Jacinta Allan - Leading a zombie government

Remove this Banner Ad

Victoria’s health minister sought an urgent $422 million cash bailout for the state’s hospitals, bypassing cabinet to ensure health services could pay their staff and suppliers, documents reveal.

The dire financial state of health services last year has been exposed in a flurry of correspondence showing the state government went within days of being unable to pay the bills.

A ministerial brief, released under freedom of information laws, identified more than 20 health services that were forecast to finish the 2022-23 financial year in the red.

The brief, dated June 9, warned that without additional funding, the hospitals would be unable to make payroll payments and would have insufficient operating cash to pay creditors.

I'm pretty sure train conductors and trains are a great substitute for surgeons and hospitals

Most recent poll has ALP at 28% primary and behind 48-52 on 2pp. All the polls seem to have the ALP around 30 and the LNP in the 39-41 range. There's no realistic path to majority government for the ALP post-election on those numbers.

Most recent poll has ALP at 28% primary and behind 48-52 on 2pp. All the polls seem to have the ALP around 30 and the LNP in the 39-41 range. There's no realistic path to majority government for the ALP post-election on those numbers.
Which given the composition of the Victorian Liberals is pretty frightening. Hopefully things change before then and now.

Jacinta Allen had her people contact 3AW to come on Tom Elliott's show yesterday so she could announce the decision to allow gas top cookers to continue being used. Great news but why confine it to gas cookers? Households will still need to fork out thousands of dollars to concert gas HWS or heating into electrical systems when existing systems need replacing. No doubt a deal to appease her minister / climate activist, Liiy D'Ambrosio.

Meanwhile, Allen will push ahead with the 7.5% "Airbnb tax". Forget the fact property owners with investment properties have to pay annual land tax. Now on top of that they will "pay" 7.5% if the property is rented out for short stays., unless of course a High Court challenge deems the tax unconstitutional (a tax on a service which only the Federal government can levy as GST)

There are reportedly hundreds of investment holiday homes for sale on the Mornington Peninsula on the back of owners not being able to afford massive land tax bills. You'll struggle to count how many because agents will not promote the fact there properties are for sale for fear of a catastrophic collapse of the Peninsula market. Many of these properties were worth well above the median house price, so only a small cohort could afford to buy them, and only a small cohort could afford to rent them. Some property owners are facing up to $100,000 land tax bills... per annum.

Jacinta Allen had her people contact 3AW to come on Tom Elliott's show yesterday so she could announce the decision to allow gas top cookers to continue being used. Great news but why confine it to gas cookers? Households will still need to fork out thousands of dollars to concert gas HWS or heating into electrical systems when existing systems need replacing. No doubt a deal to appease her minister / climate activist, Liiy D'Ambrosio.

Meanwhile, Allen will push ahead with the 7.5% "Airbnb tax". Forget the fact property owners with investment properties have to pay annual land tax. Now on top of that they will "pay" 7.5% if the property is rented out for short stays., unless of course a High Court challenge deems the tax unconstitutional (a tax on a service which only the Federal government can levy as GST)

There are reportedly hundreds of investment holiday homes for sale on the Mornington Peninsula on the back of owners not being able to afford massive land tax bills. You'll struggle to count how many because agents will not promote the fact there properties are for sale for fear of a catastrophic collapse of the Peninsula market. Many of these properties were worth well above the median house price, so only a small cohort could afford to buy them, and only a small cohort could afford to rent them. Some property owners are facing up to $100,000 land tax bills... per annum.

now that is a sign of desperation. wanting to go on that right-wing buffoon’s flog fest.

So, affordable property for owner occupiers?

So, affordable property for owner occupiers?
Not the battlers trying to get into the market, I would have thought? Land values alone on the Peninsula would be far greater than what first time buyers can afford.

If this government had money it could do what the WA government has done - offered a $5,000 incentive to investment owners to turn holiday rentals into long term rentals. But this government has no money and doesn't operate that way; it's all about punishing evil families who dare to own a second property.

Not the battlers trying to get into the market, I would have thought? Land values alone on the Peninsula would be far greater than what first time buyers can afford.

If this government had money it could do what the WA government has done - offered a $5,000 incentive to investment owners to turn holiday rentals into long term rentals. But this government has no money and doesn't operate that way; it's all about punishing evil families who dare to own a second property.

It’s about accommodation lying empty while there’s a crisis (apparently)
But why not throw more taxpayer money at a market which is uneconomic without tax breaks?
Genuine holiday accomm should be exempt. The ones you can’t list as a primary residence

There’d be many governments around the world doing similar

I don't think you're going to see a whole lot of tears for people who CHOOSE to sell up their AirBnBs because of this new tax. If it makes the investment opportunity less attractive, then that is a good thing.

The gas thing is a bit moot I reckon, connection prices have increased to a point where putting gas on is unafforable, whether it's permitted or not.

It’s about accommodation lying empty while there’s a crisis (apparently)
This is the one that bemuses me. A $4M property in Blairgowrie, for example (I know of one that is for sale, that's why I quoted that). Do you think the people who are desperate for housing, either to buy or rent, will be in the market for such property? The rent would probably be $3000-4000/week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the one that bemuses me. A $4M property in Blairgowrie, for example (I know of one that is for sale, that's why I quoted that). Do you think the people who are desperate for housing, either to buy or rent, will be in the market for such property? The rent would probably be $3000-4000/week

Didn't Dan Andrews have a place in Blairgowrie?

Airbnb do exist outside the Peninsula. Tourist towns can't get people to work there because workers are priced out.

As investors buy up houses and turn them into Airbnbs it takes rental stock out of the market which is driving up rental prices.

The faster we go down the New York route the better.

I don't think you're going to see a whole lot of tears for people who CHOOSE to sell up their AirBnBs because of this new tax. If it makes the investment opportunity less attractive, then that is a good thing.

The gas thing is a bit moot I reckon, connection prices have increased to a point where putting gas on is unafforable, whether it's permitted or not.
i don't have tears for any peeps who have negatively geared properties.

The faster we go down the New York route the better.
If you think that will solve the housing crisis?

To me it fiddling around the edges while not actually tackling the real issues. Eventually, it will come back to bite the government big time.

Meanwhile, another example of how this government keeps treating us like mushrooms...

Allan govt refuses to release files over failed Comm Games bid​

The Allan government may be considered in contempt of parliament as it fights the release of hundreds of documents about its failed Commonwealth Games bid in a move that has been slammed as “a circus”.

How many new houses could have been built with the $650M wasted on the Comm Games cancellation? Answer at least 1,000 - 2,000

Last edited:
Meanwhile, another example of how this government keeps treating us like mushrooms...

Allan govt refuses to release files over failed Comm Games bid​

The Allan government may be considered in contempt of parliament as it fights the release of hundreds of documents about its failed Commonwealth Games bid in a move that has been slammed as “a circus”.

How many new houses could have been built with the $650M wasted on the Comm Games cancellation? Answer at least 1,000 - 2,000
I just had a phone call survey claiming to represent a political party. Normally I would hang up with some strong words about what they could do with their survey but this was about cancelling the 2032 Olympics in favour of more money for Health, Defence, Infrastructure etc z about six options I think with yes/no for each. I said yes to killing the Olympics everytime.

On SM-A136B using BigFooty.com mobile app

If you think that will solve the housing crisis?

To me it fiddling around the edges while not actually tackling the real issues. Eventually, it will come back to bite the government big time.
It's a start. More can and should be done by all 3 levels of government

I just had a phone call survey claiming to represent a political party. Normally I would hang up with some strong words about what they could do with their survey but this was about cancelling the 2032 Olympics in favour of more money for Health, Defence, Infrastructure etc z about six options I think with yes/no for each. I said yes to killing the Olympics everytime.

On SM-A136B using BigFooty.com mobile app
That sounds like a pretty bogus survey... As far as I know, the feds aren't contributing any money to the Olympics, and the states definitely don't contribute to defence...

That sounds like a pretty bogus survey... As far as I know, the feds aren't contributing any money to the Olympics, and the states definitely don't contribute to defence...

Remove this Banner Ad

Jacinta Allan - Leading a zombie government

Remove this Banner Ad

Back