Toast Jack Dyer Medal 2024 - Positive vibes only

Remove this Banner Ad

Lets keep this thread positive vibes only, especially for the night please.

Its been a shit year, so lets have one good night. You have heaps of other threads to voice criticisms in.

Anyone being overly negative will be threadbanned.

Absolutely horrific.
I dont get why Baker was hugging and jumping up and down with Bolts but looked gloomy, unsure, sad whilst speaking to the Richmond army.

Yeah I get that they know they are both going back to WA but it seriously was a bad look. I feel for the Richmond fans, the supporters and now can understand why the presidents talk early in the day may have shook them.

If your a Tigers fan you would be filthy at what Baker and Bolts said tonight. Both looked totally disinterested.............I reckon they should have gone down the Saints path and not invited them.

Hardly inspiring and left a little sour taste in the mouth given what Richmond have gave them in their careers.

It was pretty pathetic, annoyed me a bit. However the whole vibe was crap, I think the players realized tonight how embarrassing a 2 win season looks add to that the oxygen getting sucked out of the air with 3 of those 6 players leaving.

****ing pathetic speech by Baker. Bolton is a horrific public speaker and always has been but Baker should've done better.
The worst thing about that speech was Liam Baker thought he was being funny up on that stage.

The 2nd half of the speech he was clearly trying to make a mockery of Richmonds future.

Him hugging Bolts up on stage was cringey but it was the tone of speech speaking to the Richmond people which was disappointing.

Bakers speech: had 'umms', said 'its been a great year', "im looking to what the forward the club does in the future", "going to be great look from afar". 🤦‍♀️

I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt in that he was pissed and trying to say the right things but was incapable of putting the words together. Great player but eloquent with words he is not.

The worst thing about that speech was Liam Baker thought he was being funny up on that stage.
Talk is our senior players wouldn't listen to Yze or weren't brought into line enough, too many liberties. Must be some truth to it because there is no way Dimma would have accepted those players to be so unprofessional.
Even Nankervis was bloody horrid.

He's never been a sharp tongue. He was clearly unprepared. Pretty disappointing.
Well you would think he would have been half-prepared given that it was going to be one of the more difficult B & Fs his been to. He looked like he came totally unprepared. I too would expect Liam Baker to be a bit better in speech than Bolts. It is what it is, and Im sure in 2025 Richmond fans will give him a frosty welcome and the red carpet won't be rolled when he is playing with one of the current WA sides.

Well you would think he would have been half-prepared given that it was going to be one of the more difficult B & Fs his been to. He looked like he came totally unprepared. I too would expect Liam Baker to be a bit better in speech than Bolts. It is what it is, and Im sure in 2025 Richmond fans will give him a frosty welcome and the red carpet won't be rolled when he is playing with one of the current WA sides.
None of them prepared any speeches. They all winged it. It was putrid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well hopefully with the president seeing the way Baker behaved at what is meant to be a highlight of our season for players & supporters. Here's hoping this is a line in the sand moment for the club, that we don't embarrass ourselves like that again We need to set standards that have obviously fallen off a cliff since 2021, time to shape up or ship out for anyone that doesn't tow the line.

We don’t mind our players exploring trades and setting themselves up financially/with family for the future as we will be well compensated for it. No grudge at all. But how hard is it after all the years of being at a footy club (and having many successful years at that) to at least stand up there and genuinely thank the club and your peers in the room with an at least half prepared speech that isn’t just coming across as taking the piss. We all know you’re leaving ffs, we just want to hear from you and to actually make some acknowledgements before leaving as you’ve been a big part of our lives for years. Obviously mainly referring to Baker/Bolton

Maybe it just shows how far our culture has fallen since 2020 but **** some of the older players would be disappointed, including our retired ones too

We are lucky to have Broady around as he’s one of the handful who still gives a shit about this sort of stuff and spoke genuinely multiple times throughout the night. Didn’t sugar coat anything

Last edited:
We don’t mind our players exploring trades and setting themselves up financially/with family for the future as we will be well compensated for it. No grudge at all. But how hard is it after all the years of being at a footy club (and having many successful years at that) to at least stand up there and genuinely thank the club and your peers in the room with an at least half prepared speech that isn’t just coming across as taking the piss. We all know you’re leaving ffs, we just want to hear from you and to actually make some acknowledgements before leaving as you’ve been a big part of our lives for years. Obviously mainly referring to Baker

Maybe it just shows how far our culture has fallen since 2020 but **** some of the older players would be disappointed, including our retired ones too

We are lucky to have Broady around as he’s one of the handful who still gives a shit about this sort of stuff and spoke genuinely multiple times throughout the night. Didn’t sugar coat anything
Given the amount of money these players are on, I dont think it should be too hard to string a couple of sentences together. No excuses from my side. If you can't speak in front of an audience, then look to get better at it. Shai Bolton came across as someone that didn't complete year 7 , given the level of that speech. Shai Bolton I just checked is a 25 year old man, yes a 25 year old man.....not a boy.

We don’t mind our players exploring trades and setting themselves up financially/with family for the future as we will be well compensated for it. No grudge at all. But how hard is it after all the years of being at a footy club (and having many successful years at that) to at least stand up there and genuinely thank the club and your peers in the room with an at least half prepared speech that isn’t just coming across as taking the piss. We all know you’re leaving ffs, we just want to hear from you and to actually make some acknowledgements before leaving as you’ve been a big part of our lives for years. Obviously mainly referring to Baker

Case in point - Tom Barrass. West Coast Best & Fairest was last week. He made a speech. He spoke from the heart, thanked the players and the club. Barrass wants to go to Hawthorn.

See article below:

It's a sensitive time when players want to be traded away from the club they are attending their Best & Fairest function. But players should show some class and respect I think. That didn't happen unfortunately at Richmond's Best & Fairest, a few players could of been better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Jack Dyer Medal 2024 - Positive vibes only

Remove this Banner Ad

Back