James Sicily

Remove this Banner Ad

Ridiculous. They were victims of their environments. Lack of premiership success had nothing to do with how they played the game. Do we add Peter Hudson, Peter Knights, Jason Dunstall, Chris Mew etc to the list of "goody two shoes" footballers?

Uhh, no.
My point was those players largely played with teams that weren't able to do whatever was necessary to win, including having an 'environment' filled with players who were hard men on the field.
Peter knights and Chris Mew could play the way they did because the field was affected by men who would cross the line to win. Thus, they didn't have to.
Harvey got to play with some very skilled team mates but you need more to win cups.
Robbie probably had enough hard men around him but came up against one of our eras where we simply had more....of everything.

Pretty sure Flower and Harvey would have welcomed Sicily into any of their sides, not simply for the skill he'd bring but for the edge he provides that might hopefully swing games in the biggest of moments.

I already found the grounds on which Sicily will be reported this week.

Sicily Accepts One Match Ban for Stringer Stare

Fiery Hawthorn defender James Sicily has been offered a one match ban after staring maliciously at Essendon forward Jake Stringer.

The incident occurred after Stringer unintentionally struck Sicily with an errant elbow high behind play. 'Razor' Ray Chamberlain was quick on the whistle, reporting Sicily and awarding Stringer a downfield free kick. The Hawthorn hothead, known for his temper, then gave away a 50-metre penalty that led to an Essendon goal after breathing heavily towards Chamberlain.

Match Review Officer Michael Christian assessed the incident as intentional conduct with low impact to the mental state, resulting in a one-match ban being offered, but the clause of potential to cause serious injury could have lifted the impact to medium.

“(Football operations Manager) Steve Hocking and I certainly discussed grading the incident medium impact,” Christian told SEN on Sunday.

“While the damage itself was minimal, we believe that the intention behind his (Sicily’s) stare was malicious and could have escalated to serious violence.

“We ultimately decided that without physical violence, a one match suspension was appropriate. However, it’s not about what damage was actually done. It’s about the potential of what could have been done, both to overall mental health (of Stringer) and to the appearance of the AFL to the wider community.”

When questioned about Stringer’s elbow towards Sicily, Christian shrugged. “Likes to play on the edge, does the Package. There was really nothing in it.”

Essendon’s medical report suggested Stringer received extensive damage to his ego and would be unable to participate in Essendon’s upcoming clash with Carlton on Saturday night. Essendon denied allegations he has recently been seen outside suburban high schools.

Clarkson addressed the umpiring in the post-match interview, declaring it a ‘farce’. He also requested that Fox Footy stop targeting Sicily, who had three cameras solely dedicated to following him throughout the match. Clarkson received a fine of $10,000 by the AFL for bringing the game into disrepute. When contacted, Clarkson refused to comment on his situation. AFL.com understands that his unavailability may suggest that he is in imminent talks with St. Kilda to replace Alan Richardson as head coach.

He needs to pull his head in right quick. He's a colossal idiot for getting done so soon after the last time. Hopefully Clarkson had made it clear to him that he's too important to be missing games because has acted like a flog, he's too good

Spot on - he is just SO DAMN GOOD... we need him out there week in week out terrorising the opposition and causing headaches for coaches with his damaging play. I don't want him to lose his edge, just get smarter about staying within the limits of the game

I already found the grounds on which Sicily will be reported this week.

Sicily Accepts One Match Ban for Stringer Stare

Fiery Hawthorn defender James Sicily has been offered a one match ban after staring maliciously at Essendon forward Jake Stringer.

The incident occurred after Stringer unintentionally struck Sicily with an errant elbow high behind play. 'Razor' Ray Chamberlain was quick on the whistle, reporting Sicily and awarding Stringer a downfield free kick. The Hawthorn hothead, known for his temper, then gave away a 50-metre penalty that led to an Essendon goal after breathing heavily towards Chamberlain.

Match Review Officer Michael Christian assessed the incident as intentional conduct with low impact to the mental state, resulting in a one-match ban being offered, but the clause of potential to cause serious injury could have lifted the impact to medium.

“(Football operations Manager) Steve Hocking and I certainly discussed grading the incident medium impact,” Christian told SEN on Sunday.

“While the damage itself was minimal, we believe that the intention behind his (Sicily’s) stare was malicious and could have escalated to serious violence.

“We ultimately decided that without physical violence, a one match suspension was appropriate. However, it’s not about what damage was actually done. It’s about the potential of what could have been done, both to overall mental health (of Stringer) and to the appearance of the AFL to the wider community.”

When questioned about Stringer’s elbow towards Sicily, Christian shrugged. “Likes to play on the edge, does the Package. There was really nothing in it.”

Essendon’s medical report suggested Stringer received extensive damage to his ego and would be unable to participate in Essendon’s upcoming clash with Carlton on Saturday night. Essendon denied allegations he has recently been seen outside suburban high schools.

Clarkson addressed the umpiring in the post-match interview, declaring it a ‘farce’. He also requested that Fox Footy stop targeting Sicily, who had three cameras solely dedicated to following him throughout the match. Clarkson received a fine of $10,000 by the AFL for bringing the game into disrepute. When contacted, Clarkson refused to comment on his situation. AFL.com understands that his unavailability may suggest that he is in imminent talks with St. Kilda to replace Alan Richardson as head coach.

To be honest mate, you should be writing for the AFL Website. More believable journalism than they put out.

Fantastic reader of the play. If by halfway through the third term we aren't scoring I'd love to see clarko to swap him forward to get him causing havoc for scum defenders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no doubt he's a hot head and can act like a real twat, but he's only 23 and will mature. This kid has some serious talent and at pick 56, he was an absolute steal. Based on draft order now he should have been a first rounder. Confident, great mark and kick. Let's just grit our teeth for a while if needed and watch him develop into our AA defender.

Well, we saw the way he responded last year to the criticism and the heavy focus. Generally speaking we were all pretty happy with his development.

In saying that, I cant wait to see his response this week and for the rest of the season.

I expect his continued development, and am prepared for the occasional brain snap. He's still developing and maturing.

A lot of players have these brain fades when their form is down. Weirdly enough it isn’t happening here. His form is still great. There is likely some truth to the “he plays best when on edge” - he just has to find smarter ways to do it.

I reckon Sammy M played better when targeted. His relentless “playing well in spite of it all” and his verbal taunts kept him fired up. If Sicily can cop it and still win on the field and give out some verbal then maybe he can maintain that energy

View attachment 492605

This with winning, hurts the opposition a lot more then the stuff he has been reported for.

He really is a stirrer. Love him !!

Thought it showed great leadership that Smith went over to him and had a chat after his goal.

I bet he was saying something along the lines of "this is what you were meant to do, so stop getting rubbed out for stupid stuff."

Who is the Hawk player that has Joe Daniher asa business partner? Saw an article about it a few weeks ago, but cant find now. I was under the impression it was Sicily. Today would be even funnier if that was true.

Remove this Banner Ad

James Sicily

Remove this Banner Ad

Back