Jack Ginnivan - Redemption arc

Has your opinion of Jack Ginnivan changed over the past 2 years?

• Yes

Votes: 66 30.3%
  • No

Votes: 152 69.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see Lachie Neale have confidence in his team and suggest they think they can go all the way.

Good to see Mitchell have confidence in his team and say they are here to win premierships.

Bloody Ginnivan though. How dare he disrespect Port Adelaide like that

Grumble grumble

Good to see Lachie Neale have confidence in his team and suggest they think they can go all the way.

Good to see Mitchell have confidence in his team and say they are here to win premierships.

Grumble grumble
You’re young bucks haven’t been around long enough to be cocky. Know your place.

Grumble grumble
So you are getting annoyed at others opinions?

Why not just let it go?
Or is it ok to disagree publicly with what others think?

Hes not even that cocky, he's just a cheerful chap. I haven't seem a single nasty thing from Jack.

Edit: the "worst" thing he did was rate girls on social media with his mate with their shirts off. It was childish bit he didn't threaten to asexually assault any of them.

Some sports people get incredibly focussed (and I mean its not actually credible) about honour and rspek and all sorts of prickly nonsense.

It's part of the game, our coach dabbles on it, because you have to "oh yes we respect last placed Eagles who are clearly tanking, they can beat anyone on their day".

Perhaps Jack is a bit on the spectrum and just doesn't read the room? "Technically I didn't have a drink, what's the fuss?" and "you said to relax, i go to the races to relax" and "Selwood milks frees, so it must be OK for everyone".

He has done nothing wrong. People get upset because he breaks the unwritten rules, if that triggers you get therapy or get the unwritten rules written down.

Hes not even that cocky, he's just a cheerful chap. I haven't seem a single nasty thing from Jack.

Edit: the "worst" thing he did was rate girls on social media with his mate with their shirts off. It was childish bit he didn't threaten to asexually assault any of them.

Some sports people get incredibly focussed (and I mean its not actually credible) about honour and rspek and all sorts of prickly nonsense.

It's part of the game, our coach dabbles on it, because you have to "oh yes we respect last placed Eagles who are clearly tanking, they can beat anyone on their day".

Perhaps Jack is a bit on the spectrum and just doesn't read the room? "Technically I didn't have a drink, what's the fuss?" and "you said to relax, i go to the races to relax" and "Selwood milks frees, so it must be OK for everyone".

He has done nothing wrong. People get upset because he breaks the unwritten rules, if that triggers you get therapy or get the unwritten rules written down.
Agreed, people also get v defensive of their club's decision one way or another. Hawks will back Mitch and the way he handles it, Pies will back Flea and his reasons. We move on.

I don't think it's simple as cheerful nor is it cocky imo, I just think the bloke lacks maturity and self-awareness. I couldn't care less about this Instagram comment, but you can be too much of a larikin to the point it becomes unbearable. And looking at his dad's antics in the rooms after that game you can see where he gets it, displaying that typical immature bogan behaviour that you wouldn't expect from 45+ year old.

Everything we've seen of ginnivan in public, interviews etc so far just scream low IQ and immaturity. If that's his personality then fine, but people can also choose to not entertain it. I ain't opposed to fun, but the bloke just seems to lack any serious substance by making a joke out of everything.

Last edited:
he's a handy player but an absolute twat with absolutely nothing going on upstairs. He's a few cards short of a full deck. Pies should've kept him though. McRae probably was trying to be too fancy with his wholistic, arty, approach to coaching.

he's a handy player but an absolute twat with absolutely nothing going on upstairs. He's a few cards short of a full deck. Pies should've kept him though. McRae probably was trying to be too fancy with his wholistic, arty, approach to coaching.
He was superfluous to our needs and could be used as an example.

I don't think it's simple as cheerful nor is it cocky imo, I just think the bloke lacks maturity and self-awareness. I couldn't care less about this Instagram comment, but you can be too much of a larikin to the point it becomes unbearable. And looking at his dad's antics in the rooms after that game you can see where he gets it, displaying that typical immature bogan behaviour that you wouldn't expect from 45+ year old.

Everything we've seen of ginnivan in public, interviews etc so far just scream low IQ and immaturity. If that's his personality then fine, but people can also choose to not entertain it. I ain't opposed to fun, but the bloke just seems to lack any serious substance by making a joke out of everything.

Oh give it a rest, you guys have Papley

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah Goodys approach of getting shit faced with the players is the way to go

I think the Pies will be wondering if that should have given him a longer leash on field, as he has shown a better ability around the ground.

Off the field though he needed a shorter leash and I suspect this was their main issue with him.

He’s had a good year and you wonder if he needed the kick up the ass anyway. It certainly helps that he and the other Hawthorn hobbits get looked after inside 50 when they changed the rules with us and decapitation was suddenly allowed after Selwoods cheating and 150 years of it being in the rule book.

When the Hawks start losing it will be interesting if they put up with his antics. It’ll certainly be a spectacle next time we beat the Hawks after his sleepy time last time. You’ll notice that players don’t celebrate goals against their past clubs, obviously Ginni missed that one when he started copying them

Most Collingwood supporters would disagree with you.
I wouldn't disagree that he is a winner. Trading him to Hawthorn was a dreadful decision, made significantly worse by the team's lack of success this year. Getting rid of him was an Oliver Cromwell kill-joy decision that cost the team a unique personality and a team lifter. Schulz was a waste of a first round pick and really short sighted given the quality of players available in this year's draft. I miss Ginnivan's willingness to take on the status quo and be himself. The one big knock on him with the Pies was his lack-lustre grand final effort but he showed last week that he is capable of rising to the occasion in finals' footy. We will be sorry we gave him up so cheaply.

I wouldn't disagree that he is a winner. Trading him to Hawthorn was a dreadful decision, made significantly worse by the team's lack of success this year. Getting rid of him was an Oliver Cromwell kill-joy decision that cost the team a unique personality and a team lifter. Schulz was a waste of a first round pick and really short sighted given the quality of players available in this year's draft. I miss Ginnivan's willingness to take on the status quo and be himself. The one big knock on him with the Pies was his lack-lustre grand final effort but he showed last week that he is capable of rising to the occasion in finals' footy. We will be sorry we gave him up so cheaply.

The post above you opinion is not popular at Collingwood

Would he be the first player to go back to back premierships with two different clubs?

No. It happened twice 99 years ago

Wow! Did Luke Ball play in 09 St Kilda (I know they lost and then against his club for a premiership the year after?
Then he lost to the same side while playing for another club.
Yeah, he was benched for a large part of the '09 GF, which was a big catalyst for him changing clubs.

Yeah, he was benched for a large part of the '09 GF, which was a big catalyst for him changing clubs.
Poor Ball, still a Saont in his heart and a footballer through and through. Made to play non football by Kyon, who has mangled our game.

Lyon would not have much use fir Ginnivan either we, a very different player to Ball, but very much a skills and instinct type.

Why not just let it go?
Or is it ok to disagree publicly with what others think?

Grumble grumble

You’re young bucks haven’t been around long enough to be cocky. Know your place.

I am not a young buck nor do I play football. I dont need to know my place

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Ginnivan - Redemption arc

Back