Jack Ginnivan - Redemption arc

Has your opinion of Jack Ginnivan changed over the past 2 years?

• Yes

Votes: 66 30.1%
  • No

Votes: 153 69.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats not the point. Hinkley is supposed to be a role model who should know better. Frankly he should get a 12 week ban and if he ever does anything again a lifetime ban from the sport. But the afl is pissweak so it wont happen. When you see regular parent and crowd violence at local games you cant and shouldnt condone this crap. The last thing you want is our game ending up with the reputation for violence incitement that soccer does.
AFL is so pissweak reckons the bloke who recommends 12 week to lifetime ban for post-game playful banter??

Thats not the point. Hinkley is supposed to be a role model who should know better. Frankly he should get a 12 week ban and if he ever does anything again a lifetime ban from the sport. But the afl is pissweak so it wont happen. When you see regular parent and crowd violence at local games you cant and shouldnt condone this crap. The last thing you want is our game ending up with the reputation for violence incitement that soccer does.
Should be jailed.

Ken’s antics are not a lynching offense. The embarrassing look of a grown man mouthing off to a smartarse kid, with every pundit in the country having an opinion on it, is punishment enough.

Should be jailed.

Thats a bit much for this specific incident but you are on the right track.

We should clearly have jail time for aggressive behaviour at junior or country footy and we should have very severe bans for any coaches or players that model that behaviour at AFL level. Change their behaviour or get them out of the game.

You scan a BigFooty thread and the vast majority of posts, you can see reason, even if you disagree with most of the posts and then lo and behold, a zinger turns up, you re-read it - yup, they actually said that. This is one of these.

Last week we had Jason McCartney fined $20k for coming into contact with an opposition player during the game. This week, some want half the home and away season for a clever sledge post game of a player who ironically did much the same post game, the week before.

There are too many in the media looking for a story out of absolutely nothing so to fill column inches or on-air callback. The sledge ball was gently lobbed up by Ginnivan and the HOK club only for it to sizzle past their ears on return. Enjoy the theater and appreciate the banter and hopefully the AFL have a laugh and move to the next item on the agenda.

Ginnivan had a solid game for a small forward.

And he wouldnt give a toss about Ken, reckon he would have been loving it actually.

The problem aint Ginnivan.
He was very soft on the night.

Hes a great finisher. It's one thing to finish other people's work but the best win their own ball too.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He doesn't do much and the Hawks already have the far superior Wizard if they keep improving I wonder how long they will even keep playing Ginnavin for

He does plenty. Had a fine year.

The Wiz will be something else though.

Yep- it’s not personal- I always enjoy your posting on our board and I certainly can see where you are coming from but I think this has been blown out of proportion. Hinkley wasn’t aggro, nor was he angry. He wasn’t bullying, he wasn’t gesticulating or walking towards anyone. Just made a crack about hoping Ginnivan can get a refund on his flight or something- it’s funny.
He probably regrets doing and should have been a more gracious winner, it but it could have easily been laughed off. Sicily’s response wasn’t warranted from what I saw. He was the one who got aggro- he was the angry one who started walking towards Hinkley. Sicily was mad about losing the game and he let his emotions get the better of him.

Yeah i get that-youre a good person with a lot of things.
Look i get that ken was heat of the moment and he probably didnt think but hes very very lucky it didnt escalate further.
I was at a junior footy game a few years ago (lucky the kids were home with my mum) where a coach did almost exactly what ken did (virtual copy) and one of the players on the other team reacted like sicily. Then one of the coaches players reacted and punched someone and it ended up in an all in brawl where parents were running crying kids to their cars to keep them safe and people were getting hit while waiting for the police to get there. So i know exactly how it can go.
I talk to a lot of parents where i live who love footy themselves but wont let their kids go to country games and this is the exact reason why.
And its a much bigger problem for the league than it realises (the affect on junior participation and promoting the game etc). And the league should be coming down on it way harder than it does.

Weve got people getting 2 week suspensions for accidental head contact but we dont have the stomach to give 20 week suspensions for actions that we dont want to see repeated in juniors and might start a riot.
The afl has its priorities all wrong.

Yeah i get that-youre a good person with a lot of things.
Look i get that ken was heat of the moment and he probably didnt think but hes very very lucky it didnt escalate further.
I was at a junior footy game a few years ago (lucky the kids were home with my mum) where a coach did almost exactly what ken did (virtual copy) and one of the players on the other team reacted like sicily. Then one of the coaches players reacted and punched someone and it ended up in an all in brawl where parents were running crying kids to their cars to keep them safe and people were getting hit while waiting for the police to get there. So i know exactly how it can go.
I talk to a lot of parents where i live who love footy themselves but wont let their kids go to country games and this is the exact reason why.
And its a much bigger problem for the league than it realises (the affect on junior participation and promoting the game etc). And the league should be coming down on it way harder than it does.

Weve got people getting 2 week suspensions for accidental head contact but we dont have the stomach to give 20 week suspensions for actions that we dont want to see repeated in juniors and might start a riot.
The afl has its priorities all wrong.

If you think this is more serious than protecting against head knocks, particularly at junior footy, then your priorities are the ones that are all wrong.

Besides, anything can start a riot. I’ve been at junior games where fights have started because of reactions to the same over the top celebrating this Hawthorn side have been (rightly) celebrated for. Better start handing out season long bans for that too

The fact that he made one at all suggests that he knows he did something wrong.
He got caught up in the moment and then realised it wasn’t a great look and apologised. Fair enough.

But the carryon from Hodge and Lewis (the latter being almost in hysterics over it), and then Mitchell’s post game performance really made it into a story we are still talking about.

Ginnivan and Hinkley both harmless stuff.

While I understand Sicily and Mitchell sticking up for their player, massive bias and overreaction from Hodge and Lewis - who both lived in the same glass house as Mitchell.

All massive storm in a teacup stuff.

He got caught up in the moment and then realised it wasn’t a great look and apologised. Fair enough.

But the carryon from Hodge and Lewis (the latter being almost in hysterics over it), and then Mitchell’s post game performance really made it into a story we are still talking about.

So now it's the commentators we're talking about?

I honestly have nothing to say about former players in the media who rake in large salaries for giving their opinions on matches involving their former clubs.

Haven't watched Sam's presser. But I did notice he didn't carry on like a tosser on the ground post match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Ginnivan - Redemption arc

Back