Speculation Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you mixing Durham and Duursma up? He is far from good and Stringer is much better - just lazy.

Mason Wood signed a 3 year contract today and he is nearly 31.
I suppose those who don't understand football would think that.

Is that a rumour? Unless I missed it, no media reported any interest from Suns so far. Surely, Twomey would be all over it and Midweek Tackle too.

Same source who told me about Merrett, Leverde and Stringer.

He has been offered 3 years, started talks with GC in June, doesn't want to leave Melbourne.

McRae had lunch with Stringer and manager early last week.

Last edited:
Liam Jones as well.

It's all moot - for Stringer's faults, 40+ goal per year players just aren't available so someone will ask the question with a 2 year offer.

agreed

i' d do 2 years if it came to it but not a day longer.

Stringer plays best when incentivised to do so.

If Essendon are offering him 1 x 400k they are basically booting him out.

Thats less than the average wage for a player that just came equal 12th in the 2024 coleman medal.

I got told today he now has 6 clubs chasing him. All offering 2 years.

Never change Essendon, never change.

Should just walk into Rosas office and quit this morning.

He wants 2 years, hes not asking for 4. Some of the absolute donuts that Essendon have on long term deals include:

Duursma - Struggles at the level
Mcgrath until the start of next decade
Redman - What has happened here??
Gresham - Goodness me
Mckay - $$$$$

Stringer has kicked 42 goals this year. Where are they replacing 42 gaols next season? 2MP might be on the move and its way too much to expect that from Caddy.

Stringer walks into heaps of clubs forward lines. Would look awesome at Collingwood or even Prot Adelaide.

He has to back himself and head off elsewhere.

Hes 30 and he cant present in peak physical condition. When is he ever going to learn?

Hes 30 and he cant present in peak physical condition. When is he ever going to learn?
He might be a right w***er (past behaviour would suggest that to be the case) but I’m equally sure his broken leg playing for Bendigo has held him back from peak physical condition his whole career. His problem is he is actually so damn talented that people expect him to be able to deliver on that talent all the time. He’s not physically able to maintain it. The break was one of the worst I’ve ever seen and would have stopped many players dreams in their tracks. Pick 1 and then daylight in 2012 if it hadn’t happened. He’s had an amazing career given it and the fact he’s a total douche.

He might be a right w***er (past behaviour would suggest that to be the case) but I’m equally sure his broken leg playing for Bendigo has held him back from peak physical condition his whole career. His problem is he is actually so damn talented that people expect him to be able to deliver on that talent all the time. He’s not physically able to maintain it. The break was one of the worst I’ve ever seen and would have stopped many players dreams in their tracks. Pick 1 and then daylight in 2012 if it hadn’t happened. He’s had an amazing career given it and the fact he’s a total douche.

Thats a reasonable point and maybe he gets judged harshly. But if hes that limited physically why would any club give him a 2 year deal at his age?

You kind of respect Essendon for doing it and shake your head at the same time? I don't know, just feels lose/lose. If it's only 400k, that's a little insulting. I get making it a year to.year thing since the guy almost literally only performs in contract years but why not make the money a little better at least?

Going to be hard to replace 40 goals

Thats a reasonable point and maybe he gets judged harshly. But if hes that limited physically why would any club give him a 2 year deal at his age?
Because he’s utterly brilliant and a match winner when his natural talent lets loose. He’s obviously able to get fit enough to stay on the park enough to kick a shed ton or goals. He’s a coaches nightmare though. Someone will give him two years and suffer the trials and tribulations of trying to manage the package.

You kind of respect Essendon for doing it and shake your head at the same time? I don't know, just feels lose/lose. If it's only 400k, that's a little insulting. I get making it a year to.year thing since the guy almost literally only performs in contract years but why not make the money a little better at least?

Going to be hard to replace 40 goals
We hit the wall with him and traded him for peanuts. I can see how Scott might feel he needs to draw the line with him at Essendon to set minimum expectations across the playing group. Damn hard to replace his brilliance in the draft though although an easier blow to cop given he’s 30 than we faced booting him at 25 or so.

It's about time Essendon stopped being soft.
I feel like they have overpaid players for years for what they deliver.

If I was a Bombers supporter I would be happy that they are holding him to what he signed.
That's the point of a trigger clause you matched the requirements to activate the trigger contract.

If he wasn't happy with the money why did he sign the original contract with the clause?
This just speaks to greed from Stringer end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can understand Scott wanting to finally and belatedly wanting to set acceptable standards at Essendon, even though short term it looks like a loss to boot Stringer.

Stringer actually only wants to go to a contending club I'd reckon, and in Melbourne. Almost certainly the latest Sydney gossip is just a smokescreen to get the Vic clubs he wants to actually take notice, "if Sydney are thinking about me, you should be too"

Given past history, Stringer would only be suitable for a club with very strong standards, Pies the ideal fit IMO and reckon that's where Jake will get traded to, for a F3 or similar. Essendon would be aware of 2024 picks getting swallowed by Kako matching

Amongst all your shit takes, this is one of the worst.

Duursma would be top 10 in votes per game of our BnF. I look forward to you quoting this when he doesn't finish top 10 in the BnF.
McGrath is a very good small defender. Maybe a touch too long but that's the free agency market.
Redman had a bad year. I'll back him to come back better.
Gresham is contracted for 3 years. Since when is that a long term contract?
McKay is a good key defender who's year 3-6 will be on about the average wage.

You should stick to talking about something you know about. I'm not sure what that is, but it isn't football

Thats less than the average wage for a player that just came equal 12th in the 2024 coleman medal.

He triggered a games clause in his contract for one more year. If Essendon gave him two years half you posters would be saying easy Essendon giving into players. I don’t think he will be in Essendons next premiership so maybe we are trying to get something back for him while we still can.

Couple of points on Jake.

I think the comments around him being a douche are a little overblown. He made some pooor choices as a younger guy but he seems to have matured a lot in recent years - and is very dedicated to his kids. I haven’t heard any reports that he is not well liked around the club.

The contract signed I expect provides him a one one way option to a $400k additional year. I doubt he is obliged to take it. It’s security. And if you are him, you wouldn’t. His market rate today would be close to double that. So I fully support him looking for more, but in particular, an additional year or two, this could be his last contract and he is understandably going to want to extract as much as he can (not sure what he wants to do after footy but I’d be very surprised if it is media ….).

Having said all that, Essendon should hold firm. Essendon’s forward stricture is dysfunctional and needs a total overhaul. We have an over reliance on medium forwards who don’t apply pressure when the ball hits the deck - and, frankly, we should prioritise Langford over Jake. You don’t base a sustainable game plan around Jake - he doesn’t mark, doesn’t provide much pressure - he just bobs up and kicks a few goals from an explosion of talent. I think this works for a contender with already good structure - not for us.

So losing Jake will make us worse in the short term but hopefully better in the long term when we create a more sustainable forward structure.

As for Jake, although guessing, I’ve never got the sense he is THAT motivated by success. So I’m not sure he’d limit his options to a contender. I think he’d prioritise going somewhere in VIC that would provide the most security for him / his kids.

Mate, he has been with us for 7 years.

he has kicked more than 40 goals twice.

2021 - 41 Goals
2024 - 42 Goals.

Avgs 1.68 goals a game for us since he has been here.

He is far too inconsistent, and he is 31 years old next year in April.

If someone wants to take the punt on him, go for it. We did, and it hasn't worked.

Essendon need to make hard calls on underperforming players. We have been a superannuation club for 10 odd years now, and we are over it.

I'd be OK to do a heavily incentivized 2-year deal. But I'm pretty sure he wants minimum 3.

The broken leg is a massive cop out - Simpkin broke his leg in his under 18 year and he has never turned up to a game unfit or overweight.

Mate, he has been with us for 7 years.

he has kicked more than 40 goals twice.

2021 - 41 Goals
2024 - 42 Goals.

Avgs 1.68 goals a game for us since he has been here.

He is far too inconsistent, and he is 31 years old next year in April.

If someone wants to take the punt on him, go for it. We did, and it hasn't worked.

Essendon need to make hard calls on underperforming players. We have been a superannuation club for 10 odd years now, and we are over it.

I'd be OK to do a heavily incentivized 2-year deal. But I'm pretty sure he wants minimum 3.

You've got to be kidding me??

1. He wants 2 years, not 3. Thats public.
2. If you want to make hard calls, tell Redman, Perkins and Draper to pack their bags. All wildly underperforming
3. He's arguably your best forward.
4. How has it not worked? In his 7 years at the club, who from Essendon has kicked more goals than him? What did you expect from him?

You cannot have rules for some and not for all. You topped up with 4 players last off season. None have made the impact you wanted, and now Stringer is paying the price. You gave Gresham 3 years!

Complete mismanagement once again from Essendon.

2. If you want to make hard calls, tell Redman, Perkins and Draper to pack their bags. All wildly underperforming
4. How has it not worked? In his 7 years at the club, who from Essendon has kicked more goals than him? What did you expect from him?

You cannot have rules for some and not for all. You topped up with 4 players last off season. None have made the impact you wanted, and now Stringer is paying the price. You gave Gresham 3 years!

1. I have read 3. but i also said i'd be OK with 2 years as long as it is highly incentivised.
2. You aren't wrong + there is many more that need a boot up the arse.
3. He could be, but he consistently isn't due to his own issues of not keeping fit.
4. 1.68 goals a game from jake stringer over 7 years is not a good return for what he was originally signed on and than subsequently extended on. He has consistently had fitness issues of his own making preventing him from excelling on the field. The fact we have had an incredibly poor fwdline during those 7 years and he only avging 1.68 goals a game shows it hasn't worked.

Essendon has dealt with stringer for 7 years, and for all but 2 of those years he has been a letdown. And those 2 years would be a pass mark at best.

To your point Essendon's drafting and recruitment has been horrible for a long time. Doesn't mean we should keep doing it by giving Stringer a free ride. Maybe it's time for a change?

Last edited:

I can understand the hesitation. He is a supremely talented player and in terms of indiscretions there are players with far worse actions under their belt but in my opinion the fact he never seems to turn in to pre season in shape at his age (he should really know by now) is a massive red flag. It shows a level of disrespect to the club and can set a poor example for the newcomers and draftees coming in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back