Jacinta Allan - Leading a zombie government

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry to change the subject - but e-scooters being cancelled and removed in the CBD? Thought they were good?
Are they too dangerous?
I think NSW have had a ban for a while now.

Hospital emergency rooms have been complaining about them for some time. I've had some close calls as a pedestrian, can't imagine how some older or trailer folks walk around without feeling unsafe.

Sorry to change the subject - but e-scooters being cancelled and removed in the CBD? Thought they were good?
Are they too dangerous?
Just the 'Hoddle grid'. It will need to be voted in at a Council meeting tonight, I believe

Just the 'Hoddle grid'. It will need to be voted in at a Council meeting tonight, I believe
ABC News this morning reported that it was at the request of residents and shop owners. Anecdotally, my sister works in ER and is one of their biggest critics, definitely a rise in injuries from their introduction.

My understanding is it won't be a ban, the proposed changes are to make it illegal to ride them on the footpath and make providers more liable for scooters being ditched etc.

ABC News this morning reported that it was at the request of residents and shop owners. Anecdotally, my sister works in ER and is one of their biggest critics, definitely a rise in injuries from their introduction.

My understanding is it won't be a ban, the proposed changes are to make it illegal to ride them on the footpath and make providers more liable for scooters being ditched etc.
It is already illegal isn't it?
1723518263120.png

Just like delivery riders riding on the footpath even though it's illegal.
1723518156986.png

There isn't enough police out on the street to enforce the rules.

Yes I'm aware

They promised to raise the age from 10-14 and then didn't, I don't agree with 14 either but its certainly a step in the right direction

Again if you think a kid in grade 4 should be punished like an adult I think there is seriously something wrong with your views

They're not punished like an adult, they should be punished though.

Yes I'm aware

They promised to raise the age from 10-14 and then didn't, I don't agree with 14 either but its certainly a step in the right direction

Again if you think a kid in grade 4 should be punished like an adult I think there is seriously something wrong with your views

If you don't think a 14 year old should be punished then there's something wrong with your views.

Councillors have voted to ban share hire e-scooters from Melbourne’s CBD, with a slim majority pushing ahead with the plan to tear up the council’s contracts with operators – despite eleventh-hour pleas from the companies.
Lord Mayor Nick Reece on Tuesday evening moved an amended motion at a Future Melbourne committee meeting to cancel the contracts with e-scooter operators Lime and Neuron, which operate in the City of Melbourne.

They're not appropriate for city footpaths. They're too fast and dangerous to be mixing with pedestrians.

Every jurisdiction has had a massive increase in injuries commensurate with increased scooter usage.

The stupid thing is that Victoria started this trail after this was already found proven in 3 other states, not to mention overseas. And technically it has always been illegal. I don't think there's a problem with scooters in bike lanes or on-road in the CBD instead of footpaths.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're not appropriate for city footpaths. They're too fast and dangerous to be mixing with pedestrians.

Every jurisdiction has had a massive increase in injuries commensurate with increased scooter usage.

The stupid thing is that Victoria started this trail after this was already found proven in 3 other states, not to mention overseas. And technically it has always been illegal. I don't think there's a problem with scooters in bike lanes or on-road in the CBD instead of footpaths.
The problem is how unsafe our roads are for bikes and how few places have good bike lanes

There are currently no grade 4 kids (10 & 11year olds) on remand or incarcerated in Victoria and there haven’t been for years, according to a report in the HUN today

“Nor are there any aged 10 and 11 subject to any form of non-custodial order.

If youth crime is a problem among those under 12, it is a very small and manageable problem.

Offences committed by 10 and 11-year-olds in the last year made up 0.1 per cent of all offences, in line with long-running trends.”

This is how dire Victoria’s debt crisis is. No. 217.

Treasurer, Tim Pallas, has said he will not rule out increasing taxes to pay for the Premier's promise of $1.5B in additional funding for the Health sector. Why the **** not raise taxes? Victoria is already the highest taxed state or territory in Australia, so who will notice a further increase?

Meanwhile the government pushes on with the unfunded SRL project

There are currently no grade 4 kids (10 & 11year olds) on remand or incarcerated in Victoria and there haven’t been for years, according to a report in the HUN today

“Nor are there any aged 10 and 11 subject to any form of non-custodial order.

If youth crime is a problem among those under 12, it is a very small and manageable problem.

Offences committed by 10 and 11-year-olds in the last year made up 0.1 per cent of all offences, in line with long-running trends.”
Then what was the reason for not raising the age and putting out a statement that it was because of crime in that age group?

Could it be that its largely a bullshit excuse to keep the cops and the HUN happy?

The HUN wont' give a shit they'll just keep attacking anyway

Then what was the reason for not raising the age and putting out a statement that it was because of crime in that age group?

Could it be that its largely a bullshit excuse to keep the cops and the HUN happy?

The HUN wont' give a shit they'll just keep attacking anyway
No idea. Raising the age from 10 to 12 makes perfect sense, and that is borne out in the statistics. But from 12 - 14, I am not convinced.

What's wrong with the prosecution still having to demonstrate that children aged between 12 & 14 knew what they were doing was seriously wrong for a case to continue.

No idea. Raising the age from 10 to 12 makes perfect sense, and that is borne out in the statistics. But from 12 - 14, I am not convinced.

What's wrong with the prosecution still having to demonstrate that children aged between 12 & 14 knew what they were doing was seriously wrong for a case to continue.
again they are children

courts and criminal charges isn't helping them or anyone else other than the prison system

again they are children

courts and criminal charges isn't helping them or anyone else other than the prison system
It's all about finding the right balance. Children aged between 12 & 14 who are repeat serious offenders cannot and should not be excused simply because they are children.

You know that your last statement, "courts and criminal charges isn't helping them or anyone else" is false. Perhaps you should meet the victims of the crimes committed by these children and explain to them why you believe little Johnny should face no consequences.

It's all about finding the right balance. Children aged between 12 & 14 who are repeat serious offenders cannot and should not be excused simply because they are children.

You know that your last statement, "courts and criminal charges isn't helping them or anyone else" is false. Perhaps you should meet the victims of the crimes committed by these children and explain to them why you believe little Johnny should face no consequences.
there is literally no point having this conversation so you should stop quoting me

Agree with this, treating crime as crime benefits potential and previous victims of crime. That's self evident. Especially if you have ever been a victim of crime

Punishment I tend to agree is counter productive mostly, but there does need to be a deterrent. Again, there are often conflating factors in youth justice, and it is these factors that behoove our consideration, not simply age

The 14 year old who filmed the hit and run of cyclist on beach rd has been rearrested for car theft etc

Actually worse

Three teens as young as 14 have been charged over this latest youth crime incident in which it is alleged thugs with machetes forced a woman from her Mercedes-Benz sedan at Kavanah Reserve in Mordialloc at 9.25am on Tuesday.

The Merc was tracked by a police helicopter and followed on road to Carrum Downs before police laid out stop-sticks to end the escape on Frankston-Dandenong Rd.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Jacinta Allan - Leading a zombie government

Remove this Banner Ad

Back