Coach James Hird - is it time to give him a second chance at coaching an AFL club? Gil says yes!

Should James Hird be given a second chance at coaching an AFL club?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm intrigued- what exactly is the first step you want him take ??

Apologise and take responsibility for what happened.

Not just to the players etc in private but to the wider football public for bringing the sport into absolute disgrace.

I suspect Hird's biggest regret from the whole affair is the damage it did to his image. Zero contrition or genuine accountability.

The man's a textbook narcissist and we have enough of those already.

I worry that Sheedy's entering that Malthouse late-career irrelevance period where you start to say anything to get yourself in the headlines.

Has anyone brought out the "Haven't you ever made a mistake?" line in response to the No vote?

Whenever I see that repeated, there doesn't seem to be an appreciation of the scale or degree of the "mistake". My "mistake" in getting a speeding ticket on the road to the airport seems to be considered on a par with the "mistake" of, for instance, going on a multi-day drug binge with a school girl.

Well here it is; and this is only one occassion where accepts responsibilty for what went on.
Only a fool would think he should accept all responsibility because after all, that wouldn't leave any responsibility on the table for the likes of Weapon, Dank, Reid, Thompson, Goody, Robson, Evans.....

“I have a level of responsibility in that. I should have known more. I should have done more when the opportunity came.

“I feel extremely guilty for that and bad for that. I can only apologise for that. I made decisions in real time that in hindsight, I think were wrong.”

Screams of i'm sorry I got caught. not, i'm sorry for what I did.

I don’t really get the issue here. Sheedy is just batting the breeze and airing his own opinions about serving time etc. presumably prompted by the discussions around shortening the “sandpaper three’s” suspension.

I didn’t know that Hird is outright banned from participation or serving any type of suspension is he?

To return to senior coaching at AFL level would first mean a club would have to consider appointing him. Since that hasn’t happened as far as anyone knows, and doesn’t seem very likely, it’s probably in the category of a bridge that can be either crossed or blown up if and when...
Absolutely. Nothing is stopping a club from hiring him but nobody wants that baggage, particularly as he hadn’t been successful anyway and that was with the help of the drugs.
People should just stop regarding Sheedy as some sort of guru. The worst culprit in this regard is Sheed himself......what a huge ego!

You can say a lot about James Hird, but he never could be accused of being a typical knuckle dragging footballer.

The damage to his reputation is the type that would affect him everywhere, not just the AFL. Maybe if he moved offshore he would escape it, but that is it.

Let us dispense with the notion with the notion that he's some Mike Fitzpatrick style brainbox and quality corporate operator though.

Like, the two literally went head to head in a battle of wits, and Mike won pretty conclusively.

Apologise and take responsibility for what happened.

Not just to the players etc in private but to the wider football public for bringing the sport into absolute disgrace.

Why should he when he copped abuse by the public,media and papers and also having scum journalists camping in his drive way every day?

As far as I'm concerned he's owes the public nothing for how he got treated. The main thing here is that he apologised to the players and their families privately.

How can he we he doesn't know him self? I he did knew I'm sure he would tell but he like the players were duped by that scum bucket Dank.

Bullshit he didn't know. He knew enough about what was injected into himself.

If you're saying he had no idea at all what players were being injected with but gave it the all clear then that makes him one massive POS to give the all clear to inject other people with unknown substances.

Well done on highlighting what a trash human being he is.

Can't see him getting a gig as a senior coach any time in the next decade or two. At best, an assistant / role coaching type gig where he can contribute without being in the spotlight would be about the extent of it. Similar to Voss's role with Port Adelaide. He didn't exactly come across as some kind of genius or generational coach that would justify a club taking on the media scrutiny by appointing him head coach.

The amount of rampant hypocrisy for those wanting him to apologise and suffer still after all that's been said and happened over the past 7 years is amusing. Amazing how many must sit there at night nurturing their hatred for a man they've never met.

He ****ed up, he's taken an enormous personal and professional hit, including significant mental health issues. At what point do people move on? Carey is far worse an individual than Hird for example.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bullshit he didn't know. He knew enough about what was injected into himself.

If you're saying he had no idea at all what players were being injected with but gave it the all clear then that makes him one massive POS to give the all clear to inject other people with unknown substances.

Well done on highlighting what a trash human being he is.

Hird did know what were in those injections weather they were the legal kind is any ones guess. like I said the only bloke who knows is Dank if Asada did their job properly they would have arrested Dank and made him confess.

Why should he when he copped abuse by the public,media and papers and also having scum journalists camping in his drive way every day?

As far as I'm concerned he's owes the public nothing for how he got treated. The main thing here is that he apologised to the players and their families privately.

Looks like these scum journalists didn't even have to camp out, he posed for them, with his kid!

Hirdy.jpeg

Hird did know what were in those injections weather they were the legal kind is any ones guess. like I said the only bloke who knows is Dank if Asada did their job properly they would have arrested Dank and made him confess.

Mate, concentrate on Andy McGrath killing the preseason.

This one bailed years ago.

And that's why he should never be allowed to coach again. Negligent to the max when it comes to player welfare.

It will really be up to a club to offer him a roll.

Not sure many would want him as he would bring massive baggage. And all the extra media attention.
That and Hird does carry a massive ego.
My guess most clubs would pass on all that.

Even taking that into account, is Hird a particularly good football tactician, coach, brain?

See Sheedy goes off on his tangent and look at the reaction, all the Essendon drug stuff comes back into discussion.

I’d pass.
But it will really be up to clubs to offer him a viable role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach James Hird - is it time to give him a second chance at coaching an AFL club? Gil says yes!

Back