Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

You expect to lose Mitchell and add vickery, o'meara and Mitchell and it will be a rebuilding year?

Well we wouldn't be getting rid of our best player if we wanted to be contending. Its clear now with S.Mitchell leaving, that Clarkson sees 2017 as a rebuilding year.

O'Meara won't just slot back into it either. It usually takes a year for a player to completely recover from a normal knee injury.

In all honesty I can't see JOM making his way to Hawks. I think Gold Coast will make an example of him. They will keep postering right up until the deadline & blame Hawks for not getting it done. Their Chairman, Cockman , will beat his chest & tell the AFL world they will not be pushed around.

Best of luck for 2017 GC (you're gunna need it)

Are you serious, your club created this mess by chasing him and now they can't deliver, it's ****ing hilarious. OMaggot and his manager will be furious now and be looking at the Hawks and going what the **** have you done, Young has already stated today that Hawthorn never gave him the impression they have list or contract issues( clearly pointing the finger) He will not want to enter the draft as its far to risky with clubs like North having cash to splash, week 2 will be a blood bath

We were never going to take a fringe player and a late pick, we don't need either, what were the Hawks thinking

O'Meara is worth as much as Treloar...and you are not giving a top 10 pick at all...lets face facts you are wanting him on the cheap.

No, no he's not.

He's worth the same as Treloar if he hadn't played for 2 years before the trade.

And Treloar went for the equivalent of 17 and first round pick expected to be in the teens.

Honestly I'm hoping O'Meara's manager gets fed up with hawthorn and starts shopping him to other clubs towards the end of the trade period.
I am sure we will of been in his ear and in contact with other suitors

Are you serious, your club created this mess by chasing him and now they can't deliver, it's ******* hilarious. OMaggot and his manager will be furious now and be looking at the Hawks and going what the **** have you done, Young has already stated today that Hawthorn never gave him the impression they have list or contract issues( clearly pointing the finger) He will not want to enter the draft as its far to risky with clubs like North having cash to splash, week 2 will be a blood bath

We were never going to take a fringe player and a late pick, we don't need either, what were the Hawks thinking
Probably thought they could do what they wanted and then realised their high horse is further away from reality then they first thought.

Not trying to wind anyone up, genuine question here.

Does anyone think there's still any possibility of jaeger coming to Essendon via PSD? From afar it looks like the Hawks have a bit to work through with Mitchell etc as well.

Or do you think Gold Coast would bluff and take what they could get if they weren't ultimately satisfied by hawthorns trade offers?

He won't go into the PSD.

If the trade falls through, he will go into the National Draft.

If Jaeger goes to PSD then goodbye any credibility GC have left.
Surely it's Hawks credibility in question?

IF it all fails: They've got in the ear of a young player, convinced him to nominate them, and have no way of getting the deal done. Makes them look like amateurs. I've no doubt a deal will get done, but it won't be GC looking bad if it all goes to custard.

Does anyone think there's still any possibility of jaeger coming to Essendon via PSD? From afar it looks like the Hawks have a bit to work through with Mitchell etc as well.

Or do you think Gold Coast would bluff and take what they could get if they weren't ultimately satisfied by hawthorns trade offers?
I dont think Essendon are in a good position to take him. He is a huge injury risk, Etihad is not the most forgiving of turfs, his salary will be huge and we are getting at least one young gun in the draft so why take the risk?

There's a difference between taking a hard stance and being plain stupid. Ignore the lowball bullshit offers of 2nd + Shoenmakers, because the Hawks aren't stupid enough to offer that.

A suggestion like 2017 First Round Selection + Pick 23 + a fringe player isn't exactly the ****ing bottom of the barrel.

Let's assume the worst case scenario for Gold Coast in that Hawthorn win the Premiership. Pick 18 + Pick 23 + fringe (let's say Duryea for hypothetical purposes) gives O'Meara a value of Pick 6 + Duryea. Even if you believe Duryea is worth peanuts (let's say Pick 50) that values O'Meara at pick 4: for a player who hasn't played a game in two years. And walking him to the PSD and losing him for nothing is the alternative?

Let's assume Hawthorn drop out of the 8 and finish 10th on the ladder, receiving Pick 9. If that's the case, the equivalent Gold Coast receives is Pick 2.

Gold Coast can trade this future pick for Hanley without hurting their prospects next year, or keep it and rebuild via drafting next year.

I'm not missing something here am I? In what world is the equivalent of anywhere between Pick 6 to Pick 2 considered unders. Hell, if we decide to pull a Freo Gold Coast could recieve Pick 1 in value. By all means though, play the hard stance card and get the equivalent of no picks.

Creating a club culture requires more than making big statements about sending players to the PSD.
Treating players like people is the key.

Hawthorn are considered to have a good culture. Do players leave? Of course they do, and when that happens Hawthorn respect their wishes and help them get to their destination of choice, even if Hawthorn get unders, as in JP Kennedy. Other players have opportunity to leave but choose to stay, even on less money, because of the club culture.

Last year Dangerfield went to Geelong. The Crows definitely didn't get full value for him, but they accepted reality and negotiated to get the best deal they could under the circumstances. Now Danger still speaks glowingly of the Adelaide footy club and his time there. No bridges burned. Other Crows players will now know that if they want to leave for family / health / opportunity reasons, their club will be realistic about it and make the best of it. I strongly suspect the Crows culture is actually improved because of that whole situation.

Player movement is a reality, and will only increase. Fans will not always like it, but the clubs need to be mature about it. Just as Adelaide and Geelong were last year.

Naturally Gold Coast want to become a destination club. For the good of the competition, I hope they succeed. The first step for them is to accept that players come and go, and when they do you treat them with respect and understanding. By doing so, you send a message to the rest of the playing group that the club will treat them as people, not just as commodities. That creates an environment or culture where people, including players, will feel respected, affirmed and secure. When that happens, they are more likely to stay / work harder / perform better / contribute more to team success. Then other players want to be a part of it, and you become a destination club.

I think he's far less likely to go to anyone other than Hawthorn now that S.Mitchell is apparently leaving. I would imagine if GC/Haw can't agree to a trade then the Luke Ball scenario is enacted where the National Draft (or pre season draft i guess?) is used and the Jaeger contract is structured in such a way that he gets a RIDICULOUS amount of money year 1 and far less years 2-4 as Hawthorn will clearly have another $5-600k available in it's TPP to add to his year 1 contract now. (sadly!)

I would be surprised if many clubs had the flexibility to shuffle player contracts to facilitate such a heavily front ended contract given we're talking about next years salary which is obviously mostly shored up with each club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he's far less likely to go to anyone other than Hawthorn now that S.Mitchell is apparently leaving. I would imagine if GC/Haw can't agree to a trade then the Luke Ball scenario is enacted where the National Draft (or pre season draft i guess?) is used and the Jaeger contract is structured in such a way that he gets a RIDICULOUS amount of money year 1 and far less years 2-4 as Hawthorn will clearly have another $5-600k available in it's TPP to add to his year 1 contract now. (sadly!)

I would be surprised if many clubs had the flexibility to shuffle player contracts to facilitate such a heavily front ended contract given we're talking about next years salary which is obviously mostly shored up with each club.

I think you may be right in that that is our backup plan.

Creating a club culture requires more than making big statements about sending players to the PSD.
Treating players like people is the key.

Hawthorn are considered to have a good culture. Do players leave? Of course they do, and when that happens Hawthorn respect their wishes and help them get to their destination of choice, even if Hawthorn get unders, as in JP Kennedy. Other players have opportunity to leave but choose to stay, even on less money, because of the club culture.

Last year Dangerfield went to Geelong. The Crows definitely didn't get full value for him, but they accepted reality and negotiated to get the best deal they could under the circumstances. Now Danger still speaks glowingly of the Adelaide footy club and his time there. No bridges burned. Other Crows players will now know that if they want to leave for family / health / opportunity reasons, their club will be realistic about it and make the best of it. I strongly suspect the Crows culture is actually improved because of that whole situation.

Player movement is a reality, and will only increase. Fans will not always like it, but the clubs need to be mature about it. Just as Adelaide and Geelong were last year.

Naturally Gold Coast want to become a destination club. For the good of the competition, I hope they succeed. The first step for them is to accept that players come and go, and when they do you treat them with respect and understanding. By doing so, you send a message to the rest of the playing group that the club will treat them as people, not just as commodities. That creates an environment or culture where people, including players, will feel respected, affirmed and secure. When that happens, they are more likely to stay / work harder / perform better / contribute more to team success. Then other players want to be a part of it, and you become a destination club.
It's also about saying we don't want to be short changed on top young talent. We accept bad deals what's to stop teams coming up and asking for Lynch or Wright or any of our other young players. Its drawing a line in the sand that we want to keep our talent or get equivalent value back for them and I agree with it.

I think you may be right in that that is our backup plan.
I really hope we don't have to use that method of course as for me (and i'm biased as i LOVE Mitch) it would leave a slightly bad taste in my mouth in respect of Jaeger/Tom for a little while.

I'm sure i'd get over it if they play the way we hope of course! :)

It's also about saying we don't want to be short changed on top young talent. We accept bad deals what's to stop teams coming up and asking for Lynch or Wright or any of our other young players. Its drawing a line in the sand that we want to keep our talent or get equivalent value back for them and I agree with it.
I do get the sentiment of this, but lets say GC do say "sorry, no deal, go to the draft" and Jaeger doesn't make it to Hawthorn. Do you think that means that next time Lynch or Wright come out of contract teams wont go after them?

I think it's safe to assume teams will be coming after those types of players at EVERY club and it's a matter of doing what Melbourne is doing with Hogan et al. ie keeping them contracted and happy.

I do get the sentiment of this, but lets say GC do say "sorry, no deal, go to the draft" and Jaeger doesn't make it to Hawthorn. Do you think that means that next time Lynch or Wright come out of contract teams wont go after them?

I think it's safe to assume teams will be coming after those types of players at EVERY club and it's a matter of doing what Melbourne is doing with Hogan et al. ie keeping them contracted and happy.
We tried that with O'Meara though, we offered extensions but he rejected them. So we moved onto trying our best to get a trade the we think is equal value.

Surely it's Hawks credibility in question?

IF it all fails: They've got in the ear of a young player, convinced him to nominate them, and have no way of getting the deal done. Makes them look like amateurs. I've no doubt a deal will get done, but it won't be GC looking bad if it all goes to custard.

This is where a fair bit of responsibility lies with the players manager. If half the clowns on BF (myself included) can predict Hawthorns difficulty in satisfying GC with a trade, surely there is onus on the manager to raise with said club "how the **** are you going to pull this off?? I don't see the current assets that you have draft pick wise as satisfying GC"

After all he is supposed to have JoM's best interest at stake here. Taking a bit of initiative with the chasing club surely is not too much to ask for.

This is where a fair bit of responsibility lies with the players manager. If half the clowns on BF (myself included) can predict Hawthorns difficulty in satisfying GC with a trade, surely there is onus on the manager to raise with said club "how the **** are you going to pull this off?? I don't see the current assets that you have draft pick wise as satisfying GC"

After all he is supposed to have JoM's best interest at stake here. Taking a bit of initiative with the chasing club surely is not too much to ask for.
He came out and said "I've always been confident with getting O'Meara to the Hawks. They never indicated they had list/money issues" So its whether Hawthorn will give up what Gold Coast want.

Holy Molly strap in boys..

Just got told Gold Coast and O'meara now looking at dealing with the Bulldogs pick 18 and Hrovat and second rounder next year is what there asking...

Source is good :)

We offered multiple extensions and he didn't accept not our fault Hawthorn now can't offer anything of equal value.

Well your culture is poor, your medical team is rubbish etc. You continue to bring in overpaid, past it mercenaries looking for a retirement fund.

It's not hard to fix, clean out the trouble makers which you've mostly done, delist all the cloggers, get all the top 30 picks you can over the next 2 years and pick the best mids/smalls available and makes sure they are good characters and you will be fine.

Then when you're in the 8 in 2 -3 years with a great young list, players will come to you. Demanding you get players in your current state is only going to get you guys who are just after money.

Just got told Gold Coast and O'meara now looking at dealing with the Bulldogs pick 18 and Hrovat and second rounder next year is what there asking...

Haha that's a worse deal than what we would be offering. What do Gold Coast really think they would get for him if they shopped him around? I don't think too many other clubs would be willing to give up much more

Only stumbling blocks I can see are:
- Doggies need to convince O'Meara to play there(reigning premiers, young list, shouldn't be too hard. Etihad surface may be an issue).
- Asides from the fact that there's a player involved, that appears to be under what the Hawks are likely offering (2017 first rounder, which at worst would be pick 18) + extras

Maybe the Hawks could work a 3-way deal to get Hrovat to GC and O'Meara to Hawthorn?

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back