It's time to take the Grand Final away from the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Contracts are in place to hold the grand final at the MCG for the forseeable future. This would be a factor in a range of other commercial agreements with the understanding that the grand final will be at the MCG for many years to come.

2. No stadium in Australia comes close to matching the MCG in terms of capacity and atmosphere. "But I said, when they build a suitable stadium" I hear you say. Yeah, well if/when that happens, then it may arguably be 'time to take the Grand Final away from the MCG' (your words). Not when it's a blueprint, or not even conceived yet.

3. Curious as to why now is time for it to be moved? A Victorian team has headed the ladder for four consecutive years and the grand final has been an all Victorian affair for the past three years. The top four teams in 08-10 have all come from Victoria. The top two teams this year are Victorian and the consensus favourite to win the grand final is Victorian. Maybe the mid 00s would have been more rational time to bring this up, rather than a time where Victorian clubs have a stranglehold over the competition?

4. I think there is merit in a suggestion that a grand final replay should be played at the home ground of the interstate club. But, if you're looking for fair, compared to the number on the bottom line, you've come to the wrong place.

Okay, from a Swans supporter living in Sydney, I would be thrilled to have a GF in Sydney and I think it would be great for the national competition. I know that it will never happen and I love the G but it is a nice pipe dream.

For it to work properly, it would need to have one of the Sydney teams in it, and I think the interest and buzz around the city would be similar to that of the 2000 Olympics.

When Sydney won the grand final in 2005, there was a great feeling, people who didn't watch Aussie Rules were talking about the win and it no longer became about GAYFL, Aerial Ping-Pong etc etc. People i knew who had never been to a game were messaging me interested and heaps of them went to the parade after the Swans won. It would probably be the same for the other states.

It would be hard logistically but certainly would be a way of getting people interested in the sport.

Manchester to Wembley = 3 hour 30 minute drive.

Perth to MCG = 1 day 13 hours drive.

Is that all we're talking about? How long it takes to drive?

Mate, you should know better than anyone else that English fans would travel to the moon to watch their team play.

Also, it's a 12 hour drive from Brisbane to Sydney, and more people are within striking range of Sydney than Melbourne.

we should build a stadium that's an equal distance from all the major cities, melbourne, perth, adelaide, brisbane, gold coast.

somewhere in the timor sea.

or even just a 100,000 person floating stadium that we can tow from city to city each year on a rotational basis.

:thumbsu:

we should build a stadium that's an equal distance from all the major cities, melbourne, perth, adelaide, brisbane, gold coast.

somewhere in the timor sea.

or even just a 100,000 person floating stadium that we can tow from city to city each year on a rotational basis.

:thumbsu:

Wouldn't that spot be somewhere near Alice Springs rather than out at sea?

LOL NO NO NO.

for the forseeable future there are only 3 possible venues, 1 of which doesn't yet exist and may not be big enough when done.

MCG, Olympic, and maybe, possibly, if it happens, in about 2590 Perth.

Never in Adelaide - AAMI is too small, a dump, near nothing and the redeveloped AO is too small.

Never in Brisbane - too small
Never CG - too small

Not in Perth atm, - too small, a dump.

As for events around the game - absolutely necessary - add to the atmosphere gives visitors something to do

Corps - unfortunately they pour in hundreds of millions of dollars to the AFL and it's clubs every year and they need their cut of the tickets.

and you need at least 1 yr to organise the GF. in the NFL you get at least 2 yrs to organise it, and they still can **** it up.

So what have we got - 2 viable venues, and Martin dreaming.

There's no such thing as a "home" Grand Final. You can not earn a "home" Grand Final.

All clubs knew what they were signing up for when they signed on the bottom line. There is nothing fairer than that.

That all teams agreed is in no way a measure of fairness. At the moment the whole comp is very unfair on lots of levels, but everybody agrees to compete on a non-level playing field becasue sufficient benefits are there in some means or form.

Outside of the time it was held in Cardiff due to the works to improve Wembley, the FA Cup final in England has always been held at Wembley stadium.

America can do it as they have a number of stadiums of similar size. We don't and the MCG is the home of football, so it must stay there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL at the argument the Wembley and MCG situations aren't comparable because of the travel time. You do realise that London and Manchester are at the opposite ends of England, much like Perth and Melbourne?

From a fan's point of view, I've been to ANZ Stadium twice for Pies/Swans games. That place is a hole, a logistical nightmare, and has the atmosphere of my study. I've been to the MCG hundreds of times to see a variety of different teams and it never gets dull, especially when you're there of GF Replay day.

From a business point of view, despite what people are saying about the MCG's ability to generate revenue, it is still the AFL's best financial option. Why? Because they've got a f*ckload of money coming in off these contracts. And even if they AFL want to move it I'm sure the Victorian government will tempt them not to. Why? Because there's 100,000 fans travelling from interstate for a non-Victorian GF as it was in 2004-05-06.

That, and it's the home of Australian football. It has a historical legacy there.

the biggest problem with this premise is that even with the two new teams in over 50% of the AFL teams are in one state..and at most only 2 are in each of the others..its not an ideal business model for professional sport to have such an inbalance on the location of teams in one area for a national game.

Someone made a good point, the grand final needs to be pre determined at the start of the season, so sponsors, businesses and operations of the AFl can plan for it for th 3-4 months in advance..

You cant just wait until after the prelims are decided to choose where to play, the AFL as a business would not be able to spend months organising grand finals set up with knowing which state will host.

What if you allocate a new stadium in Adelaide pre determine it at the start of the year in south australia..it seats 75k but Essendon play the Bulldogs in the grand final?? deosnt really make sense.

Hence having to watch bloody Collingwood every Friday night.

We only play a handful of Friday games. 5 to be exact. How exactly is that seeing Collingwood every Friday.

We've rarely played more than 5 Friday games in a season for a very long time.

St.Kilda plays 6.

Personally, as a nutural supporter, I'd be more concerned about the number of Friday games the Saints have. Combine 1 hour delay with St.Kilda's unwatchable game style and you have massive drop off in Friday ratings. Hopefully after they drop off a bit this year, the AFL will stop giving them Friday nights.

The tradition of the g has made the grand final special. Would the English fa move the upcoming Manchester derby in the fa cup semi to Manchester? No because the magic of wembley makes the fa cup special for fans. Also went to the 05 grand final which was s great event with so many interstaters coming to Melbourne for the week.

The FA Cup semis used to be played at Villa Park and Hillsborough....remember the 96 who died?

The NFL should play the Superbowl every year at Cowboys stadium. Biggest stadium, they think they're the centre of the earth when it comes to American football etc etc.
That's pretty much the Victorian logic in NFL terms to try and help some Victorians understand an outsiders perspective.

quit your crying.

all interstate teams have joined a competition in which the nucleus was the VFL.

The NFL was a national comp when they started the superbowl and even then Miami and New Orleans have hosted it 19 times between them and some cities are not allowed to host because of weather so its not all fair as square.

Only read the first three pages, so apologies if this has been said. But I don't think it is possible to host the Grand Final anywhere else but the MCG and get a good commercial/financial result.

a) You can't organise a Grand Final in one week. Waiting until the preliminary final to see which teams make it, and then deciding on the location of the Grand Final 7 days later is impossible.

b) You can't have a rotationg system either. What happens in Perth is awarded the 2018 Grand Final and the two participants are Brisbane and Sydney. Would be a logistical and financial nightmare for all involved.

Remove this Banner Ad

It's time to take the Grand Final away from the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back