Player Watch Jakob Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

Playing against the best forward line in the comp was a tough first ask šŸ˜ƒ
True although he was our best option for the way we play. Nerves got to him in the end.
He may have improved during the game if not injured.
I doubt very much it will affect his future with us.

I would have preferred Edward play and throw someone else down back. Dunno who said it earlier about him needing to add bulk to his body. He looks a big lad to me.
Perhaps vs Essendon šŸ¤”

True although he was our best option for the way we play. Nerves got to him in the end.
He may have improved during the game if not injured.
I doubt very much it will affect his future with us.

I would have preferred Edward play and throw someone else down back. Dunno who said it earlier about him needing to add bulk to his body. He looks a big lad to me.
Perhaps vs Essendon šŸ¤”
Poor kid was like a lamb at the slaughter. It was right up there with you on the cross

Poor kid was like a lamb at the slaughter. It was right up there with you on the cross
I don't think you can read much into his game. He just didn't get control of his nerves. How panicky was that handball to Bailey. And then he got concussed before working his way through the nerves.

I think he is in the mix for early season games with Macrae and HH

Behind a few at the moment. Be competing with Markov and Noble. WHE as well if heā€™s destined for a defensive role. Also the potential for Crispy or Pendles to spend time in defence if theyā€™re keen to free up midfield time for someone like Macrae. I actually thought Jiath stood out more against North but itā€™s still unknown how heā€™d go across 4 quarters.

Would anyone notice if we just swapped him for Bailey Smith and didn't say anything?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Behind a few at the moment. Be competing with Markov and Noble. WHE as well if heā€™s destined for a defensive role. Also the potential for Crispy or Pendles to spend time in defence if theyā€™re keen to free up midfield time for someone like Macrae. I actually thought Jiath stood out more against North but itā€™s still unknown how heā€™d go across 4 quarters.
Heā€™s contracted for another 3 years but hoping he goes past Noble and Oleg as soon as possible

Heā€™s contracted for another 3 years but hoping he goes past Noble and Oleg as soon as possible

Did not realise they had re-signed him for longer. I am yet to see anything outstanding from him, though I did not watch all VFL matches last season. I was hoping to see one outstanding trait at least: pace, sticky hands, superior disposal, etc, but he just seems to be OK at everything to me without excelling at anything. Anyway, the club must see something there to have extended him early and I hope it's just time he needs to bloom... and he is still so young and pretty slight

Did not realise they had re-signed him for longer. I am yet to see anything outstanding from him, though I did not watch all VFL matches last season. I was hoping to see one outstanding trait at least: pace, sticky hands, superior disposal, etc, but he just seems to be OK at everything to me without excelling at anything. Anyway, the club must see something there to have extended him early and I hope it's just time he needs to bloom... and he is still so young and pretty slight
I think run and carry should be a highlight but we havenā€™t seen him do it yet. Whether thatā€™s confidence or role / instructions or?
Heā€™s put on some weight / muscle (also appears a little taller??) so I want to see him take the game on in the VFL
Rather him get caught w the ball / make mistakes trying to break lines than easy options

No rush. I think heā€™ll struggle to get opportunity this year and if he does hopefully itā€™s because his VFL form is irresistible rather than the alternative.

He's young, granted, and came through his draft year as an under-ager but he's incredibly weak 1v1 and in anything resembling a contested situation. Also looks like a genuine plodder in the way he moves.

I also thought his selection at pick 28 (2022), with what else was available, was an absolute head scratcher. Hiney obviously saw something and the club likewise, have faith in his potential. I remain sceptical that he has a stand-out trait and/or that he'll be competitive enough to make it at the next level but am also hopeful to be proven wrong!

I didn't think he played a good game against Norf, certainly no where near the level he would need to push himself into round 1 contention.
I didnt mean round 1, my round 1 team is basically set at this point, i thought he was one of our best early in the practice game tbh then struggled in 2nd half but the midfield did get smashed which didnt help him there

He's outstanding above the shoulders. Reads it really quickly and gets there early. Seeing his skills look fine and he should become solid athletically, I think he's a pretty safe bet to make it.

I didnt mean round 1, my round 1 team is basically set at this point, i thought he was one of our best early in the practice game tbh then struggled in 2nd half but the midfield did get smashed which didnt help him there
Love your avatar mate.
Awesome!

He's outstanding above the shoulders. Reads it really quickly and gets there early. Seeing his skills look fine and he should become solid athletically, I think he's a pretty safe bet to make it.
Let's not forget that he only turned 18 about a week before the GF, so he has plenty of development ahead.
He has the raw materials to be a very good player.

Why has Ryan failed to make it?

So he is contracted until the end of 2026 but told to look elsewhere.

Seems something has changed from the clubs point of view?

Why has Ryan failed to make it?

So he is contracted until the end of 2026 but told to look elsewhere.

Seems something has changed from the clubs point of view?
told to look elsewhere? who said?

He's been hampered by injury this year. But he has time. He's only 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jakob Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back