It's time to take the Grand Final away from the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

We support the best football code in this country and arguably the world. We claim to be the national code and, while we by far have the majority of support across the country, the Victorian bias still holds the AFL back from being truly "national". Like it or not, soccer is on the rise. While I don't think it has the capacity to ever surpass Australian football, whether or not we implement my plan, it is still at least a minor threat on our supporter and player base. That, however, need not be the main reason for the implementation of this plan. We want a fair competition across all of Australia.

To achieve this, the Grand Final must be taken away from the MCG in the case of an interstate team finishing higher. This cannot be done without careful consideration though. But think of the rewards though in certain situations. It is not umpossible that we could have a GWS vs Sydney Grand Final within the next 10 years. Yet, it will be played at the MCG while the 80 thousand seat ANZ Stadium goes unused. We have been lucky that there have not been any interstate derby/showdown Grand Finals yet, but we can't ride that luck forever.

I don't want this to turn into a massive essay, so I will simply list the main points and advantages.

1) A massive carrot to dangle in front of state governments, requiring the upgrades of stadiums. Subiaco and Football Park are both, by most accounts, dumps. Subiaco is overflowing for West Coast games and there is a waiting list for membership. Surely this would turn many people away. By requiring perhaps a 60 thousand seat minimum stadium for the state to get Grand Final hosting rights, we could see a lot of improvement in these stadiums. Sydney is already okay with the previously mentioned ANZ stadium. The GABBA would need upgrading and I'm not very up-to-date with the Football Park/Adelaide Oval dealings. Yes, you would make less money at the gate than with 100k at the MCG but, we must realise, most countries don't have 100k arenas. 60k is plenty for major sporting events and we should just consider the MCG to be a very lucky anomaly in world sport.

2) More reward for finishing higher on the ladder. While a double chance in the finals is good, there needs to be more reward for finishing high up. The Grand Final should be hosted by the team who finishes highest in the regular season, even if that team loses the qualifying final.

3) Drive a knife through traditional rugby territory and keep soccer at an arm's length. We now will have two teams in every non-Victorian state except for Tasmania. This decision makes sense more now than ever.

4) It darn-right, dead-set, unconditionally makes ****ing sense. The AUSTRALIAN Football League is our beautiful, native game and it needs to be thoroughly and evenly represented across all of AUSTRALIA. There will always be more Victorian teams, and I don't seek to change that, but it is unfair for an interstate team to have to play a "home" Grand Final at the MCG.

No. I am sure nobody would have supported us playing at home in 07 or 08.

If by home you mean Skilled Stadium, then you must have missed then "60k minimum" part of my plan.

Apologies if I have misinterpretted you.

Fairness and the AFL should not be mentioned in the same breath. It's all about maximising revenue so the big boys such as AD get a massive bonus. Do you seriously think they give a shit about fairness. Hence having to watch bloody Collingwood every Friday night. Don't even get me started on the joke that is the 'fixture'. Fairness...don't make me laugh! It always has been and always will be the VFL.

so you want our biggest to be played at a dump that no one wants to go watch footy or even play on. yeah no thanks

Grrr, why can't people read posts entirely before opening their traps?

The AFL Grand Final has evolved into a huge off field one week event. Massive $$ involved (social, corporates, sponsors, etc)

To suggest that the whereabouts of a Grand Final is up in the air less than a week out is lunacy.

That could quite easily have been a reference to ANZ Stadium.

I wasn't aware that it was a dump :confused:

I'll admit I have never been there but I would expect an 11 year old stadium purpose built for the Olympics with 80 thousand seats to be decent. Perhaps I am horribly wrong though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, good luck with that. You will never create the grand final atmosphere anywhere but at the Mcg. What a waste it would be if it was held in Sydney. The rugby grandfinal would steal the thunder (and rightly so).

Don't like it. If the AFL went to a best of three grand final series, could then have the higher finishing team hosting two of the three games and guarantee that at least one is at the MCG.

Yeah, good luck with that. You will never create the grand final atmosphere anywhere but at the Mcg. What a waste it would be if it was held in Sydney. The rugby grandfinal would steal the thunder (and rightly so).

Are you saying that a 65 thousand seat arena filled to the brim with hardcore Fremantle and West Coast fans in Perth would not have a better atmosphere than the same game at the MCG where at least half of the crowd are corperates or neutral AFL/MCC members?

The tradition of the g has made the grand final special. Would the English fa move the upcoming Manchester derby in the fa cup semi to Manchester? No because the magic of wembley makes the fa cup special for fans. Also went to the 05 grand final which was s great event with so many interstaters coming to Melbourne for the week.

I wasn't aware that it was a dump :confused:

I'll admit I have never been there but I would expect an 11 year old stadium purpose built for the Olympics with 80 thousand seats to be decent. Perhaps I am horribly wrong though.

I haven't been there either, so I don't know what it's like from a spectators perspective. But certainly in recent times the playing surface has attracted a lot of criticism (Adam Cooney's injury last year comes to mind), it looked pretty bad on TV in round 2 aswell. How much the AFL can do about that I don't know as it's the only ground in the country that they share with rugby league, and each sport requires the surface to be different.

On another note, league would almost certainly have the stadium for their own finals, which would make it a tough ask to put a grand final there, and impossible to do on one weeks notice.

the FA cup is always played at wembley

Not entirely comperable. Wembley is not the home ground for any sides. It is a neutral venue completely.

Yes, having West Coast vs Fremantle at the MCG would not favour either side but having West Coast vs Collingwood, when West Coast finished higher than Collingwood on the ladder, would be unfair to the Eagles.

I can understand where the OP is coming from, but it will never happen. The AFL would not allow a GF to be played at say a ANZ where the capacity is 80 odd thousand (and thats the closest to the G capacity wise) when it could be played at the MCG in front of 100 thousand. I dont think the governments are going to renovate stadiums incase there is a small chance that there is a showdown or a derby (or Q clash lol) in a GF because you only have to look at how many times its happened so far. I think that every kid going through the ranks dreams of playing on that last saturday in sep at the G.

The tradition of the g has made the grand final special. Would the English fa move the upcoming Manchester derby in the fa cup semi to Manchester? No because the magic of wembley makes the fa cup special for fans. Also went to the 05 grand final which was s great event with so many interstaters coming to Melbourne for the week.

And herein lies part of the problem. So many neutral supporters, like you in this case, get to watch the game while fans of competing clubs have to stay at home. There are of course many issues with the ticketing distributions to competing clubs though, beyond the need for an interstate Grand Final.

Are you saying that a 65 thousand seat arena filled to the brim with hardcore Fremantle and West Coast fans in Perth would not have a better atmosphere than the same game at the MCG where at least half of the crowd are corperates or neutral AFL/MCC members?

Yeah, because an interstate grand final is going to remove the corporate ticketing issues:confused:. The Superbowl moving around every year still allows for a good 70% of tickets going to corporates, with the public tickets being sold at disgustingly high prices. In fact, if the matches were to go to smaller 65k stadiums interstate, the tickets would probably be too expensive for your average everyday punter... decreased supply would force prices up. I went to both the 05 & 06 GF (getting in before you use the neutral supporter argument) and the atmosphere was incredible. Almost comparable with that of 08.

Leave it where it bloody well belongs (and I'm not saying this as a biased Victorian). I'm also a big NRL fan and am more then happy for their GF to remain in Sydney (again, where it belongs...).

Hang on just one second here.

Don't assume that just because the Grand Final is held 3000 clicks away, that it will be out of the reach of the corporates.

And herein lies part of the problem. So many neutral supporters, like you in this case, get to watch the game while fans of competing clubs have to stay at home. There are of course many issues with the ticketing distributions to competing clubs though, beyond the need for an interstate Grand Final.

Well to be fair I got snuck into the grand final so it's not just an mcg issue.

Have you been to a grand final?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's time to take the Grand Final away from the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back