Is this the worst season of AFL in many a long while?

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong vs daylight again for the flag. Despite a close AFL season the finals look to be anti-climactic with Geelong most likely to win the 2024 flag against Sydney in a blowout.

Nobody wants this outcome to occur which the last time it happened saw the lowest rated Grand Final between two unlikable teams.

90% of the finals still haven't been played yet.

Great season because of the evenness of the comp.

Geelong have absolutely set themselves up beautifully here.

Play the perennial chokers in Adelaide and then two interstaters on your home deck to win the flag.

Hawks and Bulldogs even if they beat port next week play in Sydney or Brisbane to make the GF. Won’t happen.

Blues will get monstered by Brisbane as their high risk strategy of picking underdone players backfires.

GWS, Sydney or Brisbane will be Geelongs opposition but ultimately they will come undone on the MCG.

Congrats Cats fans. A flags a flag and your coach has timed your run to perfection. Amazingly well coached to extract the absolute maximum out of this group.

Three more flags up for grabs before Tassie comes in and there could be a dozen sides that could nab one based on the evenness of the last couple of years.

Great season because of the evenness of the comp.

Geelong have absolutely set themselves up beautifully here.

Play the perennial chokers in Adelaide and then two interstaters on your home deck to win the flag.

Hawks and Bulldogs even if they beat port next week play in Sydney or Brisbane to make the GF. Won’t happen.

Blues will get monstered by Brisbane as their high risk strategy of picking underdone players backfires.

GWS, Sydney or Brisbane will be Geelongs opposition but ultimately they will come undone on the MCG.

Congrats Cats fans. A flags a flag and your coach has timed your run to perfection. Amazingly well coached to extract the absolute maximum out of this group.

Three more flags up for grabs before Tassie comes in and there could be a dozen sides that could nab one based on the evenness of the last couple of years.

Will depend which of those interstate sides we get. GWS don’t frighten against us one bit - we are their bitches if we are being honest. Still a long way to go and even now we are already at ‘well it’s been a successful season’ stage: but the door is now open

Not sure if it's just me but this season has been average in my opinion.
Not that many great marks or goals, not many high quality games. No real superstars apart from Bontompelli and Curnow .
Sydney seem to have a superior list to everyone else but they don't play an attractive brand.
Most of the teams in the top 8 are just ok teams.
How bad do you have to be to be the bottom team during the worst season of all time?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The man who has kicked the most goals on the MCG ever you mean?

Who gives a shit. We kicked nearly 140 points in a final last night and you’re the one moaning about set shot kicking. I thought accuracy, not totals, was important to you.

Nah you’ve covered yourself in glory in this thread

It's a weird season in that I feel like the top 8 are not really that far apart from each other, and also sides that just missed the finals probably aren't much worse than sides that made it. Could probably easily sub in Collingwood or Freo in place of Carlton and they'd give it as good if not a better shake.

There's no standouts and everyone looks vulnerable to a degree, with whoever gets on the best run at the right time and stays healthy in September could win it.

What could ruin it is if we see a bunch of shit one sided finals and a blowout grand final (if you're a neutral and you're not the team that wins it).

Yes I watched it, Heeney's mark was fantastic but the game was marked by a GWS collapse and a lucky Sydney win.
I don't think Sydney are deserved premiers on that performance.

9.5 to 5.2 in the second half.

Is that quite right? Looks like both sides were accurate aside from a few long range shots that fell short, and GWS didn’t put the cue in the rack and do a 1-2 goal second half disappearing act. Seems like you’re just trying to talk yourself into thinking you’re correct

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this the worst season of AFL in many a long while?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back