Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Jaeger will get to Hawks no doubt about it people, I've got no bloody clue as to how tbh but it will happen. Sam Mitchell leaving and possibly Jordan Lewis has nothing to do with a 'cap squeeze' or 'cap pressure' I guarantee it, if anything, it is highly likely we are preparing for something even bigger for this time next year in terms of a free agent

Jaeger will get to Hawks no doubt about it people, I've got no bloody clue as to how tbh but it will happen. Sam Mitchell leaving and possibly Jordan Lewis has nothing to do with a 'cap squeeze' or 'cap pressure' I guarantee it, if anything, it is highly likely we are preparing for something even bigger for this time next year in terms of a free agent

Why would that be the case if Mitchell and Lewis had only a year left, if they were saving up for a big fish this time next year what difference does it make if Lewis and S Mitchell leave now or next year.

It's the squeeze in your cap mate, you've got Vickery on big $, O'meara if he goes on big big $ and then Tom Mitchell who would be on 450-500K!

The latest news has a three way deal with Brisbane apparently wanting outside run and class to replace Hanley who wants out. My guess would be Hartung and pick 35 to Brisbane, Hanley to GC, and Hawks 2017 first rounder as the other top pick the GC are asking for. Fagan could have had this plan hatched last week at the Hawks HQ for all we know.

Why would that be the case if Mitchell and Lewis had only a year left, if they were saving up for a big fish this time next year what difference does it make if Lewis and S Mitchell leave now or next year.

It's the squeeze in your cap mate, you've got Vickery on big $, O'meara if he goes on big big $ and then Tom Mitchell who would be on 450-500K!

My take is that Lewis would want to keep playing for another 3 years and Sam could easily play another 2. I guess we will have to wait and see how the rest of this period plays out!

There is an article on the afl website that completely contradicts your post.

There is an article on the afl website that completely contradicts your post.

I'm not gonna pretend I have any inside info, but I find it very hard to believe (and also quite concerning if true) that the hawks have all of a sudden gone 'oh sh#t, how are we gonna fit in these blokes we have been committed to for half the year'

It may very well be the case, but seems quite out of character from the club

I'm not gonna pretend I have any inside info, but I find it very hard to believe (and also quite concerning if true) that the hawks have all of a sudden gone 'oh sh#t, how are we gonna fit in these blokes we have been committed to for half the year'

It may very well be the case, but seems quite out of character from the club

You don't think they budgeted for losing a player or 2 (a bruest or similar) to get all 3 of vickery, Mitchell and Omeara?

And now that every bruest like player has said they won't go to GC.... Now the hawks have cap problem they didn't see coming.

That and the fact that they maybe were hoping to get jaeger for a bit less than 700k and vickery for less than 500k....
Sounds completely plausible to me.

It's not necessarily a knock on hawks management of their cap- just that it's a very dynamic, constantly changing environment.
Which means you can't accurately plan too far ahead.
Especially when you're right on that 100% limit.

GC really playing hardball here. Like a pokemon that refuses to go in the ball.

GC must be really underwhelmed by the players offered up for trade. Those worthwhile don't want to be traded. Shoenmakers? Really Hawthorn?

And GC can get the trade done for Hanley without Hawthorn. Plenty of picks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn went in too cocky IMO. Talked the talk, but can't deliver at the moment.

A deal will likely get done, but they're selling themselves in the process.

Hope GC do the deal for Hanley without involving Hawthorn. Really not necessary.

You don't think they budgeted for losing a player or 2 (a bruest or similar) to get all 3 of vickery, Mitchell and Omeara?

And now that every bruest like player has said they won't go to GC.... Now the hawks have cap problem they didn't see coming.

That and the fact that they maybe were hoping to get jaeger for a bit less than 700k and vickery for less than 500k....
Sounds completely plausible to me.

It's not necessarily a knock on hawks management of their cap- just that it's a very dynamic, constantly changing environment.
Which means you can't accurately plan too far ahead.
Especially when you're right on that 100% limit.

Yeah could very well be the case, I'm no cap or list management guru!

From all reports though Bruest wouldn't be on what Mitch and Lewis are on (again I have no idea what all of these guys make), so I'm of the opinion that the potential moves of Mitchell and Lewis are not entirely about cap space.

You're spot on though it is a very dynamic environment these days, makes for interesting viewing that's for sure

I'm of the opinion that the potential moves of Mitchell and Lewis are not entirely about cap space.

I think onfield is a consideration too, I don't think you can play both Mitchell's and Lewis in the one midfield.

Not a lot of pace there

I think onfield is a consideration too, I don't think you can play both Mitchell's and Lewis in the one midfield.

Not a lot of pace there
Hasn't seemed to have been a problem in recent years. Not sure why it would be now all of a sudden. Doubt this has much to do with it.
They did finish 1 and 2 in the B&F, though how Lewis finished second has me stuffed. Had a pretty average year in my assessment.

Hasn't seemed to have been a problem in recent years. Not sure why it would be now all of a sudden. Doubt this has much to do with it.
They did finish 1 and 2 in the B&F, though how Lewis finished second has me stuffed. Had a pretty average year in my assessment.

I'm talking about adding another slow player in Tom Mitchell to a midfield which has already lost one of your quicker players in Hill - I think it's naive to think it's not a consideration

Yep, GC can (and eventually will if it drags on) trade for any non hawks players like Hanley they are interested in... Completely separately to anything to do with jaeger.

Fagan wants a couple of Hawthorn fringe players in Hartung and Langford. So in order to get the best deal for them they'll be keen to include Hanley, GC and O'Meara in the deal.

Lewis - Seems to me now he has thought about going if he could get his head into coming to the Suns it would get the JOM deal with next years first rounder, I think he would be sensational for us for two years, who knows he might like the beach, its not like he doesnt have enough Premierships now pump up the super fund and help our younger guys

I'm talking about adding another slow player in Tom Mitchell to a midfield which has already lost one of your quicker players in Hill - I think it's naive to think it's not a consideration
Short term thinking. Adding Tom Mitchell isn't about next year, it's about the next 8-10. How he fits with Lewis and S.Mitchell is irrelevant . How he fits with the next generation is all that matters.

Yeah could very well be the case, I'm no cap or list management guru!

From all reports though Bruest wouldn't be on what Mitch and Lewis are on (again I have no idea what all of these guys make), so I'm of the opinion that the potential moves of Mitchell and Lewis are not entirely about cap space.

You're spot on though it is a very dynamic environment these days, makes for interesting viewing that's for sure

By all reports Lewis has been the one instigating a potential move, not hawthorn , so he wouldn't be part of some hypothetical grander hawthorn restructure.

Because things like this (Lewis waking up one day and deciding he wants out maybe) happen often to all clubs, you can't plan absolutely everything.

It seems that hawks fans seem unwilling to accept that their club aren't super dooper special and player management often involves a level of making it up as you go along.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back