Rumour Jack Lucrowsius

Remove this Banner Ad

Hardwick built his forward line around two contested marking key forwards, Lynch and Riewoldt.

Lukosius doesn't fit his ideal structure so certainly understandable that he's on the outer there. He didn't really use a 3rd tall forward or any sort of hybrid role at Richmond.

The question for us is does Lukosius just not fit Hardwick's ideal structure, or does he not fit any (aspiring) premiership team's structure?

Is it just a bad fit with Hardwick or is he just not good enough?

To me it comes down to role. What is Lukosius' best role at AFL level and are we able to build this into our team? Frankly I worry that Nicks and his cohorts aren't sharp enough to utilise Lukosius' skills. They prefer the crash n bash types. Even with our best two mids Dawson and Rankine they came around slowly to as to being used in the midfield. Our coaches don't seem to be able to intuitively recognise or utilise each player's strengths.
Couple this post with the salary cap relief that the Suns get and being able to accommodate both current players and future trades to their Club and its very clear that Luko leaving the Suns is in their best interest.

This is exactly like the Bowes situation all over again for them.

Smelling more like a cheap trade by the day. Might be able to wangle Luko and a pick upgrade this year for some future pick shenanigans
;) Luko, Rosas + Pick 13 for Crows F1 and 27

If we could work the list spots out, then we could get Draper / Lalor + Dodson (or another quality mid) and Welsh in this draft. ANB, Luko and Rosas traded in

What for Cumming? not sure how it would work for list spots with the above moving parts

;) Luko, Rosas + Pick 13 for Crows F1 and 27

If we could work the list spots out, then we could get Draper / Lalor + Dodson (or another quality mid) and Welsh in this draft. ANB, Luko and Rosas traded in

What for Cumming? not sure how it would work for list spots with the above moving parts
Cumming is a free agent

Cumming is a free agent
I know, it was more on list spots the issue presents

A variation on that may work.

Crows:- GC F1 & Luko
GC:- Crows F1 & 27

GC gamble that they make finals next year and we finish outside the finals so it ends up being a deal well in their favor

We gamble that GC stay out of finals and we might crack finals and then it works out a good deal our way

Both clubs retain an F1

Last edited:
Hardwick built his forward line around two contested marking key forwards, Lynch and Riewoldt.

Lukosius doesn't fit his ideal structure so certainly understandable that he's on the outer there. He didn't really use a 3rd tall forward or any sort of hybrid role at Richmond.

The question for us is does Lukosius just not fit Hardwick's ideal structure, or does he not fit any (aspiring) premiership team's structure?

Is it just a bad fit with Hardwick or is he just not good enough?

To me it comes down to role. What is Lukosius' best role at AFL level and are we able to build this into our team? Frankly I worry that Nicks and his cohorts aren't sharp enough to utilise Lukosius' skills. They prefer the crash n bash types. Even with our best two mids Dawson and Rankine they came around slowly to as to being used in the midfield. Our coaches don't seem to be able to intuitively recognise or utilise each player's strengths.
I have occasionally wondered where Lukosius see's himself playing and his preferred role, as well as what his best role is.

It's weird, Hardwick discussed that he see's him playing more of a HB role, and then mentioned that there a couple of areas of his game he needs to work on for that position.

Yet when he was dropped, after missing the first game he played as KPF in the final game, after playing him largely at HB for the previous 14-15 games?

Hard to see Nicks playing him as a forward if all of Fogarty, Tex and TT are available.

Personally, without Tex playing I can legit see him playing as either a 3rd tall or playing further up the ground and moving forward when TT goes into the ruck to chop out for ROB (or a variety of these 2 depending on the oppo).

I have occasionally wondered where Lukosius see's himself playing and his preferred role, as well as what his best role is.

It's weird, Hardwick discussed that he see's him playing more of a HB role, and then mentioned that there a couple of areas of his game he needs to work on for that position.

Yet when he was dropped, after missing the first game he played as KPF in the final game, after playing him largely at HB for the previous 14-15 games?

Hard to see Nicks playing him as a forward if all of Fogarty, Tex and TT are available.

Personally, without Tex playing I can legit see him playing as either a 3rd tall or playing further up the ground and moving forward when TT goes into the ruck to chop out for ROB (or a variety of these 2 depending on the oppo).
This is the key to any potential trade. Where is he going to play to bring out the best in him and put those elite skills on display. I like a mobile role, a bit as described above but perhaps with him starting on the wing, if we go into a game with our stacked forward line.

I know, it was more on list spots the issue presents

A variation on that may work.

Crows:- GC F1 & Luko
GC:- Crows F1 & 27

GC gamble that they make finals next year and we finish outside the finals so it ends up being a deal well in their favor

We gamble that GC stay out of finals and we might crack finals and then it works out a good deal our way

Both clubs retain an F1
Another bottom 5 finish in 2025 wont surprise me. We cannot afford to be giving away a Top 5 pick for Luko.

It should be a F2 at best.

Couple this post with the salary cap relief that the Suns get and being able to accommodate both current players and future trades to their Club and its very clear that Luko leaving the Suns is in their best interest.

This is exactly like the Bowes situation all over again for them.
Except it doesn't favour Geelong, so therefore they want something back

I hear you although its mitigated against what GC do as we would have their F1,they may also flop again
They wont flop. They will come close to if not make the 8 in 2025.

Hardwick made Metricon almost impregnable in 2024. They just need to work on their away games.

This is the key to any potential trade. Where is he going to play to bring out the best in him and put those elite skills on display. I like a mobile role, a bit as described above but perhaps with him starting on the wing, if we go into a game with our stacked forward line.
We do need another wingman

Sholl has come on this year and would probably win our most improved award. But who's on the other wing? We have rotated a few players there but I don't think anyone has nailed it down and some have seemed place holders best utilised elsewhere (Dowling). Or were shunted there to accommodate others (Hinge with Laird moving down back).

If he has the choice of Ken & Nix, he may decide to stay at the Suns.
And at a million $ a year over the next 2 years they can keep him. We’d be looking at a longer contract and smoothing this out.
I’m happy to see us getting Luko as long as we’re not paying too much in salary and picks.
There’s no reason why we should be helping the Suns out here unless there’s something in it for us. There’s an opportunity for a win/win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is he even really a need?

Perhaps Curtin will be playing a similar going forward - wing/ HF? Welsh as a FS playing a high HF role?

If we land Cumming as a FA I imagine he'd probably slot into a wing or HB as well?

We do need another wingman

Sholl has come on this year and would probably win our most improved award. But who's on the other wing? We have rotated a few players there but I don't think anyone has nailed it down and some have seemed place holders best utilised elsewhere (Dowling). Or were shunted there to accommodate others (Hinge with Laird moving down back).

Nankervis is a good shout for a wing spot. He wasn't drafted as a defender, more as a slow burn mid.

Absolutely.

& should have given Ryan a debut.
I think it's one of our biggest weaknesses.

We don't have alot of great one on one players or players that can at the opposition.

This puts even greater pressure on our ability to execute with skill and precision to move the ball well. Which we invariably crumble under.

The ability to drag the opposition out of their defensive patterns creates easy opportunities upfield.

I just don’t know how Luko, Walker, Fog and TT fit all in the forwardline. I understand Walker won’t play every game, but I’d assume TT would be used as ruck if all four were to play?
They don't. Luko becomes a connector like Lynch between the arcs and at high half forward and Walker is only likely here for 1 more year.

If we are running luko in that role should he come and have Dan Curtin on the other wing also as a very good kick inside forward 50, then having Cumming come in and maybe Ryan as well will provide the pace on either flank to compliment this strategy

Last edited:
I just don’t know how Luko, Walker, Fog and TT fit all in the forwardline. I understand Walker won’t play every game, but I’d assume TT would be used as ruck if all four were to play?
oh idk luko on the wing, thilthorpe in the ruck? doesnt look so tall then does it. especially with tex only playing home games.

They don't. Luko becomes a connector like Lynch between the arcs and at high half forward and Walker is only likely here for 1 more year.

If we are running luko in that role should he come and have Dan Curtin on the other wing also as a very good kick inside forward 50, then having Cumming come in and maybe Ryan as well will provide the pace on either flank to compliment this strategy

That's how I see Luko fitting in as well

From what I have seen of Luko he's not a traditional tall forward that clunks contested marks, he seems to be more of a mobile high half forward.

I think he could fit in really well with our forward line.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Jack Lucrowsius

Remove this Banner Ad

Back