Speculation Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't mind a 2 this year.
Eh. More value for us next year with Kako likely to eat up a bid.

Maybe F2 and 48 for Stringer and F3 to cover some Kako points

I dont think essendon be posturing like the supporters here, if stringer can get himself a muli year deal I suspect they jsut let him go if the trade is half decent.

he is not a required player going forward, hes not a barrass or smith that they think they can extract an overpay from someone.

I dont think essendon be posturing like the supporters here, if stringer can get himself a muli year deal I suspect they jsut let him go if the trade is half decent.

he is not a required player going forward, hes not a barrass or smith that they think they can extract an overpay from someone.

Yes that is a reasonable point, but what I think you’re failing to factor in is Essendon drove a hard bargain back in the 2004-2007 era on some trades, which means that we will still be “difficult to deal with” in 2024 for some reason.

Except your premise lies on the idea that supporters or the club is trying to cause a club to overpay or to extract.

The key factor is 1 year (which is already in place and something we're okay with) vs multiple years. If you're offering multiple years, then you rate the player enough to see them there as a long-term contribution. And, I doubt they would be if he kicked 10 this year.

If a club wants to change our preference, which is to have Stringer around for a year without risk, since they clearly rate him enough to want him for more, then they should logically give a reasonable offer. 32 which is gonna pushed back and a future 2nd is a reasonable starting point considering what they've done before.

Except your premise lies on the idea that supporters or the club is trying to cause a club to overpay or to extract.

The key factor is 1 year (which is already in place and something we're okay with) vs multiple years. If you're offering multiple years, then you rate the player enough to see them there as a long-term contribution. And, I doubt they would be if he kicked 10 this year.

If a club wants to change our preference, which is to have Stringer around for a year without risk, since they clearly rate him enough to want him for more, then they should logically give a reasonable offer. 32 which is gonna pushed back and a future 2nd is a reasonable starting point considering what they've done before.

that contract was signed how many years ago, both clubs and player probably thought they be contending at least for a finals spot. players and club can change their mind. do essendon see stringer a part of their plan going forward as it stand? or take a pick in the 30s in a susppose strong draft?

if stringer stays and kicks another 40 goals then what? trade him end of next year for a pick in the 30s? or let him walk? or give him multi year deal?

Trust a thread about Stringer's contract to be so divided. A lot of unknowns. How has he conducted himself with regards to the contract? What is the offer from other clubs? Is he in Essendon's plan post 2025. If they are unwilling to offer another year, why is that?

Also I don't think Stringer can afford to stink it up in the two's next year because he will be a year older and needing another club to take a punt on him if Bombers don't want him.

It's bizarre trading a player who's just come off 42 goals and ave 5.5 score involvements. But here we are.

I think it's the right thing to do though. I think we are better off with Caddy, Cox, Jones, Wright and Langford up there.
I'm really optimistic Cox can be a very good key forward with the opportunity.

I think if we can get pick 32 from Collingwood, we run.

Last edited:

Zero chance of that happening :D .

If Collingwood are generous enough (and we usually are) to offer pick 32, you will take it, smile and say "well done, we won this trade"

What you are suggesting however, is just moronic and troll worthy.

Have you been living under a rock? He gets comfortable and gets fat. The thing with Stringer is not about keeping him for longer, it's how you do it. If a club wants to get in the way and undo that tactic, then pony up.
Oh no I get that, I'm sort of more hinting at that Essendon have their reasons and if they believe that he's still unprofessional and is just going to take the piss and hasn't changed at all, have no trust in him, then they should absolutely hold firm and keep him to the deal unless they get overs. They don't owe him anything.

I wouldn't be paying pick 32 for a player who is every chance of not putting in any effort for the first year and then deciding he wants to retire after that and not working real hard in his second year. He might only have 25-50 games in him at his age anyway. Prefer he stays at Essendon. He is probably a free agent in 2025 anyway. This draft still has good players at pick 32 (probably closer to 36 on draft night).

I wouldn't be paying pick 32 for a player who is every chance of not putting in any effort for the first year and then deciding he wants to retire after that and not working real hard in his second year. He might only have 25-50 games in him at his age anyway. Prefer he stays at Essendon. He is probably a free agent in 2025 anyway. This draft still has good players at pick 32 (probably closer to 36 on draft night).

He needs to go to a top 4 side. That's where he and the club will get the most out of him.
At his best he's a match winner, and I think going to a legitimate premiership contender would see him turn that on a lot more often.

Being a bit overblown I think. He doesn’t put in “no effort”. No doubt he doesn’t have high standards but he’s not the only one in the AFL like that.

He attracts attention because people have seen him at his (very rare) absolute best and he’s blistering. People think he should be producing that all the time. That’s not going to happen and it shouldn’t be expected - he’s proven that’s not the usual.

He’s not going to be up with Daicos on time trials and repeat efforts but he does make an effort. He’s a proven dangerous forward who knows where to be inside 50 and will kick goals. He’ll kick 3+ very regularly.

If Collingwood regulate expectations and treat him for what he is - not the man but a useful piece of the puzzle - he’d be a good pickup in a cheap trade. McRae is no fool and if he wanted him Im sure he’d have the right role in mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back