Speculation Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd rather lose Stringer and finish lower on the ladder than him kicking 40 goals to help us finish 11th.

Go back to go forward type of moves need to happen, I think Jake is one of these moves.
This is it in a nutshell. Also don’t think he fits into a functioning forward structure with Caddy and Langford in the side.

It's about time Essendon stopped being soft.
I feel like they have overpaid players for years for what they deliver.

If I was a Bombers supporter I would be happy that they are holding him to what he signed.
That's the point of a trigger clause you matched the requirements to activate the trigger contract.

If he wasn't happy with the money why did he sign the original contract with the clause?
This just speaks to greed from Stringer end.

Yeah it's not like if the roles were reversed and he missed a year through injury or poor form he would be like "Guys, you overpaid me on the last one, I'll take unders to smooth it out." He's a mercenary, and they signed him to a deal that works for the club. If he doesn't care about success and is just in it to extract as much from the club that he can then if he was uncontracted just let him go. But given Stringer signed the contract and hit the trigger, hold him to it. If a club is offering more and rates him that highly they can trade and pay overs. And if Jake sooks it up next year, comes back unfit, plays like shit then no one will want him this time next year.

The problems with Stringer in 2017 are still the same problems now. He’s a medium forward that isn’t particularly good in the air or at defensive pressure and needs to be the main man to excel, even though it hamstrings your forward line. And he can’t play more than 5 minutes in the midfield a quarter, if that. Great highlights though.

Lol Essendon finally draw the line at extending one of their only decent forwards.

Right after giving a pick 1 back pocket who isn't very good at offense or defense a 6 year deal.

Lol Essendon finally draw the line at extending one of their only decent forwards.

Right after giving a pick 1 back pocket who isn't very good at offense or defense a 6 year deal.

Dont disagree with what you are generally saying but McGrath is a very good small defender. He just can't kick for shit.

Insane to me that the media is playing up the notion of Essendon disrespecting Jake with the contract talk etc.
I'd say since he has joined them he has given them years of disrespect by not showing up fit, not putting in effort and playing a largely selfish brand his whole career.

If I were the Dons and I were looking to make large scale changes for improvement I'd be looking to offload him ASAP tbh.

The problems with Stringer in 2017 are still the same problems now. He’s a medium forward that isn’t particularly good in the air or at defensive pressure and needs to be the main man to excel, even though it hamstrings your forward line. And he can’t play more than 5 minutes in the midfield a quarter, if that. Great highlights though.

For a hybrid tall, his tackles I50 numbers are quite good

His midfield time is done, we can all accept that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is something finally being done right at Essendon? Has Stringer brought this on himself through less than standard behaviors in the past?

Holding firm on a talented but very conditional footballer, at a time when you're trying to raise standards, seems the smart thing to do.

Is something finally being done right at Essendon? Has Stringer brought this on himself through less than standard behaviors in the past?

Holding firm on a talented but very conditional footballer, at a time when you're trying to raise standards, seems the smart thing to do.
Might be some short term pain but prob worth if it leads to higher expectations on standards

I don't know much of the value of Leverde. Doesn't scream out to me as someone they need to be extending

If Essendon are offering him 1 x 400k they are basically booting him out.

Thats less than the average wage for a player that just came equal 12th in the 2024 coleman medal.

I got told today he now has 6 clubs chasing him. All offering 2 years.

Never change Essendon, never change.

I think that 400k is an extra year on top of his triggered year. It makes no sense for Essendon to offer a one year 400k deal given his triggered extension would be significantly more than that

So a turning 32 year wants more than $400,000?

Im not sure what Essendon should do but extending before the end (contract expiration 2025) sounds ludicrous.

Good on Essendon for holding firm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He’s turning 31yo next year, and $400K is an insult to a guy who just finished equal-12th in the Coleman, and equal first (or within one goal of that) for most goals by a “non-key forward”.

$400k is going to be below the average AFL wage next year. Possibly by quite a bit. So it’s what guys who are fringe and playing lots of VFL will be getting.

Surely a club with a strong, professional culture will offer him plenty more than that, and back themselves to get the best out of him.

For a hybrid tall, his tackles I50 numbers are quite good

His midfield time is done, we can all accept that.
Just 5 games ago, against us, he attended 21 centre bounces (equal 3rd-most outside of Marshall and Draper) and had:

8 clearances (equal game-high)
7 centre clearances (next best 3!)
12 contested poss (equal 3rd-most)
5 inside 50’s (equal 3rd-most)
1 goal
78% disposal efficiency

You might not want him in there all game like that going forward, but spells in there each quarter ought to still be perfectly manageable.

The following week, he kicked 4 goals and laid 10 tackles. Helping his team to a win over a top 8 team.

I’m not in the least bit surprised to hear that Sydney are backing themselves to get the best out of a guy like that. Or at least bang for their buck.

Last edited:
Bombers do like a scapegoat, especially when it’s not one of their own

Don’t worry about the rest of the ineptitude going on at the club

Well, I mean - you can't delist 27 guys at once?

Gotta start somewhere, what do you want us to do? No-one is saying 'just' getting rid of Stringer will fix everything..

Well, I mean - you can't delist 27 guys at once?

Gotta start somewhere, what do you want us to do? No-one is saying 'just' getting rid of Stringer will fix everything..
Is he the problem though, or is it your management of him? If he hasn’t been pulling his weight, has he been dropped, for instance? Until he starts doing what you want him to do?

Is he the problem though, or is it your management of him? If he hasn’t been pulling his weight, has he been dropped, for instance? Until he starts doing what you want him to do?

But had we dropped him, and only him - wouldn’t that be us once again making him a “scapegoat” like you initially said?

As I said, you’ve gotta start somewhere. Be it with stringer or someone else, now, 12 months ago or 12 months from now - something has to be the first move. Maybe this is it.

But had we dropped him, and only him - wouldn’t that be us once again making him a “scapegoat” like you initially said?

As I said, you’ve gotta start somewhere. Be it with stringer or someone else, now, 12 months ago or 12 months from now - something has to be the first move. Maybe this is it.
Other mainstay guys got dropped though, in Hepp, Wright and whoever the third one was. So he wouldn’t have been the only one.

One of the best and most spoken about moves Ross Lyon made back in the day was when he surprisingly dropped Dal Santo and Milne, and it ended up being the catalyst for the run the team went on to have in 2008/2009/2010.

It seems like there are things about Jake your club doesn’t like, but he’s still been doing enough of the things you do like that you won’t drop him, which is like wanting to have your cake and eat it too.

You haven’t been prepared to miss out on the things he’s bringing to the table that you do like, for a bit, in order to hopefully get him to stop doing the things you don’t.

Now all of a sudden you only want to pay him as if he’s pretty much only doing the stuff you don’t like, and ignoring all the stuff you liked so much that you weren’t prepared to ever drop him.

I wouldn’t have thought that’s how you do business. It’s sending really mixed messages and incongruent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back