Speculation Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

Other mainstay guys got dropped though, in Hepp, Wright and whoever the third one was. So he wouldn’t have been the only one.

One of the best and most spoken about moves Ross Lyon made back in the day was when he surprisingly dropped Dal Santo and Milne, and it ended up being the catalyst for the run the team went on to have in 2008/2009/2010.

It seems like there are things about Jake your club doesn’t like, but he’s still been doing enough of the things you do like that you won’t drop him, which is like wanting to have your cake and eat it too.

You haven’t been prepared to miss out on the things he’s bringing to the table that you do like, for a bit, in order to hopefully get him to stop doing the things you don’t.

Now all of a sudden you only want to pay him as if he’s pretty much only doing the stuff you don’t like, and ignoring all the stuff you liked so much that you weren’t prepared to ever drop him.

I wouldn’t have thought that’s how you do business. It’s sending really mixed messages and incongruent.
Not being dropped from the side does not automatically entitle him to add extra dollars or years on a contract he has already agreed on.

If that is what he is after then he can seek it elsewhere, which is exactly what is happening.

Other mainstay guys got dropped though, in Hepp, Wright and whoever the third one was. So he wouldn’t have been the only one.

One of the best and most spoken about moves Ross Lyon made back in the day was when he surprisingly dropped Dal Santo and Milne, and it ended up being the catalyst for the run the team went on to have in 2008/2009/2010.

It seems like there are things about Jake your club doesn’t like, but he’s still been doing enough of the things you do like that you won’t drop him, which is like wanting to have your cake and eat it too.

You haven’t been prepared to miss out on the things he’s bringing to the table that you do like, for a bit, in order to hopefully get him to stop doing the things you don’t.

Now all of a sudden you only want to pay him as if he’s pretty much only doing the stuff you don’t like, and ignoring all the stuff you liked so much that you weren’t prepared to ever drop him.

I wouldn’t have thought that’s how you do business. It’s sending really mixed messages and incongruent.

Some reasonable points - the main thing I’ll bite back on is we’re not “offering him” $400,000 a year. That was the trigger 4th year that he signed originally. He agreed to that term.

I wouldn’t be shocked if we were willing to renegotiate a higher term for next year, say in the $550,000-600,000 ballpark. But only for next year. It’s the length of contract that seems to be the sticking point and the hold up. And it’s really hard to argue against what the club are doing there. Taking out how much he is worth per year, it’s sensible and responsible to be only offering him 1 year at this point.

Not being dropped from the side does not automatically entitle him to add extra dollars or years on a contract he has already agreed on.
I didn’t say it did.
If that is what he is after then he can seek it elsewhere, which is exactly what is happening.
Who wouldn’t?

It’s a shit-sandwich of a deal for him. It’s quite baffling that they agreed to it at the time.

A big pay cut for doing the exact same job.

Some reasonable points - the main thing I’ll bite back on is we’re not “offering him” $400,000 a year. That was the trigger 4th year that he signed originally. He agreed to that term.

I wouldn’t be shocked if we were willing to renegotiate a higher term for next year, say in the $550,000-600,000 ballpark. But only for next year. It’s the length of contract that seems to be the sticking point and the hold up. And it’s really hard to argue against what the club are doing there. Taking out how much he is worth per year, it’s sensible and responsible to be only offering him 1 year at this point.

Say you renegotiate to two years, $600k next year, $400k the following. Basically just $500k per year, but a bit front loaded, wouldn't surprise me if this time next year he wants out and to sign a two year deal elsewhere. I think you guys should stick to your guns but if another club can comes knocking then let them overpay. It's actually shrewd list management that you guys have him locked away for unders next year. It's a contract year for him next year so I'm sure he will put in his best performance.

Bombers do like a scapegoat, especially when it’s not one of their own

Don’t worry about the rest of the ineptitude going on at the club
im confident that no mater which way the footy club was going people were going to lay in

straw man poll,. what is the right play for a team looking at success in 3 - 5 years with regards to Jake Stringer?

Has to be 400k plus match payments and incentives.

He signed that deal 3 years ago.

400k would be on the lower end of the pay wage in AFL.
people forget that the 2022 salary average was about $400,000. signing that at the time was always going to be below when the salary cap increase did come into effect

I actually think he’s a great fit at Sydney if you can get him for $400k a year. That’s below the average salary for an AFL player and you get a potential match winner for a team in contention.

Longmire and the rest of the squad won’t stand for any laziness. The lure of a flag would be sure to see him start of the season in good shape (he has a history of being able to do this).

He’s not a culture killer. Stringer is just a little lazy and a bit dumb at this stage of his career but I’d say his mature enough that no real issues are going to come out of him.

Should be able to rotate and play for whoever happens to be playing North, the Eagles or the Tigers that week.

He’s turning 31yo next year, and $400K is an insult to a guy who just finished equal-12th in the Coleman, and equal first (or within one goal of that) for most goals by a “non-key forward”.

$400k is going to be below the average AFL wage next year. Possibly by quite a bit. So it’s what guys who are fringe and playing lots of VFL will be getting.

Surely a club with a strong, professional culture will offer him plenty more than that, and back themselves to get the best out of him.
It's a trigger on a contract Stringer himself signed.
Whether it's overs or unders, it's the agreed amount. We have no idea if he was paid a bit extra this year as part of having that trigger included in the contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

straw man poll,. what is the right play for a team looking at success in 3 - 5 years with regards to Jake Stringer?
Essendon should be aiming top 4 next year, their list is cherry ripe, not in 3-5 years time. Perkins should be aiming to be a top 20 player in the league, he's got the tools and 5th year in the comp. Merritt, langford, McGrath, parish, Draper, mckay, redman, ridley are in their prime, Stringer is slightly below he's prime, but he wins games and he requires a good defender that allows a Caddy to develop.

They have significant improvement in jones, Hobbs, tsatsis, Caddy, davey, Durham and reid.

He might be a right w***er (past behaviour would suggest that to be the case) but I’m equally sure his broken leg playing for Bendigo has held him back from peak physical condition his whole career. His problem is he is actually so damn talented that people expect him to be able to deliver on that talent all the time. He’s not physically able to maintain it. The break was one of the worst I’ve ever seen and would have stopped many players dreams in their tracks. Pick 1 and then daylight in 2012 if it hadn’t happened. He’s had an amazing career given it and the fact he’s a total douche.
IMG_1246.png

Essendon should be aiming top 4 next year, their list is cherry ripe, not in 3-5 years time. Perkins should be aiming to be a top 20 player in the league, he's got the tools and 5th year in the comp. Merritt, langford, McGrath, parish, Draper, mckay, redman, ridley are in their prime, Stringer is slightly below he's prime, but he wins games and he requires a good defender that allows a Caddy to develop.

They have significant improvement in jones, Hobbs, tsatsis, Caddy, davey, Durham and reid.
I’ve got more questions around why Perkins is under delivering than Stringers output. That lad has no excuses.

That's the thing though their list of prime players are nothing special outside of Merritt. Langford has been decent and Redman probably their best distributor but Mcgrath, mckay, parish draper are ordinary and ridley cant get on the park for stretches. Their improvement in their young players are all good but they need to be playing more senior games.

I have a feeling Essendon flinch now and offer him 2. (1 definite with some very light triggers that get him a 2nd).

Then they put out a press release saying he's signed on for one year.

Then we find out about the easy to achieve triggers.....

Dude, one of the better things I’ve read on Bigfooty. Pretty much the Essendon way, but now that I think about it, it’s how most of the poorer clubs operate - they lack clarity in their own minds, and they with can’t or won’t communicate the standards to the players.
I think a lot of coaches are scared of player power and as a result, allow the tail to wag the dog. Certainly rutten, when coaching Essendon, was like that - totally overwhelmed.
Problem is, you can’t set standards that way. The coach needs a firm hand and to communicate it from the beginning, and if the players don’t comply, you have to drop them - and if you do t it undermines the coach’s leadership.
Also, if it’s not communicated effectively and then you cut them from nowhere both the players cut and the remainder become disgruntled.

Rutten and to a lesser extent Scott have tried to set standards 2 years in, which makes it almost impossible. The saying “you only get one chance at a first impression” comes to mind.

Lol six years of sideways McGrath but see you later 40+ goal Stringer.
The fact that you think the pair are comparable in any way says everything.

The fact that you think the pair are comparable in any way says everything.

They are both mediocre so that's something.

At least the Bombers have finally decided to draw a line in the sand against mediocre players making silly demands.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back