News Jack Hombsch Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

So let me get this straight. All the posters in here wanted us to play hard ball over a defender who was no longer best 22 and had bung hips?

In this thread people pretend that Hombsch wasn't contracted and we didn't have the choice of just keeping him rather than now having literally zero KPD options outside our first 22
We will simply jig the stats on the website to show that Dan Houston is 197cm ala Cam O'Shea

Its always hard, we seem to be very willing to help players leave for opportunities. A case in point Hombsch for a future 4th.
However this isn't always reciprocated - A case in point, Mayes for 35.

Now I understand there's more to the Mayes, but, just once I'd like to trade out a fringe for sub 50.

So let me get this straight. All the posters in here wanted us to play hard ball over a defender who was no longer best 22 and had bung hips?

We wanted the club to do something good I guess. Anything.

He was contracted. He wanted to stay. He may have been no longer best 22 but he was literally our only KPD option outside of it. I didn't want us to play hard ball, I wanted us to take our ball and go home.

When Jonas or Clurey or Howard gets injured next year and we end up with some poor bugger like Riley Bonner playing at full back I bet we'll be super grateful for that future 4th rounder though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Toumpas taking the piss outta his former employer

1e63cec21547039a0c78301ec415379d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

He was contracted. He wanted to stay. He may have been no longer best 22 but he was literally our only KPD option outside of it. I didn't want us to play hard ball, I wanted us to take our ball and go home.

When Jonas or Clurey or Howard gets injured next year and we end up with some poor bugger like Riley Bonner playing at full back I bet we'll be super grateful for that future 4th rounder though.

Did you see what he'd become in the back half of the season? Two moments in the Showdown alone had me thinking 'Poor Jack, I think he may have to retire. His body is completely shot'.

Let's get real people, seriously.

Hombsch is a great club man and was our number one defender a few years back, but he has dropped off massively in the past couple of years. Do we not remember the bath that seagull Jenkins gave him in the last Showdown?

It's a win-win trade, as no fringe players have been going for good picks this year.

I hope he gets a few more years out of his career and establishes himself in the GC 22, but he was never getting in front of Dougal, Jonas, Clurey, Lienert, Burton, etc.

I hope he gets a few more years out of his career and establishes himself in the GC 22, but he was never getting in front of Dougal, Jonas, Clurey, Lienert, Burton, etc.

Lienert and Burton aren't key defenders, and there is no 'etc'. It's Dougal, Jonas, Clurey. That's it. He didn't need to get in front of them, he needed to be there in case one of them is unavailable.

Lienert and Burton aren't key defenders, and there is no 'etc'. It's Dougal, Jonas, Clurey. That's it. He didn't need to get in front of them, he needed to be there in case one of them is unavailable.

I don't think Hombsch was ever a key defender either, more of a third man up.

He's basically the same size as Burton and Lienert so I can't see why they couldn't play the same role that he did.

I'd honesty rather draft a KPD in this draft and let them develop in the Magpies than have Hombsch. I think he's finished, but just my opinion.

Always loved Hombsch and think he did a decent job as a back up this year, albeit with a couple of howler games thrown into the mix. Looked like becoming an absolute star defender but injuries got the better of him unfortunately. Hope he does well at the SUNS. He might even get to extend his lead on the venues played at leaderboard given the SUNS play in Cairns where he's never played.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Jack Hombsch Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back