No Oppo Supporters Jack Watts - Traded to PA for pick 31, Thanks Jack

Jack Watts?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feel like some of his footy early this season when Gawn went down was better than last year even. Just gave us something.

Unfortunately showed that if he is not 100% fit and on then he is not much chop at the end of the year. Think the trade is unders, but my biggest worry about trading him was that he is well liked and it might get the players offside.
Honestly? Preseason starts and they'll get over it. It's the older crew which liked him, and the only one left really is Max. The fact that Jones came out and smashed him in the media says a lot.

Honestly? Preseason starts and they'll get over it. It's the older crew which liked him, and the only one left really is Max. The fact that Jones came out and smashed him in the media says a lot.

Jones also came out at the B&F and talked glowingly about him, I think the players do love him but they would understand why he is gone.

No-one with a brain actually uses the hard ball thing as a reason though. You get some twit supporters of ours who go berserk because he wouldn't kill himself like Viney would to win the ball, but this is more about setting standards off-field I think. If Watts puts in minimum effort on the track and every few weeks on gameday then we can't turn around and demand elite standards from our kids because we're making two sets of rules for Jack.
We are where we are because a significant portion of our list doesn't go as hard as Viney, Jones or Oliver.

Maybe its a matter of taking the best we could get from Port in order to facilitate a move to the club of his choice (well, second club ... given he didn't originally want to move and all) rather than dick him around? I think it would have been pretty shit to tell him we would like him to consider being traded, get him to spend the past few weeks talking to other clubs and mentally preparing to move interstate and all, then turn around once he has settled on Port and say 'nup mate, we couldn't get enough value so you're staying put'.

Yeh I'm thinking along the same lines. You can't ask a player who is under contract to leave and then play hard ball negotiations with his chosen destination. We really had to accept anything that was half reasonable. Pick 31 does feel like a slap in the ol' face a roo though.

To be paid to leave, surely something has gone on behind the scenes that was pretty ordinary. Surely. Otherwise there was a pretty easy trade I suggested earlier that would surely have been reasonable, or more reasonable than this (Watts plus 36 for 31 and 34). Wonder if any journo will ask if that was ever posed. I won't hold my breath

I absolutely love the fact we will be paying some of his wage too!
But not paying other bits of it. Could this be significant in a kind of prepping space for signing dudes who come OOC in a year?

Other than that I’m just assuming Watts killed the Lindberg baby or something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be paid to leave, surely something has gone on behind the scenes that was pretty ordinary. Surely. Otherwise there was a pretty easy trade I suggested earlier that would surely have been reasonable, or more reasonable than this (Watts plus 36 for 31 and 34). Wonder if any journo will ask if that was ever posed. I won't hold my breath
Its the only way I can rationalise this.

Its the only way I can rationalise this.
The one thing that makes me think it wasn't something dodgy is how his dad came out swinging and all high and mighty. I mean, dads do that, but you wouldn't if Jack had done something really bad you'd think

The gaping hole in our age profile gets worse. It's Lewis 2004, Jones 2005, Jetta and Garlett and 2008, Gawn and Melksham 2009, Hibberd (mature age) and T McDonald 2010, Tyson 2011, and Viney 2012, and then everyone else from our best 22 was drafted 2013 onward. Imagine where we'd be if we hadn't gained Lewis, Melksham, and Hibberd this year. 7 players from an 8 year span. They must really be putting a lot of stock in the 2013-2017 group peaking together under Viney.
But we did get Lewis, Hibberd and Melksham. With everyone fit, the 10 players you mentioned are in the best 22. So half the players on the ground in the top 50% age profile, the rest in the bottom 50% age profile. Good spread.

The players we drafted in those years were never going to cut it. And we should absolutely be putting our stock in the group drafted 2013 onwards. It's likely the best stock of any club taken during that time. Allows us a a good tilt at over a number of years, topping up via trade and free agency as required as the older guts drop off

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

No-one with a brain actually uses the hard ball thing as a reason though. You get some twit supporters of ours who go berserk because he wouldn't kill himself like Viney would to win the ball, but this is more about setting standards off-field I think. If Watts puts in minimum effort on the track and every few weeks on gameday then we can't turn around and demand elite standards from our kids because we're making two sets of rules for Jack.

I want to know what the standards are. Surely now he's gone we can get a run-down on what that actually means. Why did it take 20 rounds to drop him (allowing for four weeks for injury) if he was being outrageous. Still don't understand how he can be so unpopular in pre-season then play Round 1.

Comfortable with the trade (although the pick is a bit dodgy), and it's best for him to get out of his comfort zone but dying to know more.

He was the bloke that made the deals that allowed the club to draft C Oliver only 2 years ago, Hibbert last year went ok as well.
Fair point. Although the Hibberd trade was in unique circumstances (given the player suspensions). A good deal for the club nonetheless.

However, The handling of Watts and the eventual deal has reeked of ineptitude, in my opinion.

I hope we settled for the meh pick to help Watts get to the club he chose. Seems fair enough to me. Obviously a higher pick would be awesome but since Watts was accomodating in seeking a new club, it seems the right thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back