Coach James Hird - is it time to give him a second chance at coaching an AFL club? Gil says yes!

Should James Hird be given a second chance at coaching an AFL club?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He needs to properly detail his role in the drug injecting and admit he went to court for pride/ego reasons .The ridiculous protracted court stuff dragged the players through years more of unnecessary stress.He should also apologise to Andrew Demitrou for trying to besmirch his good name and blame the drugs saga on the AFL which Hird tried to do.

Even if he did he would still get abused so it wouldn't make a difference people need to let the bloke move on with his life.

Yes he has- you just refuse to accept it which is what a numbskull would do.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...l/news-story/9976390fd28a4b23824bd869ae7db7b1

This bit though isn't taking responsibility

“When I feel guilt, sadness, devastation for the players, I am also upset at the way the procedural fairness or process was enacted to deny our players procedural fairness and the football club fairness.”

If Hird owned up to what happened immiedately then Essendon would have probably got a ban similar to Cronulla's and it would have all been over within a year. It was only Hird, Thompson and a few others who refused to accept responsibility and tried to fight things all the way that drew out the saga into something that lasted years. Hird was responsible for the years of stress and 12 month ban the players went through, but in the article you quoted he still seems to believe that it was other people who caused those players pain. It was all on him.

“Definitely, an experience like this can’t help but change certain elements of you as a person.

“You are a lot harder. You don’t trust as much.’’

According to Hird his only crime was trusting too much. That is as see through as when a interviewer asks a potential employee what is a fault they have and the interviewee saying "I just work too hard"

This bit though isn't taking responsibility

If Hird owned up to what happened immiedately then Essendon would have probably got a ban similar to Cronulla's and it would have all been over within a year. It was only Hird, Thompson and a few others who refused to accept responsibility and tried to fight things all the way that drew out the saga into something that lasted years. Hird was responsible for the years of stress and 12 month ban the players went through, but in the article you quoted he still seems to believe that it was other people who caused those players pain. It was all on him.

According to Hird his only crime was trusting too much. That is as see through as when a interviewer asks a potential employee what is a fault they have and the interviewee saying "I just work too hard"
Well here it is; and this is only one occassion where accepts responsibilty for what went on.
Only a fool would think he should accept all responsibility because after all, that wouldn't leave any responsibility on the table for the likes of Weapon, Dank, Reid, Thompson, Goody, Robson, Evans.....

“I have a level of responsibility in that. I should have known more. I should have done more when the opportunity came.

“I feel extremely guilty for that and bad for that. I can only apologise for that. I made decisions in real time that in hindsight, I think were wrong.”

Sheedy backing Hird...what a joke.

Hird needs to take responsibility and stop blaming everyone else. I could see *don taking him back, because they also haven't taken responsibility, but no other club would go near him.

Sheedy needs to lay off the shiraz.

How is Robert Walls is going is he going to tell Bolts that player X "needs a run in the ruck"

Ignoring the fact that he took no responsibility in the ASADA scandal, was he actually any good? Essendon were horrendously inconsistent when Hird was coach. I remember we played them twice in 2013 in the space of 8 games and they were a 10 goal worse side in the second meeting - and this was before any punishments were handed down and we were getting worse as the season wore on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes,

I'm sure the major sponsor of said club would be absolutely thrilled Kevin.

PR disaster.

If Hird wants to coach again then he needs to go through the process of gaining trust again. Start in the State leagues and build from there and see where it takes you. I am sure he has a good footy mind and could be an asset to an AFL club down the track??

Quite interesting to read on here the no second chances brigade, we live in a society these days where second, third, fourth and fifth chances are common place in all walks of life. We offer numerous excuses for our young children and our adult children that they deserve a second or third chance.

I think Hird is above coaching now. Would love to see him take on an executive role at the AFL so that he can start cleaning up the corrupt league from the inside.
giphy.gif

I don’t really get the issue here. Sheedy is just batting the breeze and airing his own opinions about serving time etc. presumably prompted by the discussions around shortening the “sandpaper three’s” suspension.

I didn’t know that Hird is outright banned from participation or serving any type of suspension is he?

To return to senior coaching at AFL level would first mean a club would have to consider appointing him. Since that hasn’t happened as far as anyone knows, and doesn’t seem very likely, it’s probably in the category of a bridge that can be either crossed or blown up if and when...

I don’t really get the issue here. Sheedy is just batting the breeze and airing his own opinions about serving time etc. presumably prompted by the discussions around shortening the “sandpaper three’s” suspension.

I didn’t know that Hird is outright banned from participation or serving any type of suspension is he?

To return to senior coaching at AFL level would first mean a club would have to consider appointing him. Since that hasn’t happened as far as anyone knows, and doesn’t seem very likely, it’s probably in the category of a bridge that can be either crossed or blown up if and when...

GET OUTRAGED PG

If Hird wants to coach again then he needs to go through the process of gaining trust again. Start in the State leagues and build from there and see where it takes you. I am sure he has a good footy mind and could be an asset to an AFL club down the track??

Yep if he were to take that road & make a success of it, I think most would be fine with that, could respect it even. Entry straight in at AFL level would not be the way to go for anyone, esp James himself.

Weren't Fremantle close to hiring him as an assistant?

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach James Hird - is it time to give him a second chance at coaching an AFL club? Gil says yes!

Back