Analysis Jack Dyer Medal Gala Night

Remove this Banner Ad

I can respect an opposing point of view

But loyalty is a bit of a funny concept in today’s fully professional sport, like, it’s a bit of a flexible concept

We were all happy when we were in our window and Dusty turned down rival offers to stay hand help drive us to premierships

Now we are rebuilding some of players leaving and the picks we get for them may actually be beneficial to our rebuild, so what are we drawing a line in the sand about?

Delidio left and got us pick 19 or something and most of us were happy about that (and Delidio led to Caddy, led to Prestia and Lynch, led to premierships)

Assistant coaches leave and we’re like “thanks for your service” (in the same speech no less)

Now some premiership players are leaving and it’s “you’ve stabbed us in the back, let’s disrespect you on presentation night”

We delist players, end players careers, move players on if they don’t suit our needs – is there any two way loyalty in that? No, it’s just what professional football clubs do

Neither the players nor the club can expect true “loyalty” in a fully professional environment, but what people can expect is professionalism and things being done “in the right way” (not what happened in that speech)
Absolutely nothing wrong with the speech. Only person singled out was Broad who’s words were reiterated and followed up with Broad winning the Francis Bourke award.
Understand loyalty runs both way and it was clear then and had been now that a certain cohort of players weren’t buying in and their moves are being facilitated. I much prefer a president that’s there to defend the honour of the club then one that sits by and lets it get walked over. Eddie Maguire for all his faults was a legend at defending Collingwood. Basset as incoherent as he was defends his club. Absolutely nothing wrong with the speech I am sure the players are grown up (although Baker clearly showed immaturity) to realise that John is speaking passionately about his club. Surely no one is that much of a snowflake to take offence

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Jack Dyer Medal Gala Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back