3 pick for him). LDU is a keeper and we need him.

This year will be rock bottom. I was hoping for last year, but the kids need
mature bigger bodies and will be better next year. Hopefully we will get a few more mature bodies like Scrimshaw to help us out until all our young guns can handle the rigours of AFL. IMO this will be the last year of senior players who are not up to standard. I’d like the captaincy to go to Sheezel (like we did with a young Carey) with Larkey as VC. The young guns get on board and next year to start to build something special. This year is a write off and will say goodbye to CZ (needed but not essential and hopefully get a compo top 3 pick for him). LDU is a keeper and we need him.
When you say "the young guns get on board", who are you referring to?

To think we took Luke McDonald 5 picks before Cripps. I know we had no choice but by god could the gap in ability be bigger.

Cripps is 29, and wouldn't have been the difference between us being a contender and being shize in the last ten years and would be nearing retirement age when/if we turn it around. Honestly seems like a nice kid, i'm happy for him to have "success" at another club. The more recent draft blunders are the real kicker.

When you say "the young guns get on board", who are you referring to?
All of them and with another season and
Pre season I can see a big group moving to senior level like:
Will Dawson
Hardeman
Zane
McKercher
George
Wardlaw
Sheezel in the middle and half forward
Scott to the wing and better disposal by foot
Curtis
Ford
Logue
Chom
Powell

Also, a big shout out to Xerri who might be an average to good ruck but geez he puts his body on the line for this club. Respect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All of them and with another season and
Pre season I can see a big group moving to senior level like:
Will Dawson
Hardeman
Zane
McKercher
George
Wardlaw
Sheezel in the middle and half forward
Scott to the wing and better disposal by foot
Curtis
Ford
Logue
Chom
Powell

Also, a big shout out to Xerri who might be an average to good ruck but geez he puts his body on the line for this club. Respect.
Good God!!!

Half that list has 10 games between them!!! Not sure guys like George, Hardeman, Dawson etc. can be referred to as “young guns” when they are yet to debut.

But anyway.

Good God!!!

Half that list has 10 games between them!!! Not sure guys like George, Hardeman, Dawson etc. can be referred to as “young guns” when they are yet to debut.

But anyway.
Young guns as in top end talent, I understand how many games they’ve played. 🙄

Young guns as in top end talent, I understand how many games they’ve played. 🙄
Other than the obvious 4 - Wardlaw, Sheezel, Duursma (who hasn't shown anything yet) & McKercher - none of those other players listed could be categorised as "top end talent". Could they? Really?

I'd be interested if you listed our "young guns/top end talent" from 3 years ago? I'd be guessing W Walker, Perez, Atu, Spicer, Mahony, McGuinness, Hayden, Lazarro, Edwards, Phillips etc. would've got a mention???

Other than the obvious 4 - Wardlaw, Sheezel, Duursma (who hasn't shown anything yet) & McKercher - none of those other players listed could be categorised as "top end talent". Could they? Really?

I'd be interested if you listed our "young guns/top end talent" from 3 years ago? I'd be guessing W Walker, Perez, Atu, Spicer, Mahony, McGuinness, Hayden, Lazarro, Edwards, Phillips etc. would've got a mention???
Top end talent as in where they were picked in the draft. The players you mentioned 3 years ago apart from Phillips are not first round picks. If you don’t have first round picks the odds of picking up top end talent are against you.

Top end talent as in where they were picked in the draft. The players you mentioned 3 years ago apart from Phillips are not first round picks. If you don’t have first round picks the odds of picking up top end talent are against you.

But you can't have a whole team of 'top end' talents otherwise GWS would have won a few flags by now.

You need to have a few blue chip players surrounded by a dozen or so very good support players.

Our current team makeup looks pretty good with larkey sheezal, we need 2 more blue chip players.

The support cast like xerri, curtis, phillips, powell, ford, lazzaro and others are coming along nicely and by the team the majority of the team gets to 100 games is when we are top 4 if not contending.

Defense wise, get 60 games into the current defenders, we should be good.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back