James Sicily

Remove this Banner Ad

“James, you’re a dickhead, but you’re our dickhead and we want you to be better than this”

Man, I hope he can put all this dumb shit behind him.
Lets just hope when he gets back that he can go the rest of the season with no incidents, i certainly have my doubts. God he can be a flog, needs to smarten the f up

James needs to be more lovable rouge when he does grubby stuff on a footy field.

Should model his game on that accidental victim Joel Selwood. Always a victim of circumstance, of which he's never at fault.

Joel is like a Volvo driver. Sees many accidents, but never caused any of them.

Disagree.

Three weeks ago, Sicily was suspended for dropping a knee on a player who was lying on the ground.

Not last season, or a couple of seasons ago. It was IN THE SAME
MONTH.

He gets a week because he clearly hasn’t learned a single thing.

Only a fervent one-eyed optimist would be confident he will learn from this little holiday because he sure didn’t learn from the one HE ACCEPTED way back in the 4th of April.

I had less problem with the knee drop.
Have someone wrap their arms around your legs, you try and leave, you try and leave, you try and leave, and they refuse to let you go.
It's actually a pretty natural reaction to let the knees un-flex and drop on to that which is holding you back, somewhat intentionally, but also somewhat in natural body reflex.
I've done it many times in muck around wrestle with buddies growing up, not full suplex to break ribs, but just to allow there to be a consequence that is unpleasant to their action.

The step on thing this week worries me more. I absolutely love the kid but am unsure he has a plan on how to unload his frustration effectively, like most backmen understand quickly. It's not hard to arrive at a marking contest and place knees in the ribs of someone who has bugged you while flying for the ball. You can fall hard with a player wrapped up and drive them into the ground so they feel it. You can 'un' intentionally have your fist graze the back of their head while fisting a ball clear. Maybe even just step back and put a couple studs in the toes of your opponent if he's holding you from behind.
Because he's played most of his career forward and in the middle as a junior, he doesn't have some of the mechanisms to get across his dissatisfaction to a particularly annoying opponent.

Needs some tutelage from Derm who has seen how the game has changed and can impart some needed wisdom.

Journo “Have you spoken to Shaun?”
Sicily o_O “Shaun...? I don’t know a Shaun...” :huh:
Journo “Shaun Atley...”
Sicily :straining:

Had to laugh

James Sicily is now certified my favourite player.

Happy with the week , really thought he would get more . Just seemed to be geared up for a 2-3 week break

He is way too important to us to miss games for stuff like that

I had less problem with the knee drop.
Have someone wrap their arms around your legs, you try and leave, you try and leave, you try and leave, and they refuse to let you go.
It's actually a pretty natural reaction to let the knees un-flex and drop on to that which is holding you back, somewhat intentionally, but also somewhat in natural body reflex.
I've done it many times in muck around wrestle with buddies growing up, not full suplex to break ribs, but just to allow there to be a consequence that is unpleasant to their action.

The step on thing this week worries me more. I absolutely love the kid but am unsure he has a plan on how to unload his frustration effectively, like most backmen understand quickly. It's not hard to arrive at a marking contest and place knees in the ribs of someone who has bugged you while flying for the ball. You can fall hard with a player wrapped up and drive them into the ground so they feel it. You can 'un' intentionally have your fist graze the back of their head while fisting a ball clear. Maybe even just step back and put a couple studs in the toes of your opponent if he's holding you from behind.
Because he's played most of his career forward and in the middle as a junior, he doesn't have some of the mechanisms to get across his dissatisfaction to a particularly annoying opponent.

Needs some tutelage from Derm who has seen how the game has changed and can impart some needed wisdom.

Selwood, ironically the player Sicily was suspended against just got off appealing he was pulled down by the player

Which club is taking the right approach? Hawks admonished their own player, cats predictably exploited the rules to the nth degree

I’ve lost count of the times Taylor and lonergan for example have ‘stumbled’ and fallen back on opponents getting up from a marking contest. Make no mistake, Sicily is singled out by the mrp

Also the Sicily Selwood tangle came from an in play tackle. Selwood chose to become involved in the Thomas fracas, how could he argue that it was someone else’s fault? The guy is 10x the dickhead Sicily is

Also shouldn’t the Selwood case have been dealt with first? Then the other people would have known it was ‘make up some shit and be OK’ day

The fix is in

Last edited:
The James Sicily effect.

The MRO decision to send him to the tribunal was over the top & created a whole lot of media hype. Surely Michael Christan can make his own decision on this.

Obvious minimal impact, could've just issued a fine & be done with it.

Spot on there.

Isn't like he was trying to iron out an opponent & accidentally made head contact or was cleaning up an influential opponent for the benefit of the team.

He put his frustration above the needs of his team-mates & they've paid for it, twice in a month; the 2nd of which could well contribute to us losing a game we'd otherwise win.

Of course he'll learn, but this sh*t is as frustrating as pants. I'd imagine every wall in Clarko's house has a fist through it by now...
Just try putting on one leg at a time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy with the week , really thought he would get more . Just seemed to be geared up for a 2-3 week break

He is way too important to us to miss games for stuff like that

Geez that would be very harsh for stepping on someone. It wasn't even a stomp. Thomas would have received 6 - 8 if we were giving 3 weeks for Sicily's brain fade.

Geez that would be very harsh for stepping on someone. It wasn't even a stomp. Thomas would have received 6 - 8 if we were giving 3 weeks for Sicily's brain fade.
Didn't think it was worth it myself , just it was playing out for him to be made an example of

Still a very poor act imo

Didn't think it was worth it myself , just it was playing out for him to be made an example of

Still a very poor act imo
Firstly, agree it was a poor act. The bold is my issue with how it all played out. There is a mechanism for his act in the rules and they just didn't apply it, the change to the MRP was to take out inconsistencies and apply the rules. It would have played out better if Christian applied the rules (fine) and the AFL then took it to the tribunal rather than the AFL getting Christian to send him the the tribunal.

It'll be interesting how any future stomping act gets applied. It will have to go straight to the tribunal (which is against the regulations). And if it doesn't there better be an outcry from the media. But what will happen is that Whately will get out the regulations and show why it was just a fine as he does with all these cases (which he didn't do for Sicily).

If you don't like stomping don't include it in the classifiable offences then you can send it to the tribunal and make an example of everyone that does it.

The thing is, we are talking undisciplined acts that are 100% avoidable, not to mention unnecessary. There was no need, nor reason for Sicily to tread on the player. It was a simple act of just stepping over him, something players seem to manage without too much difficulty 100s of times each weekend.

I'm guessing by your user name you were a Hawks fan in the late 80s and saw the many stupid things Dermott Brereton used to do. It got to the stage where, at the completion of a game, you didn't check the injuries first, you would look to see if Dermott had been reported. Whilst not in those proportions yet, it's starting to head that way with Sicily, and he really needs to pull his head in.

I don't care what Thomas would have got, I care about Hawthorn fielding our best possible 22 each round. Sicily sitting in the stands AGAIN next weekend is not helping our cause.

Last edited:
He's building quite the highlight reel of stupid acts and awesome football. Will be fun to watch at the end of the year.

He's the type of player to win a Norm Smith, but also the type to be suspended for a Grand Final.

I’ve lost count of the times Taylor and lonergan for example have ‘stumbled’ and fallen back on opponents getting up from a marking contest. Make no mistake, Sicily is singled out by the mrp

The fix is in

The key to his ban was intention. Do you have any examples of stomping that were blatantly deliberate (not in a marking contest which 'looked' accidental)? Looking at the comments from the tribunal they were as much concerned about the look as the potential harm. To be fair, that is reasonable. I don't want to watch any of my beloved hawks doing what Sis did.

The key to his ban was intention. Do you have any examples of stomping that were blatantly deliberate (not in a marking contest which 'looked' accidental)? Looking at the comments from the tribunal they were as much concerned about the look as the potential harm. To be fair, that is reasonable. I don't want to watch any of my beloved hawks doing what Sis did.

So hes guilty of 'bad acting' (and being James Sicily)

and the 'look'" pleeese. the Brian Lake thing - what was a fine became 3 weeks in a couple of days of media whining. Darcy was one of the worst whiners yet a couple of years earlier he was cheering on bazza hall choking scott thompson.

'teh look' is a pathetic excuse because it seems to require at least week extra added on to the previous worst penalty for any given incident

Remove this Banner Ad

James Sicily

Remove this Banner Ad

Back