Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread makes it seem as though Hawks trade all of their players and all of their picks to get JOM.

That's because there is a lot of miscalculation on the true costs involved. If we can swap the pick 10 we got from Saints for a straight swap for JOM (or a 3 way deal where a third party gets pick 10 and moves their player on to GC, which personally I think is more likely) then given what we gave up to saints for the ability to get a first round pick this year instead of next yeah, then we are effectively trading something that in point terms is worth pick 3 for JOM.

This is a lot for sure, and risky given that GC will not be getting pick 3 but pick 10 and the extra 7 pick difference is a tax we've paid saints. It is however not all our picks and players. Only 1 player went out that is relevant to this (Hill), and if the deal goes ahead , we get 3 players in (JOM, TOM, Vickery). Mitchell leaving is not really relevant to these deals. It seems to be some kind of crazy voss maneuver that has no relevance to it, but I can't make proper sense of what they've done with Mitchell, so who knows. The club swears we had the cap space without Mitchell going, and the numbers seem to suggest that is true unless we are also giving JOM crazy voss money.

I know his best is good, but not sure it is that good.

If he hits his best again while with us, and does it for a few years, it is probably worth the equivalent of pick 3. He went in the mini-draft for under age players at pick 1, rather than the ND, so it is hard to know what he would have gone for in the full draft, but his numbers in his first 2 years probably warranted #1 pick given they were as good or better than players like Fyfe/Dangerfield at the same age. The thing is , his injury SHOULD discount him a fair bit, but it seems this isn't going to happen. If we have to give up a player as well as pick 10 then in terms of what we've paid to get the trading material it is heading towards the equivalent of a #1 pick. I guess you could argue he did show a lot in his first 2 years, so in some ways he is worth more than a #1 pick if he returns to that form, given some #1 picks are just very good instead of great, but a hell of a risk in any case.

What cards do GC have to stand firm?

They don't have much leverage.

GC know what they're getting and it ain't a quality hawthorn player. They are however, satisfied with the trade.

Word is, O'Meara has organized removalists and is heading to his home in Richmond.

GC know what they're getting and it ain't a quality hawthorn player. They are however, satisfied with the trade.

Word is, O'Meara has organized removalists and is heading to his home in Richmond.
After Cochrane's statements they won't take anything that is unambiguously unders but will no doubt accept something adequate even if they don't truly think it is fair.

I posted on our board that I think you guys were too good. You courted a bunch of players thinking you might get one or two but got three which left you in a desperate situation to find salary cap and draft picks (because no club will renege on a player they have courted - and rightly so).

After Cochrane's statements they won't take anything that is unambiguously unders but will no doubt accept something adequate even if they don't truly think it is fair.

I posted on our board that I think you guys were too good. You courted a bunch of players thinking you might get one or two but got three which left you in a desperate situation to find salary cap and draft picks (because no club will renege on a player they have courted - and rightly so).

I'm thinking they had the cap space for TOM, JOM and Vickery already. Might be something else brewing (planned or unplanned?). Gut feeling says it might have something to do with Brisbane.

Equivalent of pick 22 isn't really heaps. That will not even get you a Jed Anderson. Although apparently it will get you 4 Sam Mitchells, but given he wouldn't get a game at any club but Hawthorn - and even they don't want him - that probably isn't that much.

We got the equivalent of pick 22 for absolutely free.
For doing and losing absolutely nothing.
That's nothing to sneeze at.

Especially if we package that absolutely free pick 22 and the pick 36 we got up with a fringe player and trade back into the first round this year.

You're right, pick 22 would not even get us jed anderson.

That's why we are a good chance to add it and 36 to something useless to us like Eli Templeton to back in the first round this year.

Net result highly possible:
Out- pick 10, Eli Templeton
In: 2 first round picks, 1 a top 10 if/when hawks miss finals.

Nice trade period without a jed anderson in sight.

Last edited:
I'm thinking they had the cap space for TOM, JOM and Vickery already. Might be something else brewing (planned or unplanned?). Gut feeling says it might have something to do with Brisbane.

Involving Whitecross and Hartung.

Be a shame to see Whitecross go. He looked great at the end of the year.

We got the equivalent of pick 22 for absolutely free.
For doing and losing absolutely nothing.
That's nothing to sneeze at.

Especially if we package that absolutely free pick 22 and the pick 36 we got up with a fringe player and trade back into the first round this year.

You're right, pick 22 would not even get us jed anderson.

That's why we are a good chance to add it and 36 to something useless to us like Eli Templeton to back in the first round this year.

Net result highly possible:
Out- pick 10, Eli Templeton
In: 2 first round picks, 1 a top 10 if/when hawks miss finals.

Nice trade period without a jed anderson in sight.

St Kilda made out like Pablo on the deal, traded pick 10 for pick 10ish next year plus 2 decent picks. Ahmet the Bandito!

St Kilda made out like Pablo on the deal, traded pick 10 for pick 10ish next year plus 2 decent picks. Ahmet the Bandito!
Tell us about this pick 10 next year, can you predict the future?

I am predicting it will be a pick in the 20s, seems it's not that hard to make predictions.

If pick 10 gets us jaeger omeara then we've both done well out of the trade. Would be a clear number 1 pick In this years draft so I suppose uve gotta look at the bigger picture

Oh yes, my bad, apologies. I guess some people can say it's to do with a salary squeeze, some say it has to do with giving younger players games which is what I believe, some even say it is relative to freeing up even more cap space to make another move next year. Only the club itself knows the truth
Yep I agree. FWIW I agree with your original post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If pick 10 gets us jaeger omeara then we've both done well out of the trade. Would be a clear number 1 pick In this years draft so I suppose uve gotta look at the bigger picture
Shhhh don't you know if the Hawks snare JOM he will be a broken down kid with no knees.

If the Hawks miss out of course then he will be the superstar player that we missed out on.

It's how BF works.

Not with his knees he wouldn't.

He'd be top 10, probably top 6, but players with that kind of issue slide a bit away from the top 3.

Tell us about this pick 10 next year, can you predict the future?

I am predicting it will be a pick in the 20s, seems it's not that hard to make predictions.

Won a lot of close games this year, losing your best 2 players from last year for no signficant return, not a huge stretch to say you probably won't finish higher than you did this year.

Won a lot of close games this year, losing your best 2 players from last year for no signficant return, not a huge stretch to say you probably won't finish higher than you did this year.
You could say that about a lot of teams but again it's only a prediction.

I mean I predict the side you support to slide because two blokes can't carry a team without help.

I could predict that with Tom Mitchell on board and a fit JOM and with Roughie getting the all clear we could give it a hell of a shake.

Again it's only a prediction.

Hence why it's called a future pick.

You could say that about a lot of teams but again it's only a prediction.

I mean I predict the side you support to slide because two blokes can't carry a team without help.

I could predict that with Tom Mitchell on board and a fit JOM and with Roughie getting the all clear we could give it a hell of a shake.

Again it's only a prediction though.

Sure, you might win the flag or you might finish bottom 4. But I don't think predicting a finish slightly lower than this year is a stretch.

But hey, by all means attack my team and assume I am blindly hoping you slide.

Sure, you might win the flag or you might finish bottom 4. But I don't think predicting a finish slightly lower than this year is a stretch.

But hey, by all means attack my team and assume I am blindly hoping you slide.
In what way did I attack the side you follow?

I predicted they will slide because two players can't carry a whole team nothing outlandish in that prediction and if you think that is an attack on your team, then grow a pair.

I will say it one more time for you though, it's only a prediction.

It's like you are saying you are allowed to predict the Hawks season but how dare I try to predict the team you support and their season.

Surely you understand that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back