Speculation Jake Stringer [trigger for 1 year with Essendon, exploring options]

Remove this Banner Ad

Hilarious yet I bet you the second a club possibly takes him the conversation will turn into "What a get! Could be anything!" and he'll be talked about in the equation of said club's premiership chances. Nothing surer. Bookmark it.

Kicked 42 in a struggling side. While there is doubts on whether that warrants an extension on top of what's already there, particlarly for us as a developing side, that's still a pretty good effort and an asset to a team looking to contend. Proper offers only.

How many times was he targeted?

Goals is one thing, but if he is kicking a goal every 4 or 5 times he is targeted that isnt a great return.

I cant imagine there will be proper offers. And Essendon absolutely should keep him to his 1 year.

If there is 2 teams who I just cannot imagine would be interested, its Sydney and the Cats. He is absolutely not the type of player they are interested in.

The reason there isnt much interest is because he has been a good but not great player for the last 9 seasons. He has made a career out of being a 1-way running forward who goes into the middle a couple of times a game.

The same was said about Geelong with Stengle

Buddy was also anything but a dream off field but your statement id say holds firmer with Sydney than Geelong

If im any of the sides contending for flags in the next 2 years im seeing a real opportunity with very low risk and high reward

Hawks showed with Ginnivan they dont mind what happens off the field as long as it doesnt impede on field performance
Ah there's a difference between what Ginnivan does and what Stringer does.

Jack at worst is naive, Jake at best is dangerously stupid.

Buddy was also anything but a dream off field but your statement id say holds firmer with Sydney than Geelong

If im any of the sides contending for flags in the next 2 years im seeing a real opportunity with very low risk and high reward

We don't need a medium forward.

I see low cost, but not low risk. While he wouldn't demand a huge salary, and presumably wouldn't cost that much in a trade, the lack of professionalism in how he prepares himself, the off-field issues that led to him leaving the Dogs in the first place (including his alleged treatment of Tom Boyd), and now the underworld links make him a real risk to a club.

There's a saying about one rotten apple in a cart and it largely holds true at footy clubs.

It's also work bearing in mind that Stringer has now been pushed out of two clubs despite being the leading goalkicker at one, and one goal off the leading goalkicker at the other. That doesn't happen for no reason, clubs usually fall over themselves to retain their best forwards.

Someone made me agree fervently with a Collingwood supporter. Kill me
revenge of the sith GIF by Star Wars

Hawks showed with Ginnivan they dont mind what happens off the field as long as it doesnt impede on field performance
I daresay going to the pub for a schnitty and a LLB is a fair bit different to hanging out with a convicted killer and bringing him into your club rooms, cheating on the mother of your kids with a high school student, that godawful tattoo, etc..

I daresay going to the pub for a schnitty and a LLB is a fair bit different to hanging out with a convicted killer and bringing him into your club rooms, cheating on the mother of your kids with a high school student, that godawful tattoo, etc..
Getting a new contract and coming back to the footy club looking like you blew the lot on pies

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought the same. But won a ton of footy up the ground, then working hard back to goal.
Yes in 2022 he was a bit sluggish but Bobby Hill and Mitchell/Adams took his fwd pocket spot.

He worked on his endurance in the 2s and made sub, then took Lipinskis spot in the midfield for the Grand Final so he's addressed that.

Has skinny arms and a weird little pot, not unlike Mick McGuane, who had excellent stamina.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Jake Stringer [trigger for 1 year with Essendon, exploring options]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back