Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Given the decisions they have made this past week, do you think they will bothered by some supporter disquiet? Stronger administration than that I would have thought.
There are also plenty of supporters who actually understand the direction the club is taking...we're not all one-eyed morons
I wasn't casting aspersions on the intelligence of the supporter base or making generalizations, think there's some very liberal licence taken in your reply.
Do think it will be interesting to gauge supporter perceptions at the end of the period once the outcome here is known.

Um you do understand how he got you pick 10 right?

That's like praising someone for buying you a house, and all it cost you was a house worth 1.5 times more than the one they bought you.

Maybe hawthorn will decide he has enough runs on the board, but if Graham Wright is ever going to get fired over a single thing in is whole career... It will be what he did on Friday.

That's as close to the stupiest thing a list manager has ever done.

Yeah, clubs never swap late picks for early picks. First time we've ever seen it.

Do tell though, would Clarko have signed off on that swap? Or do you reckon he went and did it on his own?

Does that mean we also need to fire Clarko?

I love this restraint of trade talk. It won't get that far.

http://nabafldraftnom.com.au/images/AFL Draft Booklet 2016.pdf

"Exceptional and Compelling Circumstances
A player selected by a Club can apply to the Appeal
Board to be released from the Club that has selected
him on the grounds of exceptional and compelling
circumstances which make it harsh and unconscionable
for the player to remain bound to that Club."

My guess is he can then nominate for the PSD.

Or at that point Mark Evans has to step in and say "sorry GCS, you'd best use that pick on someone else".

Though being the AFL, they may take 6 or 7 months to make a ruling.

None of our players want to go there, so there is nothing more to offer. Whether we pick him up via trade or draft, the cost to us is similar. GC have set themselves up to fall by saying they wanted players.

Onus is on you to get a player from somewhere.

O'Meara will be thinking "Wow these guys promised they would trade for me and now they won't put their hands in their pocket" "Where is Adrian's number"

Neither Lewis or Mitchell were going anywhere until Clarkson suggested they move on. He then traded them for nothing. Without those little fireside chats both would be playing for you next year. I don't know why any Hawk fan would deny this. Titch, Tyrone and O'Meara were all enticed to the club. The only player initiated move was Hill wanting to go home.
Clarkson merely gave them the option of moving on and didn't force either of the moves.
And yes they were traded for nothing, but they were not worth anything given their age

After most GF wins, some fans of ALL clubs go a bit funny and arrogant. Not all. On here, most times it's just a bit of fun. The 2012 GF output was hilarious especially against Gunston who then went on to star in the next 3. The attacks on the Hawks for a trade matter, not even a GF is the saltiest of the salts- maybe even celtic sea salt. Why the angst over JOM trade- all clubs have done something like this? Seems a bit weird. If you read some of the Hawks supporters comments many said 14 and Breust or Poppy or Shiels and a second. I don't agree with it but many said this. I have a lot of reservations about JOM's durability so not fussed if he doesn't come. We have enough issues with aging and injured players. I would prefer to use pick 10 and then attack free agency next year. But I'm just a Joe Blow supporter and if he comes, I'll support. Hawks management have the runs on the board and we'll fall into line. Do you agree with Cochran's behaviour and comments today as an executive?

Eh what

Certainly an interesting one. With no precedent.

given they allowed the hawks to trade a 1st rd pick & 2x 2nd rd picks for a 1st rd pick, and bent the rules so geelong can offer a future 1st for the 3rd year running (for Tuohy), i dont imagine they'll do anything to intervene with the Jaeger situation.

So nothing is better than something? If that's what you really think that's ridiculous.

If you demand that someone is worth 2 first rounders/first rounder and a player and then accept nothing - you're doing it wrong.

Do you understand the concept of setting a precedent? Making a stand?

Pick 10 is not crucial to them, in fact it's not worth a lot considering the picks they have.

If they accept unders then every club will attack them with unders.

If they set a precedent they will receive much better compensation for years to come.

It's a pretty common, basic concept in negotiation.

You don't see Dodoro get low balled. Why? Because he has set a precedent and clubs know you pay the correct toll or you jog on.

Jog on Hawthorn.

Yeah, clubs never swap late picks for early picks. First time we've ever seen it.

Do tell though, would Clarko have signed off on that swap? Or do you reckon he went and did it on his own?

Does that mean we also need to fire Clarko?

You still think pick 10 for your next years first and pick 23 wasn't a horrible deal for your club?

You're a lost cause my friend.

Not even the most deluded of hawks fans would be with you in that.

After most GF wins, some fans of ALL clubs go a bit funny and arrogant. Not all. On here, most times it's just a bit of fun. The 2012 GF output was hilarious especially against Gunston who then went on to star in the next 3. The attacks on the Hawks for a trade matter, not even a GF is the saltiest of the salts- maybe even celtic sea salt. Why the angst over JOM trade- all clubs have done something like this? Seems a bit weird. If you read some of the Hawks supporters comments many said 14 and Breust or Poppy or Shiels and a second. I don't agree with it but many said this. I have a lot of reservations about JOM's durability so not fussed if he doesn't come. We have enough issues with aging and injured players. I would prefer to use pick 10 and then attack free agency next year. But I'm just a Joe Blow supporter and if he comes, I'll support. Hawks management have the runs on the board and we'll fall into line. Do you agree with Cochran's behaviour and comments today as an executive?
question, how do you attack FA (I'm assuming Fyfe or Martin) without a 1st rounder.
assuming both are worth 2x 1st rounders each.

O'Meara will be thinking "Wow these guys promised they would trade for me and now they won't put their hands in their pocket" "Where is Adrian's number"
The onus is on hawthorn.

Hope Cochrane enjoys telling that to his members:

"We could have had picks 4, 6, 8 and 10 and put some time into trading in some high end talent - but we preferred to lose jaeger for nothing. But go and blame hawthorn!"

Smart clubs see player movement as opportunity. Dumb clubs shut down and point the finger at everyone else.

NO you can’t have him. We already gave you a coach and that’s enough for now. Be good and we might send you some retiring players next year.

Did I say we would want him? Aside from the Beams trade, our drafting and trading has been in good nick recently. Wright has done a great job over time, but he is spending some of his credits.

given they allowed the hawks to trade a 1st rd pick & 2x 2nd rd picks for a 1st rd pick, and bent the rules so geelong can offer a future 1st for the 3rd year running (for Tuohy), i dont imagine they'll do anything to intervene with the Jaeger situation.

That would have to be a 2nd rounder for Touhy, surely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love this restraint of trade talk. It won't get that far.

http://nabafldraftnom.com.au/images/AFL Draft Booklet 2016.pdf

"Exceptional and Compelling Circumstances
A player selected by a Club can apply to the Appeal
Board to be released from the Club that has selected
him on the grounds of exceptional and compelling
circumstances which make it harsh and unconscionable
for the player to remain bound to that Club."

My guess is he can then nominate for the PSD.
Surely living on the Gold Coast would be considered harsh and unconscionable?

Yeah I bet he really wants to get to Essendon now, with their great sport science and supplement regimes his knee might get fixed once and for all

Do you understand the concept of setting a precedent? Making a stand?

Pick 10 is not crucial to them, in fact it's not worth a lot considering the picks they have.

If they accept unders then every club will attack them with unders.

If they set a precedent they will receive much better compensation for years to come.

It's a pretty common, basic concept in negotiation.

You don't see Dodoro get low balled. Why? Because he has set a precedent and clubs know you pay the correct toll or you jog on.

Jog on Hawthorn.
Making a stand = acting on emotion and not working out a best case scenario.

I understand it well - it's just a stupid, stupid approach.

Seriously - list all the examples of maniac club leaders making a stand like this and then skyrocketing into a successful dynasty.

The onus is on hawthorn.

Hope Cochrane enjoys telling that to his members:

"We could have had picks 4, 6, 8 and 10 and put some time into trading in some high end talent - but we preferred to lose jaeger for nothing. But go and blame hawthorn!"

Smart clubs see player movement as opportunity. Dumb clubs shut down and point the finger at everyone else.

Anyone with any experience in negotiation knows Cochrane's strategy is sound. A hit now will guarantee many win's in the future. And the hit (pick 10) is minor.

GCS can pull the trigger early though
4 is a dead pick with Bowes in contention
So are 6 & 8 really.
smart moves by them would be to ship out 4, 6 & 8 for a stronger points position this year and next and a player or 2.

this is without thinking about Jaeger.
then all 10 gives them is a pick that is burned on Bowes anyway.

If they were truly vindictive, and i think Cochrane just might be, he'd ensure those picks land with the clubs keen on Jaeger (essendon & north in particular)
Which club has ever drafted a player who doesn't want to go there? Luke Ball made it to pick 28, Who's using a top 10 pick on a bloke who doesn't want to go there, hasn't payed for 2 years, and they haven't even been able to medically examined him!

Making a stand = acting on emotion and not working out a best case scenario.

I understand it well - it's just a stupid, stupid approach.

Seriously - list all the examples of maniac club leaders making a stand like this and then skyrocketing into a successful dynasty.

Ummmm...GWS.

Anyone with any experience in negotiation knows Cochrane's strategy is sound. A hit now will guarantee many win's in the future. And the hit (pick 10) is minor.
Then show me all the examples of this amazing strategy and how they've worked out for footy clubs.

If it's such an awesome approach why isn't everyone doing it?

Why would we flick the best list manager in the land?

He's been equally important to Clarkson in our 3peat. Runs on the board.
Nope I don't care if we were completely over run in the finals by the Premiers, this concept of trading out the old guys for Jaeger and Tom is wrong and we should just fade into the sunset.;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back