Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

The issue here is these kids have nominated Hawthorn, so their current clubs are over a barrel really, and will likely get screwed over.

That is how clubs like Hawthorn and Geelong have been successful. They get in the ear of CONTRACTED players months out (and even years out if O'Meara example is to be believed), who then nominate them. Their current club then has two options:
- accept unders at the trade table
- let the player walk via the PSD.

It is bullshit! Players who aren't a free agent should have no say whatsoever in where they end up, and that way clubs like Gold Coast can trade with the highest bidder.

Apparently Touhy and Deledio approached us....we didn't seem interested in being a major player this trade period, apart from offloading some of our fringe types.

In all honesty I can't see JOM making his way to Hawks. I think Gold Coast will make an example of him. They will keep postering right up until the deadline & blame Hawks for not getting it done. Their Chairman, Cockman , will beat his chest & tell the AFL world they will not be pushed around.

Best of luck for 2017 GC (you're gunna need it)

In all honesty I can't see JOM making his way to Hawks. I think Gold Coast will make an example of him. They will keep postering right up until the deadline & blame Hawks for not getting it done. Their Chairman, Cockman , will beat his chest & tell the AFL world they will not be pushed around.

Good tells the AFL and other clubs its stupid the Queensland teams are glorified reserve teams for Victorian teams to pluck when they want. I get Hawthorn are under the salary cap and all that stuff but the state of it now is that some clubs are drafting players and having basically 3-4 year rentals before they go to another club. It's fair by the rules but it gets bland with the same teams getting all the talent and competing for the top spots.

Poor bugger misses that shot in the QF and now being treated like he is clinton young

Smith has been one of the Premier wingman over the last 5 seasons. With Hawthorn losing Hill, Smith's importance to the Hawks team now is greater then ever before and I highly doubt he will be part of the deal.

Last edited:

It will get done.

Oh I'm sorry, do you not know where Lloyd's nickname "the velvet sledgehammer" comes from.
Haha seriously mate, I still remember Dermie's hit on Van Der Haar in '89 at Waverley (I was there) or him running in with a knee in the '85 GF, again on Van Der Haar.

Probably the player who whinged the most after Lloyd's hit on Sewell was the biggest thug in the game (when his opponent wasn't looking), Campbell Brown.

Let's not get soft just because the AFL thinks the game is better without it. The game isn't better without it.

In fact, if I wasn't ingrained in the sport I'd think it was pretty tame, monotonous and boring without the physicality.

Ok here we go, this is how three blockbuster deals can get done at onece

GC send JOM to Hawks
Hawks send pick 23 (Mayne compo pick traded for Hill) to Carlton
Hawks send future first round pick to Brisbane
Hawks send Will Langford to Brisbane
Brisbane sends Hanley to GC
Blues send Gibbs to Adelaide
Adelaide sends Lyons to GC
Adelaide sends pick 13 to Blues

GC: IN Hanley and Lyons. OUT JOM
Hawks: IN JOM. OUT Future 1st round pick, Hill and Langford
Brisbane: IN Future 1st round pick, Langford. OUT Hanley
Blues: IN Pick 23 and 13. OUT Bryce Gibbs
Adelaide: IN Bryce Gibbs. OUT Lyons and pick 13

GC gets their 2 experienced players and everyone his happy! Also it allows Hawks to use pick 14 on Mitchel

The talk from Gold Coast suggests that Gold Coast won't trade O'Meara without getting a quality player in return.

This is how trades should work in future. If you take you have to give something back in return.
Previously, trading from a rich club (Hawthorn) to a not-so rich club (eg Gold Coast) worked with Gold Coast getting a whole lot of scraps of rubbish draft picks. Now teams want to get players from Hawthorn's best 22.
And Hawthorn in response say this player is off limits, this player is too, this player, this player...

Let's hope Gold Coast don't waiver...eat into their top 22 players.

Suns football boss Marcus Ashcroft said the ball was in Hawthorn's court.

“We’re not going to go into the individual names of those players, but there would be anywhere between six to eight players discussed,” Ashcroft said.

“We’re letting them come to us with what they think they can give and we’ll make an assessment on that over the next few days.

If Gold Coast buckle and go back to the rubbish draft picks option then we know for sure there is something wrong with drafting/trading. They should get nothing less than a player ranked in Hawthorn's top 22 plus draft picks.

Last edited:

GC gets their 2 experienced players and everyone his happy! Also it allows Hawks to use pick 14 on Mitchel

You seriously believe Gibbs is worth just Lyons and pick 13.
So a late 1st round pick and a bottom 10 player in Adelaide's list.

Good luck with that one.
Carlton have already said they don't want Lyons. They want someone - ready made and in Adelaide's top 10 players basically.

GC send JOM to Hawks
Hawks send pick 23 (Mayne compo pick traded for Hill) to Carlton
Hawks send future first round pick to Brisbane
Hawks send Will Langford to Brisbane
Brisbane sends Hanley to GC
Blues send Gibbs to Adelaide
Adelaide sends Lyons to GC
Adelaide sends pick 13 to Blues

Pretty good

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good luck with that one.
Carlton have already said they don't want Lyons. They want someone - ready made and in Adelaide's top 10 players basically.

But Carlton don't get Lyons. The way that this trade will work is that Carlton get pick 23 and 13 for Gibbs. Which I think is a pretty fair deal and will help Carlton hold on to pick 5 if they want to bring in all the GWS players. Gold Coats will be getting Llyons.

Good luck with that one.
learn to read.

The talk from Gold Coast suggests that Gold Coast won't trade O'Meara without getting a quality player in return.

This is how trades should work in future. If you take you have to give something back in return.
Previously, trading from a rich club (Hawthorn) to a not-so rich club (eg Gold Coast) worked with Gold Coast getting a whole lot of scraps of rubbish draft picks. Now teams want to get players from Hawthorn's best 22.
And Hawthorn in response say this player is off limits, this player is too, this player, this player...

Let's hope Gold Coast don't waiver...eat into their top 22 players.

Suns football boss Marcus Ashcroft said the ball was in Hawthorn's court.

“We’re not going to go into the individual names of those players, but there would be anywhere between six to eight players discussed,” Ashcroft said.

“We’re letting them come to us with what they think they can give and we’ll make an assessment on that over the next few days.

If Gold Coast buckle and go back to the rubbish draft picks option then we know for sure there is something wrong with drafting/trading. They should get nothing less than a player ranked in Hawthorn's top 22 plus draft picks.
You getting paid for your work yet harmsey ? :$

Good tells the AFL and other clubs its stupid the Queensland teams are glorified reserve teams for Victorian teams to pluck when they want. I get Hawthorn are under the salary cap and all that stuff but the state of it now is that some clubs are drafting players and having basically 3-4 year rentals before they go to another club. It's fair by the rules but it gets bland with the same teams getting all the talent and competing for the top spots.

Fix your culture and give your players an incentive to stay and perhaps you'll become more than a transit club. The destination clubs have nothing to do with why the northern clubs are a rabble.

At what point if any do you think the AFL would step in and demand the Suns take unders?
Just can't see them letting a club ran by them letting JOM go for nothing

At what point if any do you think the AFL would step in and demand the Suns take unders?
Just can't see them letting a club ran by them letting JOM go for nothing
Then what's to stop Hawthorn or Geelong coming to Gold Coast next year asking for Peter Wright and planning on giving up next to nothing in return?

Then what's to stop Hawthorn or Geelong coming to Gold Coast next year asking for Peter Wright and planning on giving up next to nothing in return?

What was there to stop GC being given extra salary cap room to raid the other clubs when they first came in? Run your club well and give players a reason to want to stay and they will generally stay. Look at the Bulldogs, they got raided and lost Ward, Griffen, Cooney, Higgins, Lake, Cross, etc. They've pulled their socks up and made the club an attractive prospect for not only re-signing players, but also signing new players. GC need to find a way to make themselves a more attractive prospect for players.

You know what stops that? Good management of GCS.

We havent seen it yet. You lot are still stuck in the "throw all the money at GAJ, and nothing else matters" mode.

Sign up your required players for better contracts. You could have shown faith in JOM last year, while he was injured, by offering him a 1 year extension. Then this year with him looking like returning you could have given him another extension.

What was there to stop GC being given extra salary cap room to raid the other clubs when they first came in? Run your club well and give players a reason to want to stay and they will generally stay. Look at the Bulldogs, they got raided and lost Ward, Griffen, Cooney, Higgins, Lake, Cross, etc. They've pulled their socks up and made the club an attractive prospect for not only re-signing players, but also signing new players. GC need to find a way to make themselves a more attractive prospect for players.

We do sign good players, Malceski at the time he signed was viewed as a top player, rosa was better than average too. Problem is the team trading for a player has all the power. They can basically say here is what we offer we aren't budging and if you don't get the deal done the player is leaving in PSD anyway. Tell me how that is in any way comparable to getting a few cap exceptions to create a new team from scratch. Plus we never raided any other clubs, we mostly took players that weren't top players at their club apart from GAJ.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back