IT'S OFFICIAL!!!!! Clarkson announced as coach!

Remove this Banner Ad

my first post! ive been waiting for this thing to activate...

Clarkson gr8 appointment!!! fresh face will be good for the club...

Iam really undecided about this whole Don Scott thing can any1 who is for his faction of whoever they are tell me a little about y i should vote 4 them???

His first test will be to test his words about 'discipline and change, wanting to get Hawthorn back to the success we had of the 70's and 80's'. To show that he is the man, he needs to bring in 2 assistant coaches who have good reputations to go along with DMAC (if he stays), to reorganise the medical department, to tell the football directors on the board that he is boss, and to make swift and couragous decisions regarding the careers of at least 10-12 footballers on our list. We should trade the maximum of 5, and there are that many if not more retiring/deserving of delisting.

Saw part of the press cpnference on ten. Clarkson used one word about three times which made me smile - DISCIPLINE.

Mentioned that he was coached by Kennedy and Pagan and both instilled in him that discipline is vital to success.

I got a good feeling he ain't gonna put up with any ********.

IDGAF said:
The players we delisted had absolutely no chance of being traded . I think Miller acted swiftly and professionally in swinging the axe quickly and humanely

How do you think those blokes would have felt sitting there listening to TW`s "vision for the future" knowing ( 95% ) that they were not going to be there ? ...... Right decision
I am not knocking the tiges decision just questioning the logic, you never know what is going to happen during trading week, you could have a lot of players walk out of the club, meaning either draft more kids, or keep a dud with some experience. Like i said before, if a player hasn't being a regular 22 player and/or more importantly recieved a new contract offer, i would think you would know your 'days are just about numbered', and like i also said, no problems in telling the bloke 'well trade you or delist you' no need to make cuts at this stage of the season in my opinion, unless their is an afl law requiring you to cut the list by a certain date, and i can guarrantee you that date won't be for some time yet (after the gf at minimum)

clarkson has said he will draft for young talent to build the club..he has said he will command dicsipline like that of kennedy...he has said its time to "roll up the sleeves"...time will tell but i like his thinking...time to get rid of half hearted players and ones who have had their chances but failed to deliver...
i hope he takes no ********e and shows no soft spots, we can ill afford to be leniant anymore,the aproaches should be " if you dont like it,bye bye" and thats final...

Interesting to hear comments from both Clarkson and Dunstall regarding the current shape of the playing group. Both made the point that major changes to the footy department and playing list were essential and the club"Would be rebuilding from scratch". Clarkson also implied that the club needed a massive redirection in the areas of discipline and hard relentless footy. My question is: Where does this leave Peter Schwab's reputation? Was his five year tenure so ordinary that he has left the club in a condition that will take years of rebuilding, and a whole new fooball department to recover from?

most of us have known for some time that Peter was no AFL coach. The club apparently now fully agrees. Shame it cost the club some $600,000 for Dicker, Brereton and Co to work it out.

Good luck to Clarkson.He sounds good and decisive and apparently has a hard edge that we desperately need. Looking forward to he putting his stamp on the club quickly.

Clarkson seems level headed, hard nosed and very disciplined orientate, EXACTlY what this football club needs. We have never had the problem with talent it is about who is leading the young group of guys we have and who can set them on the right path.

Very happy with Clarkson and rapt that he has ditched the Port job to start with us straight away.

cheers

jezza said:
Hawk fans, I'm keen to hear what you make of the two year deal?

I know a lot of you were critical for Richmond offering Wallace a 5 year deal but the situation is very clear at tigerland, we need to rebuild and that takes time. A 5 year deal takes the pressure off the coach to get results immediately, instead concentrate on building for the future.

Also, how does the Don Scott factor come into it? He's said if he doesn't support the coach appointed, he will get rid of him. Would be very hard for Clarkson to operate with that threat looming.

Jezza,

I am one who is critical of a 5 year deal for a coach. It's one thing to have a 5 year plan, it's another to feel you need the same coach to enact that plan. Over a period of 5 years a club can go through various stages, and it may be fair to assume you may need different coaches for different stages.

For example, the coach Hawthorn needed in 2001 is not the coach we needed in 2004. The playing list had altered, the club's direction had altered, and different leadership was required.

I think the 2 year appointment is excellent. It gives time for the Hawthorn Football Club to assess Clarkson's ability and suitability for the job, and it allows Clarkson time to find out if he has what it takes to coach at elite level.

After two years, the club may look at its list and decide they have progressed to a stage where someone like a Leigh Matthews may be the better option to take them further.

I don't see Clarkson's 2 year contract as any more demanding than Wallace's 5 year one. Both coaches will be expected to have the club at a certain level after 2 years. If Clarkson has not performed to expectations he can be replaced, but what does Richmond do if Wallace is not measuring up?

I also think that when you appoint a coach for 5 years you are telling your members that this is the coach who will win us a premiership. If it doesn't happen, what then? By appointing a coach for 2 years, all Clarkson will be expected to do is show improvement. Therefore I think Wallace is under more pressure than Clarkson.

As for the Don Scott factor, that has nothing to do with it. Clarkson will operate as Coach of the Hawthorn Football Club, and will answer to the incumbent Board. Clarkson has an agreement with the Hawthorn Football Club, not the Board. If Scott's men take over, Clarkson is still the Coach of the club, and if Scott wants to terminate his contract he will not only have to pay out the contract but be liable for wrongful dismissal charges as well.

It's not Clarkson's problem, he just has to get on with the job and address any future development when it presents itself.

chipsticks said:
Iam really undecided about this whole Don Scott thing can any1 who is for his faction of whoever they are tell me a little about y i should vote 4 them???

Hopefully in the next 2 weeks things may become more obvious to club members as to which stance is taken, so you may be able to draw your own conclusions from that.

I have my own thoughts as to my preference. The only acceptable answer for me is compromise. We cannot allow the club to be divided in any way, that will only take us back to 1996 where the club's future was uncertain.

To be a strong and successful club once more we need to pool our resources and have everyone working in the same direction for the benefit and well being of the Hawthorn Football Club. There is no room at Hawthorn for ego trips and power plays.

In the end this is probably the best result we could've hoped for in the coaching appointment ,easily the best credentialed of all the rookie candidates ,looks hungry for success as against just wanting employment which i think would've been the case with Ayresy .Behind resigning Hodge ,this is probably our second biggest highlight of the year ,(not that there has been many ).Don't think Don Scott will be a factor because if the general consensus of opinion is anything to go by Scotty wouldn't dare reneg on this guy's contract if he got into any sort of power & he knew what was good for him .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm very happy with the 2 year deal.

The last thing we need is to have a coach tied down for a half a decade with a ridiculous pay packet.

Welcome Alistair. I think Al is a wonderful choice to coach us into a new era.
Besides, no matter who coaches us for the next 2 years our list will not be good enough to be successful anyway. He may turn out to be a dud, but maybe, just maybe he will turn out a gem. 2 years is the right length of time.
Also glad we showed Wallet the door when he was looking for 5 years. The single most over rated coach in recent history.
What I would like to know is why Eade wasn't even in our reckoning.

I'm glad we went for Clarkson. There was no way I wanted Ayres because there is way too much of an old boys club down there at Glenferrie with so many past players making decisions that are ruled by their heart not their head. McDonald would be my second choice after Clarkson.

Hopefully Clarkson has what it takes to get some respectability back into the team, after 1 season of being the laughing stock of the competition, I have had enough. Fair enough that we wont be winning many games for the next couple of years, that doesn't bother me as much as being mocked all the time. Changing the playing list to being something respectable is what Schwab failed to do, building up our stocks of weak Half back flankers and keeping so much dead wood around the club. It was time for someone without a conflict of interest to come and change the list, which will mean we wont be the most competitive side for a couple of years. Getting respect is what I think Clarkson will do and any Hawks supporter who wants immediate success after he cleans up the playing group is dreaming. First priority is to get some respect back into the way we go about footy, that is the quickest part to work on. Then the playing group will come around.

Good luck to Clarkson, I just hope he doesn't become the object of agression from the board or supporters when the team struggles for the first 2 years of his appointment.

saaam said:
Also glad we showed Wallet the door when he was looking for 5 years. The single most over rated coach in recent history.
What I would like to know is why Eade wasn't even in our reckoning.

It's amazing how many people still don't understand this entire point. Wallace was never a serious contender for the Hawthorn job whilst he was talking telephone number salaries and 5 year deals. The club simply was never going to entertain the idea.

Wallace knew this, Richmond didn't. Had Richmond have known this, they could have negotiated properly instead of offering him whetever he wanted just so the Hawks couldn't get him. Big mistake Tigers.

He expected Hawthorn to genuflect and kiss his ring, and when we didn't he went running to the media criticising us for not showing enough interest. He did the same with the Crows. He criticised them on Adelaide radio saying they didn't show enough interest, then Stephen Trigg came on air very annoyed and said they had made the appropriate expressions of interest but weren't prepared to meet his demands. Wallace is a tool.

As for Wallace being overrated ... absolutely. The way the press, and Wallace himself, were carrying on you would think he was a triple premiership coach or something. There's nothing special about Wallace's coaching ability.

Not sure about Eade. I have a feeling he would have entered Hawthorn's calculations had he not signed with the Bulldogs in whirlwind fashion ... yet another club who signed a coach in haste just so another club couldn't snap him up ... although from what I hear, Eade's terms were very reasonable.

I know Eade was to meet with the Hawks the day after he signed with the Bulldogs, maybe that meeting was to determine whether Eade was a worthwhile candidate.

Adelaide Hawk said:
... yet another club who signed a coach in haste just so another club couldn't snap him up ... QUOTE]

In hindsight I am pleased the powers-that-be at Glenferrie took their time. The vibes coming my way are good .... have a feeling Clarkson will have a lot to do with orchestrating the many changes required in various departments of the club - similar to Leigh's 'I am the boss' style in negotiating his contract at Brisbane.

As for Scott, I don't think the members collectively will vote him in or any of those on his ticket. But I agree that the club should discontinue the divisiveness and should Scottie and his comrades fail to make it, in good grace they'll move on away from interfering with the administration and barrack from the outer.

ViperV10 said:
I'm glad we went for Clarkson. There was no way I wanted Ayres because there is way too much of an old boys club down there at Glenferrie with so many past players making decisions that are ruled by their heart not their head. McDonald would be my second choice after Clarkson.

Hopefully Clarkson has what it takes to get some respectability back into the team, after 1 season of being the laughing stock of the competition, I have had enough. Fair enough that we wont be winning many games for the next couple of years, that doesn't bother me as much as being mocked all the time. Changing the playing list to being something respectable is what Schwab failed to do, building up our stocks of weak Half back flankers and keeping so much dead wood around the club. It was time for someone without a conflict of interest to come and change the list, which will mean we wont be the most competitive side for a couple of years. Getting respect is what I think Clarkson will do and any Hawks supporter who wants immediate success after he cleans up the playing group is dreaming. First priority is to get some respect back into the way we go about footy, that is the quickest part to work on. Then the playing group will come around.

Good luck to Clarkson, I just hope he doesn't become the object of agression from the board or supporters when the team struggles for the first 2 years of his appointment.

very well said ViperV10...couldn't agree more

I can't say I'm not surprised about this appointment. I thought I would get the job, but I got an e-mail saying today that all vacancies had been filled. I'm disappointed. :D

chipsticks said:
my first post! ive been waiting for this thing to activate...

Clarkson gr8 appointment!!! fresh face will be good for the club...

I just don''t know who I would vote for, Scott or Dicker! Will Scott be able to do anything? Or do anything better?

P.S ..... all the best with Clarkson . Interesting appointment .

One little niggle though . Can`t help thinking ....... Is he , or can he , be a better coach than Schwabby ? History will tell us

Well IDGAF, has your question been answered?

Remove this Banner Ad

IT'S OFFICIAL!!!!! Clarkson announced as coach!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back