Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Short term thinking. Adding Tom Mitchell isn't about next year, it's about the next 8-10. How he fits with Lewis and S.Mitchell is irrelevant . How he fits with the next generation is all that matters.

I'm not criticising the recruitment of T Mitchell, I'm commenting that onfield considerations would be a factor in the club looking to move on S Mitchell and Lewis.

Pretty reasonable assessment, I would've thought

Why would that be the case if Mitchell and Lewis had only a year left, if they were saving up for a big fish this time next year what difference does it make if Lewis and S Mitchell leave now or next year.

The only reason I can see is if they want to offer a massive front-ended contract to JOM to secure him via the draft, that way cap space saved from Mitchell and Lewis is still available for a player to be picked up after next season when the front-end has already been paid during that year, and space frees up to pay a player in 2018 who is recruited at the end of 2017.

The only reason I can see is if they want to offer a massive front-ended contract to JOM to secure him via the draft, that way cap space saved from Mitchell and Lewis is still available for a player to be picked up after next season when the front-end has already been paid during that year, and space frees up to pay a player in 2018 who is recruited at the end of 2017.

Not sure about Essendon but Brisbane, and Fremantle has a lot of salary cap space.

By all reports Lewis has been the one instigating a potential move, not hawthorn , so he wouldn't be part of some hypothetical grander hawthorn restructure.

Because things like this (Lewis waking up one day and deciding he wants out maybe) happen often to all clubs, you can't plan absolutely everything.

It seems that hawks fans seem unwilling to accept that their club aren't super dooper special and player management often involves a level of making it up as you go along.

No you cant plan for everything and for all I know they are up sh#t creek and are making it all up on the fly.

In saying that, if Lewis has instigated the move, wouldn't this give more credence to the fact that the Hawks had factored in his salary for at least next year and don't NEED to move him on purely for salary cap purposes?

Not sure about Essendon but Brisbane, and Fremantle has a lot of salary cap space.

I'm sure they do, and he is a WA boy, but his girlfriend is from Melbourne not QLD or WA. Potentially putting a 1.2 million price on his head might discourage his non-preferred suitors. Do they really want to match such a price, and force him to a state he doesn't want to go to, and have him spending his next contract pining over his absent girlfriend? Probably just a stick to prod GC into action, but I'm concerned their chairman is a Kennett type - big ego and zero knowledge about football and may actually not be bluffing with his recent rants. Hopefully their actual list management people are a bit more professional , and understand the terrain better than he does.

I'm sure they do, and he is a WA boy, but his girlfriend is from Melbourne not QLD or WA. Potentially putting a 1.2 million price on his head might discourage his non-preferred suitors. Do they really want to match such a price, and force him to a state he doesn't want to go to, and have him spending his next contract pining over his absent girlfriend? Probably just a stick to prod GC into action, but I'm concerned their chairman is a Kennett type - big ego and zero knowledge about football and may actually not be bluffing with his recent rants. Hopefully their actual list management people are a bit more professional , and understand the terrain better than he does.

If we have the salary cap space, sure. If it happens (really unlikely imo) the Hawks would be back next year to get a deal done anyway.

Would lol if they trade out 1 & 2 in their B&F and DONT get JOM.
Could be worse.

We could be trying to get rid of a front running finger twirling player who is on more than 600 Grand a year and not one single club is interested in him, even though that club has been shopping him around for a month.

In saying that, if Lewis has instigated the move, wouldn't this give more credence to the fact that the Hawks had factored in his salary for at least next year and don't NEED to move him on purely for salary cap purposes?

Yes absolutely. That's why the hawks AREN'T going to move Lewis on.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-13/jordan-lewis-management-approaches-melbourne-over-possible-trade

"Despite their initial surprise, the Demons are understood to have considered the prospect of recruiting Lewis, who has one season to run on his contract, before the shock news broke on Wednesday that Sam Mitchell may join West Coast.

This is believed to have changed the landscape, with the Hawks less receptive to the prospect of Lewis departing."

You said:
"so I'm of the opinion that the potential moves of Mitchell and Lewis are not entirely about cap space."

I agree Lewis isnt (because the hawks didn't instigate it), but mitchell definitely is all about making cap space.

And lack of cap space is an issue that has only very recently come to a head for the hawks.

And lack of cap space is an issue that has only very recently come to a head for the hawks.
Give us a break dude we are in crisis its been a whole 12 months since or last Premiership, and before that it was a whole 12 months and before that it was a whole 12 months.

We can't all be spending 50 years planning for a Premiership like some clubs I know, so we sometimes make decisions on the run.

Why would that be the case if Mitchell and Lewis had only a year left, if they were saving up for a big fish this time next year what difference does it make if Lewis and S Mitchell leave now or next year.

It's the squeeze in your cap mate, you've got Vickery on big $, O'meara if he goes on big big $ and then Tom Mitchell who would be on 450-500K!

Because it means we can front load contracts this year to spend next year.

It's like people don't think before they post

Because it means we can front load contracts this year to spend next year.

It's like people don't think before they post

You cant honestly say you have done something as extreme as trading out reigning BnF winner, favourite son sam mitchell... Who you just resigned on a new contract, for nothing.

Just so you can frontload a few bucks of your salary cap in 2017.

That is completely insane.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You cant honestly say you have done something as extreme as trading out reigning BnF winner, favourite son sam mitchell... Who you just resigned on a new contract, for nothing.

Club has barely put a foot wrong in the time Clarkson has been at the club. We've moved on Croad, Hay and Thompson in that time, and none of those proved to be the wrong move.

Obviously none of them are of the calibre of Mitchell, and the also generated more obvious currency in draft picks. However, the player movement landscape has changed, and I think Hawthorn has enough credits in the bank with regards to recruitment to be trusted to be making the right calls.

I'll back the club in here.

Club has barely put a foot wrong in the time Clarkson has been at the club. We've moved on Croad, Hay and Thompson in that time, and none of those proved to be the wrong move.

Obviously none of them are of the calibre of Mitchell, and the also generated more obvious currency in draft picks. However, the player movement landscape has changed, and I think Hawthorn has enough credits in the bank with regards to recruitment to be trusted to be making the right calls.

Yep.
Clearly making a very deliberate, pragmatic decision to go backwards in the short term, in order to be back contending before the core of Rioli, Gunstan, Frawley, Breust, Shiels, Smith etc are over the hill. If they are going to make this decision, I would prefer them to move Lewis as well.
I think they have earned the right to make big calls, and earned the trust of their supporters to back what they are doing

Not if our target/s has already agreed to come play in 2018.

I'm not saying that moving Mitchell on was the wrong thing to do.

Quite the opposite, if it were the saints with 4 flags in the bank and it was riewoldt who was in Mitchells shoes- I'd say it's a great call.
Everyone wins.

But don't kid yourself about why it's happened:

It's only happening to get omeara, vickery and tom mitchell to fit in your salary cap in 2017.

If it didn't happen, one of those three wouldn't be in the mighty poos and wees without losing a player like bruest, smith etc.

Not if our target/s has already agreed to come play in 2018.

images

That's a stretch.

I guess you think the moon landing was faked too.

I'm not saying that moving Mitchell on was the wrong thing to do.

Quite the opposite, if it were the saints with 4 flags in the bank and it was riewoldt who was in Mitchells shoes- I'd say it's a great call.
Everyone wins.

But don't kid yourself about why it's happened:

It's only happening to get omeara, vickery and tom mitchell to fit in your salary cap in 2017.

If it didn't happen, one of those three wouldn't be in the mighty poos and wees without losing a player like bruest, smith etc.

And if that's the case, so be it.

The football world has been saying for the last 2-3 years we'd need to stagger moving on the older players in the group.

At some stage, it has to happen. I'm sure we'll see more moved on next year

See that's a typical Handbagger way to think.

Pick 88 is not to be sneezed at because it would snare Motlop easily.

Then the Box Hill Hawks get a depth player and the Handbagger off load a bloke they have been shopping around for months only for every other club to tell them GTFO.

Its a Win Win.

PS, I think its disgusting some of the things people have been saying about the finger twirler on the Handbagger board. :thumbsdown:
dude, stop chugging the Kool Aid. In your eyes it seems Hawthorn can do no wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back