Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast need a reality check I'd they think a bloke who hasn't played for two years is getting them two top 10 picks or equivalent. To his credit Rocket nearly choked when on live radio when he named his price.

JOM may potentially be a gun but if he can't get on the park or has a Cooney like career crippled by injury he is worth SFA.

Hope the Dogs steer well clear it's not like we need any more injuries.

Buyer beware.

Their hard lined stance that they took is just chest beating.

When has a player ever been traded to a club he didn't nominate?

Never happened, never will..

They'd be crazy to let him go to the ND.

Fact is he hasnt played for 2 years, from the little inside info i have picked up his knees are completely cooked and will be a constant issue throughout his career (hasn't stopped Riewoldt)

He's value has dropped from what Suns paid, how much it's dropped is the million dollar question.

People need to start reading between the lines a little better, and filtering out the sensationalist bullshit in the media.

Gold Coast want fair compensation, and they've made it clear that they'll have high expectations of what is given in return. That's fine.

O'Meara is not "being difficult", as he's not even nominated a club. He's chosen to leave the club and start afresh at a club that he desires. Again, that's not being difficult, it's not anything new either.

I'm sure he will nominate a club in due time and the trade will get done without all the threats of a PSD selection, because logic tells me this is not a move that only became known yesterday....whoever he intends to land at has been working on this, and how it will eventuate, for months.

Their hard lined stance that they took is just chest beating.

When has a player ever been traded to a club he didn't nominate?

Never happened, never will..

They'd be crazy to let him go to the ND.

Fact is he hasnt played for 2 years, from the little inside info i have picked up his knees are completely cooked and will be a constant issue throughout his career (hasn't stopped Riewoldt)

He's value has dropped from what Suns paid, how much it's dropped is the million dollar question.
If this is 'inside info' I'd stop relying on this source.
His injury was major, and very uncommon in a sporting context. He may have some ongoing problems for a period of time, but to suggest that his knees (it is only one for a start) are cooked is inaccurate. There is a bit of unknown about the injury still due to it's rarity, granted, but it is not a degenerative condition in the same mould as Cooney or even Riewoldt. If they can get it right (which is the question mark), there is nothing to say it won't be completely fine for the remainder of his career, causing him no ongoing issues. That's IF they can get it right.
It's more akin to an ACL recovery (some players have complications, some don't, some linger, some don't) than it is to a cartilage/meniscus/bone damage (Cooney) issue that has ongoing or degenerative impact for the remainder of a player's career (and indeed life).

His value is still very difficult to gauge as a result, but I suspect he will still return some quality assets.

On players being traded to a team that they do not nominate, it hasn't happened because it actually can't happen under AFL rules.

Lets be honest - Are GC going to want more draft picks for JOM? - they already have multiple 1st Rd and 2nd RD in 2016 draft not to mention what they will receive for Prestia

I think the deal may need to be a best 18 player (Someone who is named on ground each week) under 26 50+ Games Experience & a 2017 1st Rounder GCS

Which clubs are really in the best position to give GCS what they want

Eg: If Hawthorn are the club the JOM wants to go to then GCS could enquire about Bruest + 2017 1st rounder which will be 10-18 range.

Would Hawthorn do that deal?

At this stage he is happy to go to 9 of the Victorian clubs. He has ruled out Essendon as McKenna is there and he is not a fan.

Suspect he has some preferred clubs but as Essendon has the number one pick in both drafts he will not want to risk going to them so is keeping an open mind and will go to a club who puts forward a deal GDC will accept.

In reality there are not many clubs who can deal for him IMO as they are already committed elsewhere (Richmond with Prestia) or have no coin to spend (Carlton, Pies) and clubs like St Kilda and Melbourne would be loath to off load young guns given they are in build mode and team harmony is important.

Only clubs I can see being in position to deal without giving up too much are, North (what would they offer), Dogs (they have an abundance of Mids so could trade a couple to GC who are short mids if they see O'Meara as un upgrade) and Hawks as they will get something good for Hill that they can then build a deal around but they are apparently already dealing for Mitchell.

Geelong are the wild card, have shown they will deal players out and need another quality mid but what can they offer that would get a gun like O'Meara, they like the Pies have no first rounder to work with.

If this is 'inside info' I'd stop relying on this source.
His injury was major, and very uncommon in a sporting context. He may have some ongoing problems for a period of time, but to suggest that his knees (it is only one for a start) are cooked is inaccurate. There is a bit of unknown about the injury still due to it's rarity, granted, but it is not a degenerative condition in the same mould as Cooney or even Riewoldt. If they can get it right (which is the question mark), there is nothing to say it won't be completely fine for the remainder of his career, causing him no ongoing issues. That's IF they can get it right.
It's more akin to an ACL recovery (some players have complications, some don't, some linger, some don't) than it is to a cartilage/meniscus/bone damage (Cooney) issue that has ongoing or degenerative impact for the remainder of a player's career (and indeed life).

His value is still very difficult to gauge as a result, but I suspect he will still return some quality assets.

On players being traded to a team that they do not nominate, it hasn't happened because it actually can't happen under AFL rules.

Was the patella rupture due to Tendonitis though which is the usual cause? Because that is a degenerative condition. It can cause the tendon to die and then severely weaken it.

Is it known what his recent surgery was for?

Already stated he does not want to go to the Bombers.
Explains why GC was willing to go so hard in their press release if true.

If it was my club, I'd be hoping a first rounder alone would get it done. Knee issues etc. However, I would love a rival club say Hawthorn to overpay and for it to turn out to be a disaster. If I was GC, I'd ask for Hawthorns first next year, as they will struggle to make the eight, and the GC might get a pick inside the top ten, they should ask for that and then some.

My bets are that Collingwood will wave the same wand they waved to Treloar, Adams, Crisp, Howe, Cox, Aish etc etc and he will request a trade to them. With Swannny retiring that will open up $600,000+ in the cap. If not, i'd say like always its only a matter of time for someone with a bit of talent to request a trade there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My bets are that Collingwood will wave the same wand they waved to Treloar, Adams, Crisp, Howe, Cox, Aish etc etc and he will request a trade to them. With Swannny retiring that will open up $600,000+ in the cap. If not, i'd say like always its only a matter of time for someone with a bit of talent to request a trade there.
Almost all of those players chose to be at Collingwood for less then they could have gotten elsewhere. We do have room in the cap but not the draft picks. We need picks for Brown and Daicos this year and will make a play for a KPF to partner with Moore at the end of 2017.

In trading, to get quality you have to give quality. If JOM nominates the Hawks, they will put an fair deal in front of GC.

If you look at history GCS will lose out if he nominates a club... The nominate club will gain JOM and will only have to give up 1 player and probably a pick... The nominated club holds the power in these situations.. Look at the Dangerfield trade for example... There is no way GCS will get a premium player and a pick for JOM.. I know they want a god player, as in top midfielder, but won't happen in my opinion....

Eg: If Hawthorn are the club the JOM wants to go to then GCS could enquire about Bruest + 2017 1st rounder which will be 10-18 range.

I don't imagine they would. And they wouldn't have to.

This is where the rubber hits the road. The Suns can puff out their chests and insist that they will dictate the terms of this trade. But they won't. JOM will nominate a club and that club will then figure out whether it suits them to trade an established player or whether the deal will revolve around draft picks.

Explains why GC was willing to go so hard in their press release if true.
That statement read like: "Look at us – now we're wearing big boy pants."

Hine loves him and wanted to trade out a gun to get the rights to him as a pre listed 17 year old. But, we really have no currency, it would be a case of robbing peter to pay paul. We have no first round to work with, and very few quality players and none we could really trade.

Lets be honest - Are GC going to want more draft picks for JOM? - they already have multiple 1st Rd and 2nd RD in 2016 draft not to mention what they will receive for Prestia

I think the deal may need to be a best 18 player (Someone who is named on ground each week) under 26 50+ Games Experience & a 2017 1st Rounder GCS

Which clubs are really in the best position to give GCS what they want

Respectfully, I think Breust alone is worth more than JOM as it stands atm

If Jaeger was at full rat power and raring to go then his elite potential probably equals Breust's already proven consitent elite output for someone not that much older in football terms.

It's been mentioned ad nauseum though that his knee is still just one big unknown and the reality might be that his worth has dropped.

I'm biased towards the Hawks but Breust for JOM + 3rd round might be more of an equivalent in the current climate.

O'Marea can nominate a club but Gold Coast can trade him to whomever they like.

Unless the rules have recently changed, a player has to agree to a trade. Hence why players nominate clubs and invariably this team is the only one involved in serious discussions.

He will nominate a club, Gold Coast will make a few statements to appease supporters etc, then will accept a good player (won't be a top liner given the circumstances) and probably a draft pick/swap of picks.

Charlie Dixon and Carlisle trades are examples where the old clubs asked for the moon and settled for half a moon. Both clubs held the line for a while and got more from than originally offered. More than Port and Saints wanted to pay.

Will be same again for a player that a club really really wants and will offer a good/big contract to. Club and contract already well advanced.

The size of the new contract a good proxy for player value at the moment the contract is signed, since money talks. If club offering good $, will have to give something decent back. Regardless of prior history.

First the new club will offer something halfway decent, old club will tell em' they are dreaming. Only variable is how long it takes to get a deal that each club can live with.

For Dixon and Carlisle it took a while b/c the old clubs insisted on more. And eventually got more.

New contract for Jaeger will be in the same range as Charlie and Carlisle so expect a trade in the same ballpark.
I think for both the final value was in the range of mid-1st rounder + mid-2nd rounder. The better the 1st rounder, the better the pick that is packaged with the player.

Port gave up pick 10 and two 2nd rounders but got pick 19 back.
Saints gave up pick 5 and 24 but got pick 14 back.

If there is something in that range again, expect the Suns will look furious but take it and move on.

Most important thing for the Suns will be to get new club to pay more than they want. GWS did the same with Treloar last year. Had to get a little blood from the Pies stone to set a precedent for future player trades since they (and the Suns and Lions) will keep losing young players.

Get more than the new club really wants to pay.

Two things:
Collingwood flat out don't have the trade currency available to satisfy GC in a trade for JOM.
And Swan retiring, combined with Cloke either moving clubs or staying on a heavily reduced salary frees up approximately $900k-$1.2m :)

Almost all of those players chose to be at Collingwood for less then they could have gotten elsewhere. We do have room in the cap but not the draft picks. We need picks for Brown and Daicos this year and will make a play for a KPF to partner with Moore at the end of 2017.
That makes a lot of sense it's just only issue is theres not many KPFs going around. I would just think if Omera talks to 7 + clubs and if Collingwood do choose to be one of them he seems like a bloke that would want to play for a club like the pies and the pies seem to always find a way for a good trade. That's just my opinion.

That makes a lot of sense it's just only issue is theres not many KPFs going around. I would just think if Omera talks to 7 + clubs and if Collingwood do choose to be one of them he seems like a bloke that would want to play for a club like the pies and the pies seem to always find a way for a good trade. That's just my opinion.

I agree with this, Pies have been very active in recent trade period, but this year there will be players going out, with only fringies coming in. It's in the clubs plan to hase gold next year, with a KPP in mind.

Respectfully, I think Breust alone is worth more than JOM as it stands atm

If Jaeger was at full rat power and raring to go then his elite potential probably equals Breust's already proven consitent elite output for someone not that much older in football terms.

It's been mentioned ad nauseum though that his knee is still just one big unknown and the reality might be that his worth has dropped.

I'm biased towards the Hawks but Breust for JOM + 3rd round might be more of an equivalent in the current climate.

Rubbish. Breust is good in a good side, in a poor side he would struggle.

JOM was on track to be a on top 4 mid and you want to offer a half forward flanker. Get real.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back