Jared Petrenko

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Everyone around here knows that Pets is my favourite whipping boy (or at least one of them). I'm equally aware that he seems to be one of the board's favourite players, for reasons which I cannot begin to fathom.

So... educate me. What do you think Petrenko has to offer? Why should he be selected this week, given that he's been arguably our least effective player over the last 2 games (MMC GF & R1).

Cast your minds back to the MMC GF. Petrenko had a massive:rolleyes: 8 disposals, at a pathetic 38% disposal efficiency, despite having spent 86% of the game time on the ground. Put bluntly, he didn't get enough of it and when he did he was a liability.

To be fair, Petrenko's supporters pointed to his 7 tackles (second only to Thompson's 11) and the fact that he did a good job of keeping Hurn quiet in the 2nd half, after he'd looked particularly dangerous in the 1st half.

I can't help wondering if the reason he has so many tackles is because he's always 2nd to the ball - a theory which is supported by his lack of disposals.

I'm also wary of any tagger who can't earn his own ball and hurt the opposition going the other way. This was one of the major reasons why Rob Shirley's career came to such an abrupt end. Petrenko would do well to learn from Shirley's lesson.

OK.. moving on to R1. Once again, Petrenko is at the bottom end of the field when it comes to disposals. Petrenko had just 13 disposals at 69% accuracy (only 6 of our 22 were under 70%), from 79% game time. Only Rutten, Lynch & Henderson had fewer disposals - and two of them played less than half the game.

Even then, 13 disposals is being kind to him. His fantastic pass to Walker, late in the 3rd quarter, was just his 6th disposal for the game (according to the commentators at the time). In other words, he earned most of his disposals (at least half) in junk time, long after the game had been decided, when every other player on the ground had slowed to a walk. Don't even think of arguing that this is because he's so much fitter than everyone else, that argument just doesn't stand up. The only thing I can put it down to is that he had a lot of energy left because he wasn't making any meaningful contributions during the first 2 1/2 quarters when the game was being played at full pace.

His fans can't even defend him based on his tackle count this week, given that he had just 4 tackles for the entire game. 6 of our players had 5 or more, with Sloane's total of 9 being our best for the game.

The only redeeming feature of his game is his team-high total of 3 goal assists.

Nobody doubts his skill level. His pass to Walker, from the boundary line, using the outside of his right boot, hitting Walker on the chest, was just sublime. It will live in my memory for a long time to come. But that's just one disposal in a game of football containing almost 800 disposals - 406 belonging to Adelaide, with just 13 being Petrenko's.

Being able to do the flashy stuff isn't good enough if you can't get the job done often enough when attempting the regulation stuff.

So.. what are Petrenko's redeeming features? Right now, all I'm seeing is a lazy player who is doesn't get anywhere near enough of the footy - and who attempts to be flashy whenever he does (spectacular when he pulls it off, but too often he just turns the ball over). I'm struggling to see why Kerridge should not be given a game this week, selected ahead of Petrenko.

Honestly, is there any player who has been less effective across our last 2 games?

Obviously this is seen through my (admittedly) biased eyes. Now is your chance to educate me. What is it that Petrenko has to offer? Why should he gain selection this week, ahead of Kerridge, given his apparent lack of application when the heat is on in the kitchen?

Over to you, Petrenko fans...

I had Petrenko as the second worst on the field for us last weekend, ahead of Otten, and with Porplyzia just clawing ahead of him for third worst in the last quarter.

Clearly none of them are going to be dropped for round 2, but Porplyzia gets the most of what sympathy I have, with it being for all intents and purposes his first actual competitive game since round 22, 2010.

I like Petrenko but I agree with you. When you consider he isn't a big ball winner and doesn't have any size etc you would hope he would develop into a clinical finisher, vast goal assister or creator. Which he doesn't seem to be, he lacks a bit of class and finesse to fulfill the role you would suggest his body is meant for.

I think Matthew Jaensch or Matt Wright are probably superior players in either the small defender/small forward part time midfield role. At least they use the ball well and kick goals when presented with the opportunity.

I'm not convinced on Petrenko and didn't have him in my 22 for round one.

Having said that, I love his attack and I really hope he makes it, he is enjoyable to watch. It seem either he will develop well and be a high quality player or...he will be a bit of a nothing. Best case scenario we get a Daniel Kerr style midfielder who takes the game on or a clever small forward like a garlett who pressures in the forward half, sets up goals and pops up for a couple himself.

I'll probably have to watch the game back to make sure any of this makes sense but I think it's his pace which keeps him in the side even when he has a statistically poor game. He'd have to be one of our quicker and more agile players in the team and I think that helps us as a team keep the ball in our forward 50. As I said I can't remember the game well enough to qualify that statement but that's my opinion.

However I agree that his NAB GF and Round 1 appearances have been disappointing. Maybe we'll see Kerridge come in for Henderson and play as a half forward and Petrenko will start down back on the smaller Western Bulldogs forwards?

Well by your own stats provided, he doubled his output and efficiency in just one game. Given his current improvement he stands to pick up a handy 20+ possie game with an unheard of DE of 120% ( which given your current dislike of Pets will still probably not be enough :) )

I actually think he would get picked on the sheer basis that you don't change a winning combo if you can help it.

My bigger concern for him is he is in the forward line to apply defensive pressure and he only had 4 tackles this week ( though granted when it when into the 50 it was usually a score). I'd suggest it is a furphy for you to say that his tackle count means he is second at the ball, it actually means he is chasing hard and keeping the ball in the 50 for us to maxamise our scoring potential. Whilst it isn't the only thing, it is one of the aspects allowing us to kick higher scores by maxamising our forward 50 entries.

Vader - question - why is it that you blindly point to the selection table as proof that Doughty and Reilly are as good as you think they are when others dare to criticise their contribution to the team. (I'm more discussing Dogga now, Reilly earned his selection in the preseason) In particular I note a gloating comment along the lines of - I told you guys Doughty would be name for Round 1. Just cause a bunch of BFers think he's no good, all that matters is what the AFC thinks of him and they agree with me. Doughty was a certainty to be named 1. I want some apologies and someone to say "I was wrong"

Well here's an answer to you. It doesn't matter what you, me or 100 Crows fans on BF think of Petrenko - he was considered by the coaching staff to be good enough to be selected Round 1 ahead of guys like Kerridge,Jaensch etc. Exactly the same as the Doughty argument. The coaching staff rate him and they know more than you.

Or is it perhaps possible for people to have their own opinions on what contribution a certain player makes to the team and whether or not they deserve to be selected as clearly you believe it's ok for you to constantly bag Petrenko despite his continued selection but gloat at others who bag Doughty by pointing to selection as proof that you are right.

Walker dominated...damn,
Callinan was excellent save for some narrow misses on goal...bugger,
Henderson got stretchered off...can't abuse him,
Tambling played SANFL...not televised in Canberra,
Petrenko didn't have that much of the ball...DING DING DING we have a winner.

What do you want to hear! You are better at picking the team and know more about individual players than everyone at the AFC? You are a shit judge on footy talent, this whole rubbish you posted is a joke. Talk about pushing your own agenda. This site has become a big stinking pile of crap full of know it alls and armchair critics without a shred of experience or knowledge.:thumbsdown::rolleyes:
Not saying Pets is the complete player but he is an integral part of our team and structures. Get over it and your own self inflated ego/opinions and presumed knowledge on all things footy.
BTW why should anyone bother proving your opinions wrong. You have made your mind up and anything anyone says will be like pissing up the wall. waste of everyones time.

What do you want to hear! You are better at picking the team and know more about individual players than everyone at the AFC? You are a shit judge on footy talent, this whole rubbish you posted is a joke. Talk about pushing your own agenda. This site has become a big stinking pile of crap full of know it alls and armchair critics without a shred of experience or knowledge.:thumbsdown::rolleyes:
Not saying Pets is the complete player but he is an integral part of our team and structures. Get over it and your own self inflated ego/opinions and presumed knowledge on all things footy.
BTW why should anyone bother proving your opinions wrong. You have made your mind up and anything anyone says will be like pissing up the wall. waste of everyones time.

Saved me typing it.

Not so fun when it's your favourite player, is it?

As a pure small forward, Petrenko doesn't do enough and doesn't have enough genuine football ability. However, I see value in Petrenko playing as a small forward/rotating mid. I like the intensity he gives us in the midfield when he goes in there for a burst. For some reason he doesn't appear to be getting any midfield time in the last 2 weeks.

So imo the coaching panel need to either give him some time in the midfield or don't play him. As a pure small forward there are better options. I am a fan though.

I think it's more the irony that someone like Vader who continuously goes on about the "morons" on Big Footy bagging players like Doughty and Reilly despite them being selected and therefore clearly rated by the coach will turn around and write something like this about a player he feels it's ok to bag despite the fact that he was selected for Round 1 and therefore clearly rated by the coach.

In Vaders eyes:

The AFC caching staff and Vader know more than the Big Footy mob when it comes to Reilly/Dogga/Douglas etc

However

Vader knows more than the AFC coaching staff and the Big Footy mob when it comes to Petrenko.

Couldn't give a crap which player it was, it's Vaders blatant double standards regarding whether or not he personally rates a player as to whether or not selection proves that they are in fact a good player.

Should play him down back in a back pocket, that's his best position. He's a good defensively minded player but lacks the spark/creativity, in essence he's there to shut down the best HBF'er on the opposition side. Had a shit game on the weekend but I'm not too worried. No need to make knee-jerk reactions after 1 game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have no clue dude. He is no where near my fav player. Go back and view my posts the only player I have ever attacked is Scott Stevens. For those of us who have played footy you would realise SS played the easiest possie on the field and Pets currently plays the hardest. To much preoccupation with stats and not actual real footy intelegence. Hence why many people loved Stevens- they saw him get the ball a fair bit (read good SC or DT points) so he must be good?:confused:
Have a look at players over the years that have had questions over them because they dont get those 20 cheap possies that inflate their figures and real impact on the game. Most played in fwd pocket. Leon Davis, Milne, Betts, Davey, Varcoe etc. They have stats that vary a lot each week and are whipping boys for uneducated and dumb armchair critics who dont realise (like a coach does) that these players have limited impact on a full game but count on their impact to really count when they get or create an opporunity. Stats DO NOT define a footballers use to a team. I am not saying that these players were always great and do or did what they had too, but to propose the arguement that Vader has shows complete and utter lack of knowledge on how a football team works. Pets is a young player, just give him some more time, one game does not make the footballer. And yes I said one game, he was very good in the MMC granny unlike what you propose. He played his role very well and the club agrees cause the picked him for round one ahead of matty wright ( who i like as a player a lot)

I think it's more the irony that someone like Vader who continuously goes on about the "morons" on Big Footy bagging players like Doughty and Reilly despite them being selected and therefore clearly rated by the coach will turn around and write something like this about a player he feels it's ok to bag despite the fact that he was selected for Round 1 and therefore clearly rated by the coach.

In Vaders eyes:

The AFC caching staff and Vader know more than the Big Footy mob when it comes to Reilly/Dogga/Douglas etc

However

Vader knows more than the AFC coaching staff and the Big Footy mob when it comes to Petrenko.

Couldn't give a crap which player it was, it's Vaders blatant double standards regarding whether or not he personally rates a player as to whether or not selection proves that they are in fact a good player.

Boom tish!

You have no clue dude. He is no where near my fav player. Go back and view my posts the only player I have ever attacked is Scott Stevens. For those of us who have played footy you would realise SS played the easiest possie on the field and Pets currently plays the hardest. To much preoccupation with stats and not actual real footy intelegence. Hence why many people loved Stevens- they saw him get the ball a fair bit (read good SC or DT points) so he must be good?:confused:
Have a look at players over the years that have had questions over them because they dont get those 20 cheap possies that inflate their figures and real impact on the game. Most played in fwd pocket. Leon Davis, Milne, Betts, Davey, Varcoe etc. They have stats that vary a lot each week and are whipping boys for uneducated and dumb armchair critics who dont realise (like a coach does) that these players have limited impact on a full game but count on their impact to really count when they get or create an opporunity. Stats DO NOT define a footballers use to a team. I am not saying that these players were always great and do or did what they had too, but to propose the arguement that Vader has shows complete and utter lack of knowledge on how a football team works. Pets is a young player, just give him some more time, one game does not make the footballer. And yes I said one game, he was very good in the MMC granny unlike what you propose. He played his role very well and the club agrees cause the picked him for round one ahead of matty wright ( who i like as a player a lot)

It's a good point. Vader says Petrenko got a "paltry" 13 disposals so I had a bit of a look at some players playing in similar roles.

Betts highest possession average in a season is 13.8 and he started off the season with 12.

garlett's highest possession average in a season is 12.2 (Had 11 in round 1)

Milne averaged 15.1 in 2010 but every other season he has played he has averaged 13.9 or less and he is considered by some as the best small forward of all time.

Walker dominated...damn,
Callinan was excellent save for some narrow misses on goal...bugger,
Henderson got stretchered off...can't abuse him,
Tambling played SANFL...not televised in Canberra,
Petrenko didn't have that much of the ball...DING DING DING we have a winner.
Walker was very, very good. I'd rate that as the best game of his AFL career. If he keeps up that standard then he'll have an awful lot of supporters (including me) getting off his back by the end of the season.
Callinan turned me into a convert in the MMC. It's been a while since you've seen anything negative about him from me.
Henderson was playing quite well before getting stretchered off. He still has areas of his game which need attention, but you expect that from a basketball convert who is playing a new position.
Tambling can stink up the SANFL all season long for all I care.
Thus we come to Petrenko - the board's favourite darling who seems to be contributing very little. What's wrong with questioning a player who isn't performing?
Vader - question - why is it that you blindly point to the selection table as proof that Doughty and Reilly are as good as you think they are when others dare to criticise their contribution to the team. (I'm more discussing Dogga now, Reilly earned his selection in the preseason) In particular I note a gloating comment along the lines of - I told you guys Doughty would be name for Round 1. Just cause a bunch of BFers think he's no good, all that matters is what the AFC thinks of him and they agree with me. Doughty was a certainty to be named 1. I want some apologies and someone to say "I was wrong"

Well here's an answer to you. It doesn't matter what you, me or 100 Crows fans on BF think of Petrenko - he was considered by the coaching staff to be good enough to be selected Round 1 ahead of guys like Kerridge,Jaensch etc. Exactly the same as the Doughty argument. The coaching staff rate him and they know more than you.

Or is it perhaps possible for people to have their own opinions on what contribution a certain player makes to the team and whether or not they deserve to be selected as clearly you believe it's ok for you to constantly bag Petrenko despite his continued selection but gloat at others who bag Doughty by pointing to selection as proof that you are right.
In case it missed your attention, I had Petrenko amongst the 17 "definites" all pre-season and I named him in the team I expected to play in R1. I also expect him to play in R2, despite being more than slightly underwhelming thus far this year. I'm not pretending to know better than the AFL selectors.

What I'm trying to do is challenge all the Petrenko fans on here (and there are plenty of them) to justify his abysmal start to the season. His poor MMC GF performance was partially justified by the way he blanketed Hurn. I've yet to hear of any redeeming features to his R1 performance.
Well by your own stats provided, he doubled his output and efficiency in just one game. Given his current improvement he stands to pick up a handy 20+ possie game with an unheard of DE of 120% ( which given your current dislike of Pets will still probably not be enough :) )

I actually think he would get picked on the sheer basis that you don't change a winning combo if you can help it.
If he has a 20+ disposal game, with 80%+ disposal efficiency, then he'll go a long way towards getting me off his back (at least in the short term).
My bigger concern for him is he is in the forward line to apply defensive pressure and he only had 4 tackles this week ( though granted when it when into the 50 it was usually a score). I'd suggest it is a furphy for you to say that his tackle count means he is second at the ball, it actually means he is chasing hard and keeping the ball in the 50 for us to maxamise our scoring potential. Whilst it isn't the only thing, it is one of the aspects allowing us to kick higher scores by maxamising our forward 50 entries.
Is "chasing hard" not the same as "being 2nd to the ball"? Surely he wouldn't have to "chase hard" if he'd actually worked harder in the first place to win the ball himself?
Thank-you for adding absolutely nothing to the discussion.

So far I've seen lots of people wanting to play the man, while completely ignoring the ball (srv23, whitey_1975, Wood_Duck). Abusing me, while completely avoiding the topic being discussed, is beneath contempt. If you don't actually have anything to add to the conversation, then just go away and leave it to the adults.

I'm still waiting for any of Petrenko's fans to come out and tell me what it is that he has to offer. I have no doubt that the selectors will name him this week, with Henderson the only likely omission.. but why should they do so if his form continues to stink?

Come on folks.. play the ball. Pick up the challenge. I don't rate him, but lots of you do.. so justify your position.

Nail. Hammer. Head. :thumbsu:

It's a good point. Vader says Petrenko got a "paltry" 13 disposals so I had a bit of a look at some players playing in similar roles.

Betts highest possession average in a season is 13.8 and he started off the season with 12.

Milne averaged 15.1 in 2010 but every other season he has played he has averaged 13.9 or less and he is considered by some as the best small forward of all time.

In those 'best' seasons, Betts averaged 1.8 goals a game, Garlett 2 goals a game, Milne 2.3 goals a game.

In his best season, Petrenko averaged 0.5 goals a game.

Leon Davis, in his small forward days, averaged anywhere from 0.7 to 1.5 goals a game, and he has and will forever be considered unfulfilled talent.

Now we're getting somewhere. I thought this one would come up..

If it was so hard for small forwards to win possession of the ball last week, how do you explain Callinan (18 disposals) and Porplyzia (17) both having considerably more of the ball than Petrenko?

As NTRabbit has pointed out.. Petrenko doesn't deserve to be measured against the players you've named. His goal output just doesn't stack up.

Over the course of 2010 Petrenko averaged 15.2 disposals. Over the last two weeks he's averaged 10. He's down by roughly 30% - and things aren't going to get much easier than he had it against our R1 opponent.

You are preaching to the converted:D
If only some others listened they might learn a thing or two, and I am by no means the footy expert. Just listen to what the club says (re: selection) and I never heard Pets mentioned as not being the first choice for his possie. they rate him!!!!

I had Petrenko as the second worst on the field for us last weekend, ahead of Otten, and with Porplyzia just clawing ahead of him for third worst in the last quarter.

Clearly none of them are going to be dropped for round 2, but Porplyzia gets the most of what sympathy I have, with it being for all intents and purposes his first actual competitive game since round 22, 2010.

Wow. Amazing crap call:thumbsu:

Now we're getting somewhere. I thought this one would come up..

If it was so hard for small forwards to win possession of the ball last week, how do you explain Callinan (18 disposals) and Porplyzia (17) both having considerably more of the ball than Petrenko?

As NTRabbit has pointed out.. Petrenko doesn't deserve to be measured against the players you've named. His goal output just doesn't stack up.

Over the course of 2010 Petrenko averaged 15.2 disposals. Over the last two weeks he's averaged 10. He's down by roughly 30% - and things aren't going to get much easier than he had it against our R1 opponent.

So because they are all small and play in the fwd half they play the same role??? I cant debate this with you as I dont have the patience. Did pets play the same role this year as he did all last? No. so your stat comparison is useless oin last years figs.
Callinen has license to come up the ground and creat where as Pets plays a shut down defensive role that alows him less latitude to get possies up the ground. If you think Porps is a crumbing forward first and foremost you havent watched the same games I have. He plays a leading small forward role much like a LeCras or any resting mid. I end my part in this conversation.

Wow. Amazing crap call:thumbsu:

Not really no. He had little of the ball, and little in the way of impact on the game, the checkside into the goalsquare notwithstanding. Otten was clearly worst on deck, and Porplyzia was able to salvage something in the last quarter.

In those 'best' seasons, Betts averaged 1.8 goals a game, Garlett 2 goals a game, Milne 2.3 goals a game.

In his best season, Petrenko averaged 0.5 goals a game.

Leon Davis, in his small forward days, averaged anywhere from 0.7 to 1.5 goals a game, and he has and will forever be considered unfulfilled talent.

OMG, Leon Davis an unfullfilled talent! In your humble opinion! Lets not bring up that most of these players are Aboriginal and are easy targets for white bastards and white press and white commentators. Pets has played the position you are comparing for what- 10 games in his entire career?! Always back to stats, its your only arguement.
BTW You can always bet on black. BPP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jared Petrenko

Remove this Banner Ad

Back