Jared Polec

Remove this Banner Ad

10155546_10152154479338882_9017233589832367065_n.jpg

Admittedly I have noticed him not chasing as hard as he could be a few times. There was one moment I remember early in the first quarter on the wing yesterday when Matt White was forced to chase Polec's man because Polec didn't go with him. I suppose that if you were a Lions supporter and you were desperate to make yourself feel better, you'd latch onto those slight concerns for all they're worth :D
Polec's defensive stats:
Contested Possessions - Equal 74th.
Clearances - 84th
Centre Clearances - 55th
Tackles - 171st
1%'s - 164th
Rebound 50 - 108th

Compared to overall 38th in disposals
10th in bounces
6th in inside 50's

First up I think Polec is going really well this year. And it is sometimes a case of lies, damn lies and statistics, but you can take something out of those.

Now I wouldn't expect Polec to ever dominate clearances or contested possessions - he's there for the fast receive and afterburn. However the low tackles, 1%'s and rebound 50 do show that he could run more the other way and provide more pressure on the opposition when he doesn't have the ball or about to receive it.

I cut him slack this season though as he's coming off virtually a zero fitness base. He looks like a boy playing with men (the rest of the team). I think it's next season that we'll really see the best of him (to the horror of the rest of the competition and our joy :p) and would expect him to work harder when not in possession.

What playing Freo has brought up for me is a reminder of Pearce. We missed him last year and having found Polec has gone and totally filled that loss. Polec is Pearce mk2, a far, far better kick, and generally smarter footballer.
These returning players in Monfries, Ebert and Polec have been crazily massive for us. If we could just pinch a Sam Day or cheap Bryce Gibbs we'd be set!

What playing Freo has brought up for me is a reminder of Pearce. We missed him last year and having found Polec has gone and totally filled that loss. Polec is Pearce mk2, a far, far better kick, and generally smarter footballer.
These returning players in Monfries, Ebert and Polec have been crazily massive for us. If we could just pinch a Sam Day or cheap Bryce Gibbs we'd be set!

I didnt

We may not have as an individual but our team did and it was a motivator in hunting some outside pace this year.
Go and watch last years GF again & tell me how much you miss him,

Apart from outside run Polec actually tackles & gets contested ball as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

pearce tackles well now, he's added a lot of strength and gets a lot of contested ball. i wouldn't say he's improved because his outside work has decreased but he's very good for the dockers, plays an important role for them. i can't judge Pearce on that one game where everyone was down.

I cant tell if you didnt read my post or you are just agreeing with me?

Regardless i agree, we are very lucky. I was not sure about Polec and how he'd go but i think he's exceeding everyones expectations.

On the fact that our side needed a Pearce type player last year i think thats pretty obvious, you replace a Mitchell or Colquhoun for example with Pearce and we wouldve been even better last year. So as I said we are lucky we've been able to find an upgrade on Pearce in Polec.

I cant tell if you didnt read my post or you are just agreeing with me?

Regardless i agree, we are very lucky. I was not sure about Polec and how he'd go but i think he's exceeding everyones expectations.

On the fact that our side needed a Pearce type player last year i think thats pretty obvious, you replace a Mitchell or Colquhoun for example with Pearce and we wouldve been even better last year. So as I said we are lucky we've been able to find an upgrade on Pearce in Polec.
We were a better side for letting Pearce and Chaplin go last year, we could of matched Pearce's offer but didn't. Outside runners are always important but you dont overpay players who lack the minerals.

pearce tackles well now, he's added a lot of strength and gets a lot of contested ball. i wouldn't say he's improved because his outside work has decreased but he's very good for the dockers, plays an important role for them. i can't judge Pearce on that one game where everyone was down.

Yeah Polec has Pearce just covered on disposals, tackles, uncontested ball and kills him in r50's, 1%ers, disposal %, bounces, the same number of clearances and Pearce has him edged in goal assists, i50's and clearances.

I'd love to see the metres gained stats for the both of them, I think Polec would have him covered.

Yeah Polec has Pearce just covered on disposals, tackles, uncontested ball and kills him in r50's, 1%ers, disposal %, bounces, the same number of clearances and Pearce has him edged in goal assists, i50's and clearances.

I'd love to see the metres gained stats for the both of them, I think Polec would have him covered.

You have to separate the i50s into "Kicks inside 50" and "Helicopter kicks inside 50".

Polec's defensive stats:
Contested Possessions - Equal 74th.
Clearances - 84th
Centre Clearances - 55th
Tackles - 171st
1%'s - 164th
Rebound 50 - 108th

Compared to overall 38th in disposals
10th in bounces
6th in inside 50's

First up I think Polec is going really well this year. And it is sometimes a case of lies, damn lies and statistics, but you can take something out of those.

Tackles is low for sure, but he is definitely an able tackler.

Rebound 50s and 1%er stats are disingenuous though.

108th in the league for R50 when he's competing against actual defenders who spend their entire time in the back 50? That's not too shabby at all when you consider how many inside 50s he has.

And the easiest way to get 1% stats is through spoils. I think you'll find players like Gibson and Hombsch will be high in that stat for again, the same reason as above - they're defenders.

Defensively, I think he's been better than Wingard, even Wingard last year. But no one has complained about Wingard's defence. The only reason people bring it up with Polec is because Brisbane posters keep throwing it up to try and diminish how good he has been for us.

It's the biggest non-issue out.

Tackles is low for sure, but he is definitely an able tackler.

Rebound 50s and 1%er stats are disingenuous though.

108th in the league for R50 when he's competing against actual defenders who spend their entire time in the back 50? That's not too shabby at all when you consider how many inside 50s he has.

And the easiest way to get 1% stats is through spoils. I think you'll find players like Gibson and Hombsch will be high in that stat for again, the same reason as above - they're defenders.

Defensively, I think he's been better than Wingard, even Wingard last year. But no one has complained about Wingard's defence. The only reason people bring it up with Polec is because Brisbane posters keep throwing it up to try and diminish how good he has been for us.

It's the biggest non-issue out.

Its like Steve Nash and his lack of steals... Worries me not.

That much publicised tough love

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...ial-into-reality/story-fnia6ojc-1226910988879
“We (Hinkley) both knew I was sick but I’m so glad I did run it because I would never have gotten spoken to like that otherwise, and that there when he (Hinkley) pulled me aside was a massive wake-up call that I had to lift and put effort into this pre-season,” Polec said.
That well publicised tough love
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...ial-into-reality/story-fnia6ojc-1226910988879

Remove this Banner Ad

Jared Polec

Remove this Banner Ad

Back