News Jack Lukosius nominates Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

The club won't allow that to happen. Unless things drastically change. It was been made clear to Tredrea he is a Board member only. Even some simple tips he has wanted to give players around leading patterns was shot down in flames. Chad Cornes is the Forward coach and he will be the one who does the coaching.

I would have thought when you have your only AFL Premiership Captain and Multiple All-Australian key forward wanting to pass on some wisdom this would be welcomed with open arms, but I guess those at Alberton have other ideas.
If Ken goes (fingers crossed) and Josh takes over, that might change. If Ken is the one 'making it clear' especially.

WHY POWER CAN CROW OVER JACK

By Simeon Thomas-Wilson

Jack Lukosius requesting a trade to Port Adelaide is a big boost for the Power.

It is an even bigger loss for Adelaide.

It is easy to pit the two clubs against each other when a South Australian is looking at returning home.

But in this case there is a clear winner and a clear loser.

For Adelaide, it is a disaster.

With pressure from fans mounting the Crows need to have a big off-season after their poor 2024.

Alex Neal-Bullen will come from Melbourne, maybe Isaac Cumming from GWS but Port could win the race for him too and potentially Malcolm Rosas Jr from the Suns.

But while Neal-Bullen will be a good addition to the Crows, it hardly screams the “aggressive off-season”
Adelaide promised.

And Lukosius was the number one target at West Lakes.

Adelaide viewed him as a Tom Lynch connector type player in the Crows forward line, and with Riley Thilthorpe and Darcy Fogarty there it looks like a better fit.

It’s understood that the Crows offered Lukosius a more lucrative deal to come to West Lakes.

But while it was 50/50 as recently as last weekend, Lukosius’ close relationship with Power captain Connor Rozee meant he was willing to turn down the more lucrative offer and nominate Alberton.

For the Power, who will love getting one over the fierce rivals, Lukosius might not have been the priority when it emerged that he would be able to be lured back to Adelaide after falling out of favour at Gold Coast.

But in recent weeks he has become a lot more important for the Power.

While it hasn’t fully translated to AFL level, Lukosius does possess elite talent, especially when it comes to kicking and athleticism.

And as we saw in the Power’s preliminary final loss to Sydney, Port needs to improve its composure by foot.

But Lukosius now looms as an important piece for a Port Adelaide forward line that needs serious improvement if the Power are to actually get over the preliminary final hump.

While he is not a pack-crashing type of a key forward, something the Power does have a glut of, Lukosius did kick 39 goals when he was in his favoured position in 2023.

And with some doubts over the future of Todd Marshall after his fifth concussion in three years, Lukosius will be a welcome addition at Alberton.

It does mean the Power will be short of a hulking, dominant key forward with Charlie Dixon unlikely to get a contract for 2025.

Ollie Lord only played six times in 2024 and when he was in the SANFL he hardly tore the competition apart.

Esava Ratugolea was swung forward and while he consistently provided a contest, he did little more than that.

Ratugolea is contracted until 2028 and Marshall until 2029 and for different reasons their contracts now become all the more interesting. While he hasn’t lived up to being the No. 2 pick in the 2018 superdraft, losing out on Lukosius is going to be a hard sell for the Crows to the disillusioned fans expecting a big off-season at West Lakes.

Now attention turns to who Cumming will pick with both clubs offering the Giant a four-year deal.

Port could further twist the knife and while Dan Houston has requested a trade, an off-season of Lukosius, Cumming, his teammate Harry Perryman and Collingwood small forward Joe Richards would be a big one for the Power although it is looking more likely that Perryman will go to the Magpies. The Crows now will be looking to get one back.

JACK PORT - LUKOSIUS CHOOSES POWER OVER CROWS

By Jon Ralph

Port Adelaide has won the battle for Suns forward Jack Lukosius, who has chosen to play alongside best mate and Power captain Connor Rozee next year.

The Power will hand Lukosius a six-year deal, which will eclipse the two seasons he had left on a back-ended contract of nearly $1m a year at the Suns.

It’s understood Lukosius was offered a more lucrative deal to join Adelaide.

The Crows made the first big move for the 24-year-old, with coach Matthew Nicks and other key staff meeting Lukosius on the Gold Coast last month.

But his strong relationship with Rozee, whose upcoming wedding Lukosius will be involved, helped Port Adelaide get their man.

“I’ve certainly had a fair few chats (with him) about where we’re at as a football club and what we bring and how we feel like he’d fit in,” Rozee told Channel 9.

“There’s no surprise that we’re obviously good mates and I would have loved to play with him no matter what.

“But I tried to keep my distance a little bit and respect his decision. It had nothing to do with our friendship.

“(It was) more how he felt like he could fit in at Port Adelaide and make us a better football side to hopefully win a premiership.

“Obviously really excited that he made a decision, he told me last night actually. Pretty rapt.”

Gold Coast will want a firstround pick for Lukosius, which the Power do not currently have. So it will add to the likelihood of Dan Houston arriving back in Melbourne, with clubs including Carlton and the Roos offering future first rounders for the All-Australian defender.

Lukosius fell out of favour at the Suns, given he did not fit the style of play that coach Damien Hardwick preferred for his forwards. He was keen to stay, and even take a pay cut, given his close friendships with his teammates but was ultimately wooed by the Power despite Adelaide’s pitch.

clipping0 - 2024-09-25T112216.300.jpg

Last edited:
I kinda wish this dragged out a big longer so Alyx could have made one of his collages of all the facebook post of Crows nuffies posting about how great Lukosius will be for them. Followed by all the posts of about how shit he is once he picked Port.

That Motlop one is an all-timer.

Not liking the talk of having to get the 2 1st round picks for Houston so we can use one for Lukosius. He's not worth a 1st rounder, for all his supposed elite attributes he's been pretty much a complete flop and seems to lack the mindset to be a dominant player. A 2nd rounder at most.
I agree. On huge money and if we’re taking his salary that GC are keen to move out, that surely weakens GC’s position a bit.

I would say that if Soldo goes to the Saints for a future 2nd rounder, we should offer our 2nd rounder + Saints 2nd Rounder for Luko.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Jack Lukosius nominates Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back