Free Agency Jade Gresham [Joins Essendon as RFA]

Does he stay or does he go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

You wouldnt be looking at him if hes cooked

Hes better than Higgins was at 32 and he went for pick 30

27 + 27 isnt a mile off 13 and you could be better off salary wise aswell if we help
There is no way in any situation Essendon end up with a first round selection out of this.

This is essentially buying draft picka now

Didnt think this was allowed, and if it was allowed, why have clubs been so stupid to not do it for the past 10 years

Maybe because the draft has become comprehensively ****ed as an equalization method due to academies, father sons, salary cap manipulation like Bowes/Brodie.

We are getting two second rounders along with Shiel in that deal.

You are spot on Shiel is worthless, but getting 2 second round picks for Gresham is a win.

Shiel isn't worthless to you if you are trying to win a premiership in the next two years. He was playing better football at the start of this year than when he was 27. He's worthless to us because we don't have the contest ball winners to maximize his skillset and are in in a rebuilding phase.

They don’t have to but do you really want to have a player that’s struggling to get a game as one of your highest paid players

If you can afford to and cant get anyone else yes.

Been on roughly 650k for the past 4 seasons.

At a time when salary's are going up, I'd be surprised if he accepted less.
I think he couldn't sign quick enough if he was offered 650k. 650k at the time made sense to me. I saw him as an up and coming star with runs on the board. Had him in the Saints top 5 or so players. Injuries unfortunately have curtailed his career so i think he's in a tough spot to be making demands salary wise. 650-750 band 2. 550-650 band 3. I think he'll be lucky to see band 3. If the saints arent happy with a mid 2nd for compo and are happy to match and keep then i think he stays. We seem to be the only club having a sniff and he's not going to create a bidding war like McKay did. He's not that sought after.

Shiel isn't worthless to you if you are trying to win a premiership in the next two years. He was playing better football at the start of this year than when he was 27. He's worthless to us because we don't have the contest ball winners to maximize his skillset and are in in a rebuilding phase.
We've made it very clear that we want to concentrate on the draf this year.

Shiel has been a massive disappointment at Essendon. There wouldn't be a club out there willing to give up a good pick for him unless there was something else involved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like your list manager doesn't have a good grasp on things.

Like your host of supporters who continue to think you're getting Band 1 for taking Shiel to relieve Essendon's salary cap.
Just what’s been reported champ

Probably the one who was trying to ensure we reached the minimum 95% cap requirement.

If thats your best argument its evidence of why there shouldnt be a 95 % requirement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Agency Jade Gresham [Joins Essendon as RFA]

Back