Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't see how Essendon will use their first pick on a player who will not have played an AFL game for 32 months, be their most expensive recruit, when they can just get someone possibly better and much cheaper and does not have an injury cloud over them.

Essendon recently haven't done a great job at managing their list, they've had a lot of injuries similar to the Suns.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I dare say he will be judged on the merits of his trades over the last few years based on the rating by Clarko and the club, rather than the denizens of BF.

He got us pick 10 which is our best pick in 10 years. We dont get the super advantages of those lucky teams who are rubbish every year and get to stock up on good picks.

I haven't paid much attention to the Hawks fans and their emotions at this stage, hence the question. Cheers.

You did manage to stock up over a couple of strong drafts though, it is why you are where you are. Don't lose sight of that or begrudge those who follow your example.

Not sure how it will pan out, but by Christ it's been a fascinating ride. Tony Cochrane will either be declared a genius or a madman at the end of this.
Imagine if O'Meara nominates for the National Draft and GCS goes bang with pick 8. (Not saying that's the likeliest outcome.)
If Hawks don't wind up with O'Meara, it might cause disquiet amongst the supporter base, no?
If they draft him at 8, the cost is picks 8, 10 & 48. The AFL will not allow the league's worst club to waste all those picks.

Hawthorn - STOP blaming Tony Cochrane. He said even before the trade period started that you need to pay a big price for O'Meara. If you are willing to pay him $800k a year you need to pay adequate compensation for him. You can't get in his ear for 12 months and offer him $800k per year and then say to Gold Coast "Sorry he's too risky, we will only offer pick 10".

Cochrane is absolutely doing the right thing by his club. If it costs him pick 10 to show every other club in the AFL that they need to pay a fair price to poach Suns players then that is a well spent pick 10.

That's RIGHT, it's better for Gold Coast to take NOTHING for O'Meara rather than let Hawthorn screw them and then watch 16 other clubs line up behind Hawthorn to screw them again.

And I repeat, if you want to court a player for 12 months and offer him $800k a year then clearly he is a jet and clearly he is worth more than pick 10 and 44.

Hawthorn have created this mess, Hawthorn have been hard to deal with, Hawthorn are the ones that look bad.

Cochrane is looking after HIS club!

I haven't paid much attention to the Hawks fans and their emotions at this stage, hence the question. Cheers.

You did manage to stock up over a couple of strong drafts though, it is why you are where you are. Don't lose sight of that or begrudge those who follow your example.

We hit the draft fairly heavily last year, and a bunch of those kids played this year. So Clarko and Wright have obviously decided that we dont need to go heavily this year or next. This year was for Mitchell and JOM, with the requirement to go for Vickery because of Roughie. Next year will most likely be Free Agents - with Fyfe and Dusty on the cards.

So as much fun as this year is, next year could see some insane offers being made.

If they draft him at 8, the cost is picks 8, 10 & 48. The AFL will not allow the league's worst club to waste all those picks.

And the restraint of trade court case where GCS will have effectively banned a player from quitting their job.

I am enjoying all the "GCS can swap draft picks so someone else can get JOM instead". This clearly misses the point that GCS have said exactly what they want for him, and if he goes for free then they have failed.

But hey, I could be working instead...

If the Hawks don't get this done, does Graham Wright get the flick? If so, he may be feeling the pinch, self interest could see him working the phones all night to find some currency or a 3rd party.

NO you can’t have him. We already gave you a coach and that’s enough for now. Be good and we might send you some retiring players next year.

Hawthorn - STOP blaming Tony Cochrane. He said even before the trade period started that you need to pay a big price for O'Meara. If you are willing to pay him $800k a year you need to pay adequate compensation for him. You can't get in his ear for 12 months and offer him $800k per year and then say to Gold Coast "Sorry he's too risky, we will only offer pick 10".

Cochrane is absolutely doing the right thing by his club. If it costs him pick 10 to show every other club in the AFL that they need to pay a fair price to poach Suns players then that is a well spent pick 10.

That's RIGHT, it's better for Gold Coast to take NOTHING for O'Meara rather than let Hawthorn screw them and then watch 16 other clubs line up behind Hawthorn to screw them again.

And I repeat, if you want to court a player for 12 months and offer him $800k a year then clearly he is a jet and clearly he is worth more than pick 10 and 44.

Hawthorn have created this mess, Hawthorn have been hard to deal with, Hawthorn are the ones that look bad.

If the club looked after OMeara better maybe he'd want to stay.

This thing could go either way. Anyone who 100% thinks it's going one way or another is kidding themselves.

Look at the last week. One club traded their B&F winner for a 4th round pick. Another club traded a 4 time premiership player for a 3rd rd pick upgrade of 2 spots. And then there was those clowns that are giving Ty Vickery $500k a year!

Yours is the only club in the league stupid enough to do that trade for pick 10.

Making everything 100 times worse for yourselves.

We might not know for a few weeks how effective our trading team has been. If we get JOM in the ND for the material we spent on pick 10, then it is still a decent deal for us. It gave us something decent to offer GC, and it gives us a backplan in the ND if they don't take it. Why GC didn't accept the material we used to get pick 10 themselves is a question for the GC board to ask of Cochrane after the dust has settled.

For those that think we are offering unders for JOM, where are all the other suiters then? We are the best offer on the table right now. GC might be able to get others to field offers if it looks obvious our deal is not going to get done, but if pick 10 was really massive unders, where are all the fair bids?

For those that think it is our responsibility to find a player to go to GC, then why are GC not able to look around for a player who they can get in for pick 10. We can only talk to Hawthorn players (which we've done), they can pick from the entire competition. If GC has put the message out that their club is a punitive one that punishes rather than rewards their players, then that is there problem not ours. It is also their problem , more than it is ours if nothing happens and JOM walks to the ND.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't forget pick 14 you gave us. Seems just about right to me actually ...
the trade suggest was Tippet and 14 for O'Meara, seems like overs to be but you would know better as a swans fan.

Well they can't really. When you abandon free enterprise in favour of a draft system predicated on unreasonable restraints of trade then you are stuck with the outcome. Fail to abide it and the whole deck of cards collapse.

Would be very interesting
Can't forget they have heavily invested in this GC plan and seeing it throw away two top 10 picks for spite would be very worrying, especially considering how they have underachieved.

I'm of the view that 10 and 48 isn't enough, however 10 and a best 22 player (presumably Lyon) is very slight unders but isn't too bad considering all clubs involved are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Hawks gotta give a bit more, and GC must relent slightly- Lyons provides a path that can save face for both clubs. A trade isn't fair unless both sides walk away slightly disappointed.

But he isn't a jet. He is an injury prone player with a cloud over him. The 800k is an enticement to come to the club, without that $$$ O'Meara wouldn't even have the conversation - let alone want to join. So Hawthorn splash they cash, it may be due to enticement, or maybe they can afford it, but O'Meara is a risk. As a player he could go down and not play again (at a greater risk than other players). The same argument that says O'Meara is worth 800k and Hawthorn automatically should give up more than pick 10 - could easily be an argument on the flip side that says O'Meara hasn't played much footy, is injury prone and pick 10 is massive overs. From Hawthorn's perspective GC can either take the deal or lose out on pick 10. It is not only GC that can set a strong precedent here.

The responses from Hawk fans in general in this thread and other trade thread remind me greatly of the arrogance on show from Essendon supporters post 2000 - most premierships ha! we know success ha! only a matter of time before we dominate again ha! Oh........
After most GF wins, some fans of ALL clubs go a bit funny and arrogant. Not all. On here, most times it's just a bit of fun. The 2012 GF output was hilarious especially against Gunston who then went on to star in the next 3. The attacks on the Hawks for a trade matter, not even a GF is the saltiest of the salts- maybe even celtic sea salt. Why the angst over JOM trade- all clubs have done something like this? Seems a bit weird. If you read some of the Hawks supporters comments many said 14 and Breust or Poppy or Shiels and a second. I don't agree with it but many said this. I have a lot of reservations about JOM's durability so not fussed if he doesn't come. We have enough issues with aging and injured players. I would prefer to use pick 10 and then attack free agency next year. But I'm just a Joe Blow supporter and if he comes, I'll support. Hawks management have the runs on the board and we'll fall into line. Do you agree with Cochran's behaviour and comments today as an executive?

None of our players want to go there, so there is nothing more to offer. Whether we pick him up via trade or draft, the cost to us is similar. GC have set themselves up to fall by saying they wanted players.

So nothing is better than something? If that's what you really think that's ridiculous.

If you demand that someone is worth 2 first rounders/first rounder and a player and then accept nothing - you're doing it wrong.

The reality is that JOM will end up a Hawk, both teams will bend and the deal will get done

It's extremely amusing :D watching the reaction of the Hawks supporters in the meantime though

He got us pick 10 which is our best pick in 10 years.

Um you do understand how he got you pick 10 right?

That's like praising someone for buying you a house, and all it cost you was a house worth 1.5 times more than the one they bought you.

Maybe hawthorn will decide he has enough runs on the board, but if Graham Wright is ever going to get fired over a single act in his whole career... It will be what he did on Friday.

That's as close to the stupiest thing a list manager has ever done.

We hit the draft fairly heavily last year, and a bunch of those kids played this year. So Clarko and Wright have obviously decided that we dont need to go heavily this year or next. This year was for Mitchell and JOM, with the requirement to go for Vickery because of Roughie. Next year will most likely be Free Agents - with Fyfe and Dusty on the cards.

So as much fun as this year is, next year could see some insane offers being made.

And the restraint of trade court case where GCS will have effectively banned a player from quitting their job.

I am enjoying all the "GCS can swap draft picks so someone else can get JOM instead". This clearly misses the point that GCS have said exactly what they want for him, and if he goes for free then they have failed.

But hey, I could be working instead...

I love this restraint of trade talk. It won't get that far.

http://nabafldraftnom.com.au/images/AFL Draft Booklet 2016.pdf

"Exceptional and Compelling Circumstances
A player selected by a Club can apply to the Appeal
Board to be released from the Club that has selected
him on the grounds of exceptional and compelling
circumstances which make it harsh and unconscionable
for the player to remain bound to that Club."

My guess is he can then nominate for the PSD.

No need to get personal.

Didn't Lewis request a trade because Hawthorn would only give him one year?
Didn't Mitchell request a trade because Hawthorn told him he wouldn't get an assistant job there?

Sounds like their 'requests' were wholly precipitated by Hawthorn not being particularly interested in them staying there.
The 1 year deals are standard for our over 30's. And it was deemed better for Sam to develop his coaching at another successful system. Sam, Clarko and Wright have explained this multiple times. This thread is about jaeger though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back