James Sicily and his development

Remove this Banner Ad

Great that Sicily got nominated for the Rising Star, not that we care for such personal accolades at Hawthorn, premierships being what it's all about of course :p

I've been lucky enough to be able to go to lots of Box Hill matches over the past few years and it's very satisfying (gratifying?) to see some of the youngsters graduate from there to the Hawthorn team. One thing I've noticed is that when he started at Box Hill he was a real hot head and always seemed to be getting into fights. He seems to have controlled his aggression much more now and is not getting distracted with unnecessary fisticuffs - another tick for our development team because at one point I thought it might be a serious barrier to his progression.

I don't care if he occasionally 'coerces' a free for high contact, shows high footy it in my opinion. if it helps us win games, and it's not against the rules- do it until it doesn't work any more. I don't care if Robbo or caro or even derm don't like it. It's their job to win games and free kicks help that.

Does anyone truly think that Sis ducked his head in those 2 tackles last night.
When you twist and turn your knees bend and consequently you get lower.
It was certainly not Lindsay or Duckwood like
Ducking is not the right word.
He's a sharp direction changer who turns into the direction of the tackler.
Changing direction lowers your centre of gravity and prompts clumsy tackling.

Whatever you call him, those free kicks were milked like crazy.
However sharp changes of direction are an evasive maneuver and 100% legitimate.
Tackling techniques need to be looked at.

Great that Sicily got nominated for the Rising Star, not that we care for such personal accolades at Hawthorn, premierships being what it's all about of course :p

I've been lucky enough to be able to go to lots of Box Hill matches over the past few years and it's very satisfying (gratifying?) to see some of the youngsters graduate from there to the Hawthorn team. One thing I've noticed is that when he started at Box Hill he was a real hot head and always seemed to be getting into fights. He seems to have controlled his aggression much more now and is not getting distracted with unnecessary fisticuffs - another tick for our development team because at one point I thought it might be a serious barrier to his progression.

I had the same opinion, but the club has done wonders in that area, and last Friday's game was an ideal test for young James. He came through with flying colours, and the Rising Star nomination is a rewarding bonus. Well done James, and I wouldn't be surprised if you have a few more bags this year. I am a fan!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be really good to see him back it up this week with a solid performance again. Consistency is the key Sista

Always find Aurora a bit of a headache for forwards though with nature having her way.

Hoping Siss has a solid one though.

Always find Aurora a bit of a headache for forwards though with nature having her way.

Hoping Siss has a solid one though.

I would love to see him in the backline again because then the big question will be, "when does he swing forward?" And then when he swing forward and doesn't kick a bag he'll be hanged up upon by the commentators. Unless he does kick another bag in which case he's the second coming of Santa Claus.

I would love to see him in the backline again because then the big question will be, "when does he swing forward?" And then when he swing forward and doesn't kick a bag he'll be hanged up upon by the commentators. Unless he does kick another bag in which case he's the second coming of Santa Claus.

Having him swap back and forth with Gunston would be interesting.

I'm guessing that's the long-term plan, Sissy, Gunny, Timmy and Schoe drifting back and forth as required depending if we need talls or mediums forward or down back, Roughy next year too when we get him back.
The more movable pieces Clarko has the harder we are to match up on and the more choices he has when something isn't working

Any chance of actually winning the Rising Star award? What's voting based on? Does the fact he's played every game (at least so far) help at all?

Has certainly had a huge impact in multiple games so far and has been pivotal in 2 big games.

Any chance of actually winning the Rising Star award? What's voting based on? Does the fact he's played every game (at least so far) help at all?

Has certainly had a huge impact in multiple games so far and has been pivotal in 2 big games.
Voting is based on the vibe....

So no chance :)

Remove this Banner Ad

James Sicily and his development

Remove this Banner Ad

Back