It's a joke that Roughead gets the same suspension as Chapman and Le Cras

Remove this Banner Ad

It wasn't an "in play collision" that's the bit you're not getting. Roughead lined him up. Technically it's "in play" insomuch as they were playing football on the same field at the time.

This is what I don't get.

Why does everyone say Roughead is lucky not to get 2 or 3 when it was an in-play collision between 2 guys contesting the footy?
It wasn't a deliberate bump to the head. The only reason McGlynn went down was because there's a 20cm difference in height between them.

If people reckon that's worth 2-3 weeks, then it's no wonder our game is such a mess with idiotic fans supporting the AFL on this.

All the other instances I mentioned in the OP were clear examples of footballers arriving late, playing the man & not the ball and whacking their opponents directly in the head. Roughead did a side bump, but not even a bump, more of a block. shoulder to shoulder, secondary high contact.

Can't you see that?

You elect to bump and you make contact with the head, you're gone. I don't necessarily agree with all aspects of the rule, but they did give the correct decision this time (according to the rule).

Roughead planted his right foot between the ball and McGlynn and blocked him. He was almost stationary at the moment of impact.

That's not a bump.

He became stationary shortly after his shoulder belted mcglynn in the head, and mcglynn's brain bounced off his skull a time or two.

That's a bump.

The thing is, if the ball bounced left right or straight up and down he still looked at McGlynn and bumped him.
He became stationary shortly after his shoulder belted mcglynn in the head, and mcglynn's brain bounced off his skull a time or two.

That's a bump.
Okay, then.

Nathan Fyfe looked at Rischitelli as he lined him up and bumped him.

There was secondary high contact (like Roughy v McGlynn) which caused Rischitelli's brain to bounce around inside his skull.

You see what I did there?

Thought Jones was stiff to get a higher grading than the rest. Certainly more than Le Cras who leapt into the bloke. Once upon time, leaving the ground in a bump was the sure fire way to get yourself in all sorts. I thought Roughie was stiff as well, in my ideal world those two scenarios are either let go, or 1 week each.

Le Cras and Chappy, dirty hits. Deserved greater punishment.

So Roughy would've better off if he'd lifted his elbow instead of keeping it down?

Assuming impact was the same - a lvl 1 strike is 80pts, not 125pts.

It wouldn't matter with roughead anyway as his carryover from the prelim was pinging him regardless.

Had he not had a record he wouldn't have served a week

I think the tribunal/MRP is feeling a bit scolded from the Viney thing and as such pulled back a bit this week. Which is stupid because none of the hits were even close in nature to the Viney incident.

Assuming impact was the same - a lvl 1 strike is 80pts, not 125pts.
Gee, no wonder people get outraged when a player elbows someone (e.g. Shaun McKernan v Brad Sheppard) and they receive less of a penalty than someone who dishes out a bump in the play (e.g Jack Ziebell)

How can these AFL fools punish in-play collisions more harshly than blatant strikes?

KB is right. They are idiots who know nothing about the game.

It wouldn't matter with roughead anyway as his carryover from the prelim was pinging him regardless.

Had he not had a record he wouldn't have served a week
I fully expected Roughy to get a week or two. I understand this is what the game has devolved into. I just think it's the type of contact which will occur sometimes in a good, fair, hard contested game. I think it's a crock of shit that players are getting rubbed out for these types of incidents. It's a joke the way everyone has now become so hardline about bumps. Fair enough if it's directly into someone's head. Fair enough, suspend players when they jump into someone late and go high like LeCras did.

People say Roughead bumped McGlynn in the head, but he never ran through him. They converged on the ball at a 45' angle and Roughy gave him a side bump. His biggest crime was that he was taller than the other guy.

This business about taking your eye off the ball is also bullshit. Every good player briefly sizes up their opponent when they need to create a physical contest in pursuit of the ball. Players who don't are more likely to receive concussions.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes I see what you did, you showed your age. I bet you cant wait to turn 18.
Accusing me immaturity, but you can't engage in adult discussion about the bump??!?

Why bother posting?

Go to bed, you've got a big day at school tomorrow.

Thought Jones was stiff to get a higher grading than the rest. Certainly more than Le Cras who leapt into the bloke. Once upon time, leaving the ground in a bump was the sure fire way to get yourself in all sorts. I thought Roughie was stiff as well, in my ideal world those two scenarios are either let go, or 1 week each.

Le Cras and Chappy, dirty hits. Deserved greater punishment.
Oh please, Hoskin- Elliot bounced up and took his free kick and played out the rest of the game unhindered (LeCras bumped him in the first five minutes). Hardly a dirty hit. It was high and was graded reckless when everyone else got a negligent grading, but Leccas never been suspended before so got the extra discount.

Okay, then.

Nathan Fyfe looked at Rischitelli as he lined him up and bumped him.

There was secondary high contact (like Roughy v McGlynn) which caused Rischitelli's brain to bounce around inside his skull.

You see what I did there?
Used some of the same words and made up a funny story?

No the joke is that every one of those bumps got less from the MRP than Nat Fyfe. Take it from me, thats a ******* joke.

Didn't get Fyfe actually get one week for the hit and had another added on due to his bad record?

No he got 2 weeks, bad record means it couldn't be any less. Roughys bad record means he couldn't get off with a reprimand.

Ah ok I got that point wrong, thanks for clearing that up. Still, both Le Cras and Fyfe were given two weeks each. One was able to reduce it with an early plea due to a good record, one was not. Saying one got less than the other for the offence isn't correct.

Someone explain the difference between Deledio's elbow on Stokes and the Chapman one/s.

I missed why Deledio was free to play and Chappy got a week.

I think Deledio got a week but down to reprimand because of good record. don;t agree with it - should have been at least 2 weeks but MRP doesn't seem to consider an elbow to be that bad for some reason.

An elbow to the head is much worse than a good hip & shoulder - especially the bumps that barely collect the head anyway. If the AFL is truly concerned about 'the look' of the game you'd think they'd be trying harder to get the cheap elbow out of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a joke that Roughead gets the same suspension as Chapman and Le Cras

Remove this Banner Ad

Back