Jack Ginnivan - Redemption arc

Has your opinion of Jack Ginnivan changed over the past 2 years?

• Yes

Votes: 66 30.3%
  • No

Votes: 152 69.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think it's simple as cheerful nor is it cocky imo, I just think the bloke lacks maturity and self-awareness. I couldn't care less about this Instagram comment, but you can be too much of a larikin to the point it becomes unbearable. And looking at his dad's antics in the rooms after that game you can see where he gets it, displaying that typical immature bogan behaviour that you wouldn't expect from 45+ year old.

Everything we've seen of ginnivan in public, interviews etc so far just scream low IQ and immaturity. If that's his personality then fine, but people can also choose to not entertain it. I ain't opposed to fun, but the bloke just seems to lack any serious substance by making a joke out of everything.

You're fine with Papley though?

From all reports he is actually an intelligent guy. Especially on the field his footy smarts are excellent

All you grumpy old bastards ITT are bloody entertaining. Absolutely sucked in!

You're fine with Papley though?

From all reports he is actually an intelligent guy. Especially on the field his footy smarts are excellent

All you grumpy old bastards ITT are bloody entertaining. Absolutely sucked in!
Just because i'm a swans fan doesn't mean it assumes our players can do no wrong... Paps most definitely is missing a few IQ points, but he hardly carries on off the field

Ginni purposely antagonises and has built his whole footy persona around it, it just gets annoying after a while it's hard to take him seriously as an adult. Gives off Capper and jacko jackson vibes. Acting like that reduces your aura.

he's a handy player but an absolute twat with absolutely nothing going on upstairs. He's a few cards short of a full deck. Pies should've kept him though. McRae probably was trying to be too fancy with his wholistic, arty, approach to coaching.
You can see why McRae wanted him out though...
He saw that he wasn't really doing the team things & was making things more about himself.

You can see why McRae wanted him out though...
He saw that he wasn't really doing the team things & was making things more about himself.
Maybe the team things aren't working so well anymore - perhaps they have become tired and are not fuelling the teams' fire anymore, and an individual spark is needed to lift them on field. Ginnivan's cheeky, in your face celebrations and behaviour on the ground seem precisely what is needed to spark the side during a game. Instead we are stuck with a reliance on motivational plays and 'we want to win because we want to win' type verbal rev ups.

Football with its increasing push for minimal contact play can become boring and one sided, not helped by the fielding of teams full of automatons and club sycophants. The game needs players with personality and flair to generate on field entertainment and lift the spirits and intensity of teammates through the infectious, inspiring nature of their words and action.

I dont mind the lad to be honest.
I dont think he's cocky, just think he wants to fit in, maybe be one of the cool kids but doesnt know how to go about it and goes overboard occasionally seeking acknowledgement which can backfire and become negative.

Was looking out for him inparticular yesterday as they walked up the ramp at arrivals and he was the least obvious with his cap down, I wouldnt say embarrassed at the attention but certainly not looking for it.

Ginni is a premiership player. Maybe a few others should know their place because he might not have a Brownlow medal but he has earned the right to be cocky.
Nah. He hasn’t earned the right to be cocky. Blokes like Hawkins, Selwood, Pendlebury etc who have won multiple flags and achieved far more than Ginnivan (who did stuff all in the GF anyway) don’t behave in that manner.

Plain and simple, the guy is a smartarse, who has no self awareness, or self reflection, and won’t accept valid criticism. The Hawks will find this out in due course.

I’m barracking for the Power tonight, firstly for Ken’s sake of course, but then for no other reason than to see Ginnivan’s tyres get deflated.

I don't think it's simple as cheerful nor is it cocky imo, I just think the bloke lacks maturity and self-awareness. I couldn't care less about this Instagram comment, but you can be too much of a larikin to the point it becomes unbearable. And looking at his dad's antics in the rooms after that game you can see where he gets it, displaying that typical immature bogan behaviour that you wouldn't expect from 45+ year old.

Everything we've seen of ginnivan in public, interviews etc so far just scream low IQ and immaturity. If that's his personality then fine, but people can also choose to not entertain it. I ain't opposed to fun, but the bloke just seems to lack any serious substance by making a joke out of everything.

Ginni is more of an enigma than people realise.

We see everything in the mainstream media, but there's other things that don't get the same recognition.

Hawthorn's social media would let 1 player take control of the instagram feed each interstate trip.
One week, it was cutting to different players doing different things at the airport. Some eating, some playing games on their phones, some bantering etc.
Ginni was alone and reading The Resilience Project.

He's been singled out by multiple Hawks players this year for his footy IQ and ability to communicate messages to the rest of his team mates.

Then there was a moment I witnessed personally at Gather Round. I was standing behind Jarman Impey's Grandmother at the open training session. Karl Amon was having a big chat with her and then introduced Jack. If any single person greeted me on the first meeting the way Ginni greeted this old lady then I'd either instantly fall in love or be ready to do anything for them for the rest of my life. He was absolutely beautiful to her, in the most sincere way possible.

Jack Ginnivan is many things. He isn't just immature and confident. He's polite. He's always trying to improve himself. And he's developing into a leader.

Might actually be one the most unique modern character studies of a player in footy between now and the end of his career. I'm just as curious to see how he develops as a person as he does a player.

We see everything in the mainstream media, but there's other things that don't get the same recognition.

Hawthorn's social media would let 1 player take control of the instagram feed each interstate trip.
One week, it was cutting to different players doing different things at the airport. Some eating, some playing games on their phones, some bantering etc.

He's been singled out by multiple Hawks players this year for his footy IQ and ability to communicate messages to the rest of his team mates.

Then there was a moment I witnessed personally at Gather Round. I was standing behind Jarman Impey's Grandmother at the open training session. Karl Amon was having a big chat with her and then introduced Jack. If any single person greeted me on the first meeting the way Ginni greeted this old lady then I'd either instantly fall in love or be ready to do anything for them for the rest of my life. He was absolutely beautiful to her, in the most sincere way possible.

Jack Ginnivan is many things. He isn't just immature and confident. He's polite. He's always trying to improve himself. And he's developing into a leader.

Might actually be one the most unique modern character studies of a player in footy between now and the end of his career. I'm just as curious to see how he develops as a person as he does a player.
And you can add 'speaks well of himself' too.
Thanks Jack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi Mrs Ginnivan.

You're over thinking it

He's just a random guy that is largely quite uninteresting other than the fact he is an average to above average AFL footballer.

There's just not much more to it than that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Ginnivan - Redemption arc

Back