Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't Lewis and Mitchell both on 1 year deals?

If so what exactly what was gained for free agency next year?

Technically, only Mitchell was on a one-year deal.

Lewis was heading into the final year of a 3 year deal.

And as someone else has pointed out, it allows us room to move cash around into this years worth of contracts, to be able to have more spend next year.

Key players either out of contract or we will be looking to renew:
- McEvoy
- Bruest
- Birchall
- Duryea

As well as O'Meara's contract which obviously hadn't been agreed at the time

Technically, only Mitchell was on a one-year deal.

Mitchell apparently was on a two year deal. The second year was conditional on meeting some easy to meet triggers. So that's $600k out of 2017 and 2018 each. We can bank that unused cap space in 2017 and use that for 2018 recruitment under recent change to the salary cap rules.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good question.
Sidenote: I know I've come across as anti hawthorn in this thread, but that's only because I've been pro GC not getting told what is/isn't acceptable for them by other clubs.

The fact that it's hawthorn (or GC) is incidental for me.
Genuinely couldn't care which teams were involved.

So in all this I've always thought and said the the hawks trading for jaeger is right for them.
He's the perfect high risk high reward match for you guys, given your recent success.

Just like garlett was- he was too risky for anyone else to take on but you guys can swing for the fences for a while and its fine, even if it doesn't work.

So you guys going after jaeger i think is/was a good idea.

I also think the saints doing a deal for a shiel/Kelly, just like Collingwood did for treloar (including the 2 firsts with a 2nd back price) is a great idea.

For me though your deal for jaeger has gone from great idea to bad idea because of the price paid.

However it happened, you guys have ended up paying what you would have for a fully fit jaeger omeara.

The risk/reward for you guys was already right at the limits.
The premium price makes it a risk ontop of a risk.

Now anything less than jaeger getting back to his best and beyond it will make it worth it.

I'm glad my saints wont need to consider anywhere near that level of risk for the same outlay
I think people are overstating the cost because of the sheer volume of draft picks. But was it really such a high price? Who gives a f**k about picks 54, 72, etc? Not me. Obviously not Hawthorn. If you accept that Mitchell and Lewis were going to be phased out anyway, then the cost of getting O'Meara boils down to :
  • Our first pick in next year's draft - let's say pick 12 or 13.
  • Plus selections 23 and 36 in this year's draft.
The likelihood is that at least one player taken with one of these picks won't make it; one will be an average player and another will be a pretty good player (you'd hope, but there is no guarantee…)

Is that really such a high price to pay at the trade table for a player of O'Meara's ability? It's not as though we've parted with two top 10 draft picks, or given up a 1st round draft pick and a player. You might say we have lost a player, but Brad Hill was going home anyway and pick 23 was the best we were going to get for him.

Sure, I get what you're saying about the risk we're taking with O'Meara, but the Hawks have checked his knee out. They will have weighed that up. No f**kin way we would've got him for the price we did if he hadn't done his knee & missed the last 2 years. He would've commanded a Chris Judd-type price. (Josh Kennedy, ex-pick 4, plus selections 3 and 20)

I think the Big Footy experts and AFL.com draft experts place way too much importance on draft picks. 18yo, 19yo kids are not much good. They need a lot of work. Very few Bontempellis around who are starring in their 3rd year. Most take 5 or 6 years. Some take 7 or 8 years to come good. Some never will.

People also place far too much importance on "winning trades". This seems to be a really big deal for the fans of success-starved clubs - but for Hawthorn, they don't really give a f**k if everyone thinks they've lost trade week. All they care about is getting deals done and recruiting good players that will help us challenge for another premiership.

I reckon in 5-6 years time, we will all look back on this trade period and agree that Hawthorn knocked it out of the park. Vickery will give us reasonable service and Mitchell and O'Meara will both be excellent midfielders for Hawthorn. Nobody at Hawthorn will care about one or two mid range draft picks that we "overpaid" for O'Meara.

It's easy for the fans of lower rebuilding clubs to say that Hawthorn has overspent on O'Meara, but we don't have the luxury of early picks in the draft. We needed to grease the wheels to get him across and if that means we missed out on drafting a couple of other players, then whoopty-doo. We'll just have to pluck a few gems in the rookie draft.

Last edited:
I reckon in 5-6 years time, we will all look back on this trade period and agree that Hawthorn knocked it out of the park. Vickery will give us reasonable service and Mitchell and O'Meara will both be excellent midfielders for Hawthorn. Nobody at Hawthorn will care about one or two mid range draft picks that we "overpaid" for O'Meara.

Vickery for close to 500,000 a year - you would want more than just reasonable service - he will likely play a few good games here and there but his consistency has always been a problem

O'Meara hasn't played a game for two years and has chronic knee tendonitis - not something you just all of a sudden get over and start playing blinding football - especially when his fragile patella keeps getting pounded into the ground

Mitchell may also struggle without the Sydney midfield fortress surrounding him especially now S Mitchell and Lewis have gone - no doubt now playing as the Hawks no 1 midfielder he will be targeted and tagged hard

I reckon in 5 or 6 years time most supporters will look back at these trades and I think how did Hawthorn get it so wrong

Vickery for close to 500,000 a year - you would want more than just reasonable service - he will likely play a few good games here and there but his consistency has always been a problem

O'Meara hasn't played a game for two years and has chronic knee tendonitis - not something you just all of a sudden get over and start playing blinding football - especially when his fragile patella keeps getting pounded into the ground

Mitchell may also struggle without the Sydney midfield fortress surrounding him especially now S Mitchell and Lewis have gone - no doubt now playing as the Hawks no 1 midfielder he will be targeted and tagged hard

I reckon in 5 or 6 years time most supporters will look back at these trades and I think how did Hawthorn get it so wrong
I absolutely agree with you on Vickery, but I don't know about the other's. I reckon Jaeger will come back - history says that it's possible to make combacks after a lot of knee problems. As for Mitchell, he is a superstar regardless of the team he is in. We forget that hes still very young.

No Vickery and our forward line struggles, again. % would have be less than this year- I think enough people pointed to Roughy's absence and its impact. Who else was available for the same or lesser price for that role.
The age of our midfield is regularly is something that gets pointed out continuously- Hawks did something about it, albeit with some risk but any draft pick is a risk.
Actually, Mitchell and Kennedy were the only midfielders who shone in the GF for the Swans. There was no fortress there that day of any type. That may change when their younger talent matures in the next couple of years. We'll see but he looks a quality player.
It may seem that the Hawks had other choices but in real terms, not really. Now to await what happens when Hodge and Burgoyne retire.

Drafting and trading are funny things.

Most people said exactly the same thing about Burgoyne that you are saying about O'Meara. We paid WAY overs according to most, including a large % of fans. He was Past it, shot knee, will hardly play a game for the Hawks. These weren't one off comments, they were common themes about that trade. Time has told a very different story.

Tom Mitchell is a star and still very young, he will be taught to deal with a tag. He took the role because he wants the responsibility and that is an important mindset.

Vickery, as most know, is on a loaded contract. Once the 3rd and possibly 4th year come in he will have earned an average of probably 350 - 380k a year and that is right for his worth. This year, and possibly next, he is genuinely worth more because of the immediate need we have.

Trading out high draft picks for proven players, that are still young, is sound. Think back to 05/06, Hawthorn used Pick 6 on Mitch Thorpe and Beau Dowler, and they both failed miserably. Picks are speculative. More speculative than O'Meara.

I think the Big Footy experts and AFL.com draft experts place way too much importance on draft picks. 18yo, 19yo kids are not much good. They need a lot of work. Very few Bontempellis around who are starring in their 3rd year. Most take 5 or 6 years. Some take 7 or 8 years to come good. Some never will.

People also place far too much importance on "winning trades". This seems to be a really big deal for the fans of success-starved clubs - but for Hawthorn, they don't really give a f**k if everyone thinks they've lost trade week. All they care about is getting deals done and recruiting good players that will help us challenge for another premiership.

I think this a good point. We have historically paid overs for so many players: Burgoyne (pick 9 and 16 for an injured 26yo), Hale (first round for a player playing in the VFL), McEvoy (two first round picks) and Lake (2nd round pick for an injured player 12 months off free agency). I think you would say that at the time the other club 'won' all those trades. But through those years Hawthorn won three premierships with those four guys being critical.

Lets cut through the white noise....

No one (apart from Hawk supporters) wishes to see Hawthorn have continued success.

Fear leads to anger (3peaters + free kick hawthorn). Anger leads to hate (JOM). Hate leads to suffering (Jade).

I hated Hawthorn long before it's threepeat, or the JOM trade.

The fact that you can't get it through your heads that I think your list looks pathetic, not scary is slightly concerning.

And we are accused of chugging the koolaid.....

You make no sense good sir, scurry away... no, just don't want to waste too much mental capacity going back forwards in a game stupidity with you. It is boring and grates on my brain. Away with you.

So you admit, your comment was utter idiocy, and without any actual basis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back