Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Except that Hawthorn didn't give up Mitchell, Hill or Lewis for O'Meara.
To get Omeara and 88, that's what you had to give up.

Draft picks obtained from the trades of Mitchell, Lewis and Hill combined to get the picks to Gold Coast. Along with a future first and second rounder.

Some desperate idiot knocks on your door one day and offers you a brand new car that may or may not last you 10 years for free.

Only 6 out of 150 of these new cars have lasted 10 years.

Do you care?

No you take the keys and shake your head at the desperate idiot...
as he walks off to pay someone on the gold coast a premium price for a ferrarri that's spent the last 2 years at the mechanics.

Well if I asked you if you wanted swap those free 10 random cars that 90% of will be lemons for 2 almost new Ferraris, would you do it ?

Can I ask you something? If GWS's kelly wants to come to you next year and GWS play hard ball like GC and the only way to get him is with a deal like the one we did with you, would you be happy for your club to do it or would you be pissed off?

Good question.
Sidenote: I know I've come across as anti hawthorn in this thread, but that's only because I've been pro GC not getting told what is/isn't acceptable for them by other clubs.

The fact that it's hawthorn (or GC) is incidental for me.
Genuinely couldn't care which teams were involved.

So in all this I've always thought and said the the hawks trading for jaeger is right for them.
He's the perfect high risk high reward match for you guys, given your recent success.

Just like garlett was- he was too risky for anyone else to take on but you guys can swing for the fences for a while and its fine, even if it doesn't work.

So you guys going after jaeger i think is/was a good idea.

I also think the saints doing a deal for a shiel/Kelly, just like Collingwood did for treloar (including the 2 firsts with a 2nd back price) is a great idea.

For me though your deal for jaeger has gone from great idea to bad idea because of the price paid.

However it happened, you guys have ended up paying what you would have for a fully fit jaeger omeara.

The risk/reward for you guys was already right at the limits.
The premium price makes it a risk ontop of a risk.

Now anything less than jaeger getting back to his best and beyond it will make it worth it.

I'm glad my saints wont need to consider anywhere near that level of risk for the same outlay

Yeah but after that was written they went and signed hanley witts lyons etc. Things change pretty quick in trade week.
They were always looking for a first pick and a player or 2 firsts.

They got a first and 2 2nds which yeah its not quite 2 firsts, but not far off

But they did not get two 2nds for him.
They only got pick 10 and Hawks 2nd rounder of 2017, which given how Cochrane carried on was odd, even taking into account Gold Coast getting some depth players and Hanley in other deals.
Looking like pick 10 this year and roughly around pick 35 next year.
It is not a massive improvement on the pick 10 and 48 that Cochrane was pissed off about to start with.
Cochrane misread how clubs were not wiling to give up much considering the injury history of O'Meara.

Enlighten me.

Mitchell and Lewis were basically delisted. They were not traded for value. Clarko wanted to give them a golden handshake for their years of service. I honestly don't agree with this. We could have got a second rounder for Lewis on the free market and a 4th rounder at least for Mitchell.

Its not correct to say that Mitchell and Lewis were traded for JOM.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But they did not get two 2nds for him.
They only got pick 10 and Hawks 2nd rounder of 2017, which given how Cochrane carried on was odd, even taking into account Gold Coast getting some depth players and Hanley in other deals.
Looking like pick 10 this year and roughly around pick 35 next year.
It is not a massive improvement on the pick 10 and 48 that Cochrane was pissed off about to start with.
Cochrane misread how clubs were not wiling to give up much considering the injury history of O'Meara.
In the end logic took over. He realised O'Meara was gone - so should get best for the club - with 9 minutes to go Pick 10 to Suns + Hawthorns 2017 2nd round pick goes to the Suns.
Ensures 4 top 10 draft picks for Suns even before matching any pick for Academy player Brad Scheer
As a result Hawthorn left with first pick 88 this 2016 draft - with no first or second round pick next year (Suns have already stockpiled 3x 2017 2nd round picks )
Lost Mitchell , Lewis...
Tell me who wins this one down the track.....?
PS - have noted O'Meara not right to go for early pre-season - welcome to our world..!

Last edited:
In the end logic took over. He realised O'Meara was gone - so should get best for the club - with 9 minutes to go Pick 10 to Suns + Hawthorns 2017 2nd round pick goes to the Suns.
Ensures 4 top 10 draft picks for Suns even before matching any pick for Academy player Brad Scheer
As a result Hawthorn left with pick first 88 this 2016 draft - with no first or second round pick next year (Suns have already stockpiled 3x 2017 2nd round picks )
Lost Mitchell , Lewis...

We will only know once O'Meara gets on the park. If he turns into the jet he was going to, Hawks have got a good deal. If he breaks down again they are royally screwed for a number of years.
Essendon were the ones waiting to pounce. If Eseendon got him in PSD no risk involved for them as paid nothing in essence.
SOS came to the rescue and ensured Hawks paid something for him and Dons did not get a free kick.
SOS screwed Bombers over and assisted Hawks get their man.:p

On the flip side, Hawks fans refusing to accept even the possibility their trade period wasn't perfect or that they won't be contending in a year or two. Time will tell.

It was 10 minutes away from disaster.. saying that it was only a pass from me. Our strategy could also fail... there are plenty of hawk supporters who would agree. Lastly, I don't think we'll be seriously contending for a bit - however the one thing we have going for us is Clarko.. he is pretty good at this.

We will only know once O'Meara gets on the park. If he turns into the jet he was going to, Hawks have got a good deal. If he breaks down again they are royally screwed for a number of years.
Essendon were the ones waiting to pounce. If Eseendon got him in PSD no risk involved for them as paid nothing in essence.
SOS came to the rescue and ensured Hawks paid something for him and Dons did not get a free kick.
SOS screwed Bombers over and assisted Hawks get their man.:p
Disagree you guys went to SOS in desperation and being the nice guy he is he helped you out.
Many up here wanted O'Meara to go to the draft - didn't care less.
But football logic and people being paid to do a job ensured that was never going to be the case.
A deal was always going to get done - but best it be maximum advantage to the seller - you might hate him -but Cochrane ensured that !

Disagree you guys went to SOS in desperation and being the nice guy he is he helped you out.
Many up here wanted O'Meara to go to the draft - didn't care less.
But football logic and people being paid to do a job ensured that was never going to be the case.
A deal was always going to get done - but best it be maximum advantage to the seller - you might hate him -but Cochrane ensured that !

Cochrane is an idiot. Do not hate him. He is actually entertaining but still an idiot. Reality is it was Wright, Ashcroft and SOS working out how to finish off these deals in the end. Cochrane had nothing to do with it. Just grand standing in press.
By the way, I am not a Hawks supporter.
I was just always following the trade with great interest all along as O'Meara if he ever overcomes this injury will be a serious jet. Just found it odd, Cochrane being a big mouth when he was not doing the dealing himself.

Jordan Lewis wasn't shopped around.

He was told he had 12 months left of a contract that wouldn't be renewed, and that he should look elsewhere for his own benefit. So he rang Viney.
this logic makes beyond 0 sense to be.

for example jom might not come one, smith could go hodge and burger retires and lewis wins the bnf easily, and the clubs saying after all of that they still wouldn't bring him back. dont believe it

As a result Hawthorn left with first pick 88 this 2016 draft - with no first or second round pick next year (Suns have already stockpiled 3x 2017 2nd round picks )
Lost Mitchell , Lewis...
PS - have noted O'Meara not right to go for early pre-season - welcome to our world..!

Gold Coast got a worse deal than they could have, though.
I think they got a good deal; a number one draft pick whose value has not improved one bit due to injury and they got a first and second rounder for him. I know GC were saying they wanted two first round picks but that was an ambit claim. Why would he be worth more than paid for initially when he has proven nothing at all; his potential remains exactly the same as the day he was drafted.

I think they got a good deal; a number one draft pick whose value has not improved one bit due to injury and they got a first and second rounder for him.

Gold Coast got pick 10 and Hawthorn's 2nd round pick for 2017.
If Hawthorn are 6th in 2017 and 4 compensation picks are given out for free agents again then that 2nd round pick will be about pick 35 next year.

It is better than pick 10 and 48 but not a massive improvement on first offer Coachrane jumped up and down about like it was a disgrace.

It is better than him going into the pre-season draft to Essendon for nothing.

I think they got a good deal; a number one draft pick whose value has not improved one bit due to injury and they got a first and second rounder for him. I know GC were saying they wanted two first round picks but that was an ambit claim. Why would he be worth more than paid for initially when he has proven nothing at all; his potential remains exactly the same as the day he was drafted.

Errr, what?

O'Meara played every game in his first two years. Won the Rising Star and finished top 5 in the B&F twice. Hawthorn weren't into him because he was a #1 (mini draft) pick, they were into him because they've seen him play at AFL level. If he wanted to move to Perth and not Melbourne we'd have been into him too. The injury risk is there, but if he's worth offering a long term deal to then clearly they thought they had that risk mitigated.

Gold Coast got pick 10 and a 2017 second round pick that will be 30+. That pick 10 cost Hawthorn their 2017 first round pick which will probably be 12 or lower, pick 23, pick 36 and pick 68. Given Gold Coast's draft position this year with two top 10 picks and the likelihood of a third they'd have been better off just taking what Hawthorn sent to St Kilda. They'd also have had a few more days to to further trades, too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back