Player Watch Jack Crisp

Remove this Banner Ad

Stynes tag teamed with a better ruck in Stephen ODwyer for much of his career, and when he retired (maybe went to Richmond?) due to injuries Schwarz and that ugly FF Bennett chopped out in the ruck.

Stynes was fitter but not a very talented tap ruck (ODwyer was clearly superior for mine) and only a passable short kick (he seemed to dink them about 20 metres). O'Dwyer took the important hit outs when they played, Stynes rucked more around the ground. definitely extremely fit, he was described as more like ruck rover the way he got around the field: most rucks then were dinosaurs. Maybe he did match Crisps game time? Its plausible.

Stynes was a good handball though and a nice man, which I think is most of the reason for the adulation. He got a lot of credit for not being crap even he only took the game up at about 19.

Very over rated as a player for mine, a good fit player but never the best player in the league, or even at Melbourne really.
AA, Brownlow and AFLPA in the same year, and 4 club BnFs as well as another AA, would say your view is a tad on the negative side.

Stynes tag teamed with a better ruck in Stephen ODwyer for much of his career, and when he retired (maybe went to Richmond?) due to injuries Schwarz and that ugly FF Bennett chopped out in the ruck.

Stynes was fitter but not a very talented tap ruck (ODwyer was clearly superior for mine) and only a passable short kick (he seemed to dink them about 20 metres). O'Dwyer took the important hit outs when they played, Stynes rucked more around the ground. definitely extremely fit, he was described as more like ruck rover the way he got around the field: most rucks then were dinosaurs. Maybe he did match Crisps game time? Its plausible.

Stynes was a good handball though and a nice man, which I think is most of the reason for the adulation. He got a lot of credit for not being crap even he only took the game up at about 19.

Very over rated as a player for mine, a good fit player but never the best player in the league, or even at Melbourne really.
It was an era when everyone focussed a lot on number of possessions and at his best he got a tonne of them for a ruck. I thought he was a superstar - like Dean Cox who gave his team an extra mid - and Grundy more recently for us. But you might be right if you put him through a more modern effectiveness lense - much like the downgrading of what Grundy does.

Last edited:

It was an era when everyone focussed a lot on number of possessions and at his best he got a tonne of them for a ruck. I thought he was outstanding - like Dean Cox who gave his team an extra mid - and Grundy more recently for us. But you might be right if you put him through a more modern effectiveness lense - much like Grundy.
It was also an era when it was completely acceptable, even expected, for coaches to go into full abuse mode. Imagine if a player pulled off this mistake now? There'd be hugs and requests to give him space to protect his mental health.
1729651843537.png

I’d do that this time around, but after his next 244 I’d just keep going.
Crispy’s just lucky that Malthouse coached, otherwise Tarks would be sitting at around 470 straight by now.

It was also an era when it was completely acceptable, even expected, for coaches to go into full abuse mode. Imagine if a player pulled off this mistake now? There'd be hugs and requests to give him space to protect his mental health.
View attachment 2150282
Knowing which players respond well to a cuddle or a bake is the art of a good coach. Jimmy was a tough Irishman. A lot would of crumbled after this incident and returned home. He turned into the premier ruckman in the game and a Brownlow medallist. Compare that to the snowflakes that return to their hometowns an hour away down the highway..

I'm probably biased because I dislike Melbourne, but what I mostly remember about Stynes was dinky chip kicks and average ruck work.
I remember the courage he showed battling an incurable illness.

If he breaks the record, it’ll be interesting to see if / how it affects his footy.

Has he been conservative in some way to preserve his body / avoid risk of suspension, and getting the record will release the shackles?

Has getting the record given him life purpose, and afterwards will he let himself go and be condemned to a life on the couch with pizzas, Netflix and getting smashed?

I’m guessing his footy will go to another level (up) once the record stops being a thing.

If he breaks the record, it’ll be interesting to see if / how it affects his footy.

Has he been conservative in some way to preserve his body / avoid risk of suspension, and getting the record will release the shackles?

Has getting the record given him life purpose, and afterwards will he let himself go and be condemned to a life on the couch with pizzas, Netflix and getting smashed?

I’m guessing his footy will go to another level (up) once the record stops being a thing.
There is zero evidence of Crisp having done anything "conservative" to preserve his body. Where has Crisp indicated that the record is at all a "thing" to him?

You really do come up with some fantastic thought bubbles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is zero evidence of Crisp having done anything "conservative" to preserve his body. Where has Crisp indicated that the record is at all a "thing" to him?

Picturing Crispy adapting his running patterns to ensure he was as far away as possible from Kreuger at all times.

Aw, thanks! 🥰

There is zero evidence of Crisp having done anything "conservative" to preserve his body.

A “hypothesis” is a thing.

“Sports Psychology” is another thing.

Who knows? I’m just pointing out that it could be a sub-plot to look out for in the 2025 season.

Where has Crisp indicated that the record is at all a "thing" to him?

When was the last time a player said “I’ll be playing this weekend with two broken ribs / slight calf strain / pearler of a bruise , so I’ll be taking it easy”?

Just because a player doesn’t say something, it doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.

This is complete bullshit that you are peddling. Stynes was a champion footballer and is primarily remembered for that.
Champion on and off the field seems to be a pretty broad, comfortable consensus. Not many ruckmen win Brownlows/MVPs

Aw, thanks! 🥰

Who knows? I’m just pointing out that it could be a sub-plot to look out for in the 2025 season.

When was the last time a player said “I’ll be playing this weekend with two broken ribs / slight calf strain / pearler of a bruise , so I’ll be taking it easy”?

The best thing for crispy is to equal the record and have the next week off. He'll be remembered more for the act of humility than if he broke the record.

Aw, thanks! 🥰

And maybe Crisp is a sleeper agent for the NRL whose sole purpose is to get the record which will get him in close proximity to the AFL CEO for an assassination attempt?

The best thing for crispy is to equal the record and have the next week off. He'll be remembered more for the act of humility than if he broke the record.

Screw that!

Records are made to be broken.

In 50 years time when people are looking up stats on ai.vr.aflstats.com.au it won’t have written next to Crispy’s name “Crispy was such a nice and humble guy that despite being able to go on with the record he elected not to.”

Besides, I doubt next season we’ll have the luxury of being able to rest senior players in round 15 for giggles / acts of humility.

Screw that!

In 50 years time when people are looking up stats on ai.vr.aflstats.com.au it won’t have written next to Crispy’s name “Crispy was such a nice and humble guy that despite being able to go on with the record he elected not to.”

Besides, I doubt next season we’ll have the luxury of being able to rest senior players in round 15 for giggles / acts of humility.
Round 8 - or 7 if we play round zero. Crisp is on 237 consecutive.

Screw that!

He'll forever be known as the guy who broke stynes record

And maybe Crisp is a sleeper agent for the NRL whose sole purpose is to get the record which will get him in close proximity to the AFL CEO for an assassination attempt?

Sure, this could be true.

And stranger things have indeed happened.

But ‘probability’ is a thing, and in this case it would appear to be a very small thing?

Just because our colours are black and white, it doesn’t mean that we need to see our world in that way.

Sure, this could be true.

And stranger things have indeed happened.

But ‘probability’ is a thing, and in this case it would appear to be a very small thing?

Just because our colours are black and white, it doesn’t mean that we need to see our world in that way.
Maybe apply some probability to your bullshit theory that Crisp has been holding himself back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jack Crisp

Remove this Banner Ad

Back